Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

New To Boards, Anyone Here Both Gluten And Amylose Free?

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've recently been diagnosed Celiac. I have other auto immune and diabetic issues as well. My Dr. told me I have to be both Amylose AND Gluten free. I'm looking for help and information.

Thanks,

Karen

Ads by Google:
Hi,

I've recently been diagnosed Celiac. I have other auto immune and diabetic issues as well. My Dr. told me I have to be both Amylose AND Gluten free. I'm looking for help and information.

Thanks,

Karen

Just wanted to say welcome! I'm not Amylose free, but maybe if I bump this up someone else will see it. Please stick around and feel free to ask lots of questions.

Hi,

Thanks,

Karen

Hi,

Thanks,

Karen

My doctor recently suggested I read several books by Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker (Desperation Medicine, Mold Warriors, & Lose the Weight You Hate). As a result, I have been following a amylose-free, gluten-free diet. On the gluten-free side, I can not have cereals, rice, potatoes, pasta nor bread. On the amylose-free side, I can not have bananas, foods enriched with maltodextrins or corn syrup, foods from wheat, rice, rye, barley or oats nor can I have root vegetables (except garlic & onions). Some examples of vegetables that grow underground are: potatoes, carrots, radishes, peanuts, etc. All other fruit (except bananas) is allowed according to Dr. Shoemaker.

Frito-Lay makes many gluten-free products (including Fritos and Tostitos). Baked Tostitos are a healthier alternative to the regular ones. For a list of all the gluten-free products by Frito-Lay, go to www.fritolay.com and click on "for your health" for a complete list.

Obviously I am not a doctor. I am just passing on the information I have been following based on the books mentioned above.

My doctor recently suggested I read several books by Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker (Desperation Medicine, Mold Warriors, & Lose the Weight You Hate). As a result, I have been following a amylose-free, gluten-free diet. On the gluten-free side, I can not have cereals, rice, potatoes, pasta nor bread. On the amylose-free side, I can not have bananas, foods enriched with maltodextrins or corn syrup, foods from wheat, rice, rye, barley or oats nor can I have root vegetables (except garlic & onions). Some examples of vegetables that grow underground are: potatoes, carrots, radishes, peanuts, etc. All other fruit (except bananas) is allowed according to Dr. Shoemaker.

Frito-Lay makes many gluten-free products (including Fritos and Tostitos). Baked Tostitos are a healthier alternative to the regular ones. For a list of all the gluten-free products by Frito-Lay, go to www.fritolay.com and click on "for your health" for a complete list.

Obviously I am not a doctor. I am just passing on the information I have been following based on the books mentioned above.

i took your advice on dr. ritchie but amazon books and chapters does not have this author in their files. i would appreciate if you could tell me where to buy his books online . thanks im new here and like the info

I'm not sure what the science behind the amylose free is. What I have read is that most vegetables are a combination of amylose and amylopectin, and it is the latter that is hard to digest.

The specific carbohydrate diet (Breaking the Vicious Cycle) discusses this issue. The SCD approach eliminates sugars that have to be broken down, grains, vegetables like potatos, yams, taro, but allows most other vegetables, allows fruits, nuts, proteins, and dairy that is totally lactose free. The eliminated vegetables are carefully considered in terms of their amylose to amylopectin ratio.

Celiac damages the villi with the enzymes to digest carbs are produced (at least the final steps of digestion).