arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

New To Boards, Anyone Here Both Gluten And Amylose Free?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 happyzot

happyzot

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:58 AM

Hi,
I've recently been diagnosed Celiac. I have other auto immune and diabetic issues as well. My Dr. told me I have to be both Amylose AND Gluten free. I'm looking for help and information.

Thanks,
Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:51 PM

Hi,
I've recently been diagnosed Celiac. I have other auto immune and diabetic issues as well. My Dr. told me I have to be both Amylose AND Gluten free. I'm looking for help and information.

Thanks,
Karen

Just wanted to say welcome! I'm not Amylose free, but maybe if I bump this up someone else will see it. Please stick around and feel free to ask lots of questions.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#3 dudley

dudley

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:48 AM

Hi,

Thanks,
Karen

#4 dudley

dudley

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:49 AM

Hi,

Thanks,
Karen

My doctor recently suggested I read several books by Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker (Desperation Medicine, Mold Warriors, & Lose the Weight You Hate). As a result, I have been following a amylose-free, gluten-free diet. On the gluten-free side, I can not have cereals, rice, potatoes, pasta nor bread. On the amylose-free side, I can not have bananas, foods enriched with maltodextrins or corn syrup, foods from wheat, rice, rye, barley or oats nor can I have root vegetables (except garlic & onions). Some examples of vegetables that grow underground are: potatoes, carrots, radishes, peanuts, etc. All other fruit (except bananas) is allowed according to Dr. Shoemaker.

Frito-Lay makes many gluten-free products (including Fritos and Tostitos). Baked Tostitos are a healthier alternative to the regular ones. For a list of all the gluten-free products by Frito-Lay, go to www.fritolay.com and click on "for your health" for a complete list.

Obviously I am not a doctor. I am just passing on the information I have been following based on the books mentioned above.

#5 Firegirl43

Firegirl43

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:06 AM

Whats amylose
SARAH

Celiac since 05
egg allergy since 08

#6 smithered

smithered

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

My doctor recently suggested I read several books by Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker (Desperation Medicine, Mold Warriors, & Lose the Weight You Hate). As a result, I have been following a amylose-free, gluten-free diet. On the gluten-free side, I can not have cereals, rice, potatoes, pasta nor bread. On the amylose-free side, I can not have bananas, foods enriched with maltodextrins or corn syrup, foods from wheat, rice, rye, barley or oats nor can I have root vegetables (except garlic & onions). Some examples of vegetables that grow underground are: potatoes, carrots, radishes, peanuts, etc. All other fruit (except bananas) is allowed according to Dr. Shoemaker.

Frito-Lay makes many gluten-free products (including Fritos and Tostitos). Baked Tostitos are a healthier alternative to the regular ones. For a list of all the gluten-free products by Frito-Lay, go to www.fritolay.com and click on "for your health" for a complete list.

Obviously I am not a doctor. I am just passing on the information I have been following based on the books mentioned above.

#7 smithered

smithered

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:48 PM

i took your advice on dr. ritchie but amazon books and chapters does not have this author in their files. i would appreciate if you could tell me where to buy his books online . thanks im new here and like the info

#8 mftnchn

mftnchn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

I'm not sure what the science behind the amylose free is. What I have read is that most vegetables are a combination of amylose and amylopectin, and it is the latter that is hard to digest.

The specific carbohydrate diet (Breaking the Vicious Cycle) discusses this issue. The SCD approach eliminates sugars that have to be broken down, grains, vegetables like potatos, yams, taro, but allows most other vegetables, allows fruits, nuts, proteins, and dairy that is totally lactose free. The eliminated vegetables are carefully considered in terms of their amylose to amylopectin ratio.

Celiac damages the villi with the enzymes to digest carbs are produced (at least the final steps of digestion).
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: