Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

How Much Would You Pay For A Pill?

19 posts in this topic

I am doing some research on developing potential new therapies for celiac disease and am wondering, how much would you be willing to pay each day if you could take a pill that would let you eat a normal diet? How much would you pay per year?

Ads by Google:

Thats a good question. at $5 to $6 a loaf of brick like bread and $8 a box for average cornflakes...It adds up..I'd pay a lot if I could afford it. I'd start at $10 to $15 Canadian per week... About $500 to $800 per year...I 'd find that difficult to afford but I'd go for it!!! ...RDV:)

I wouldn't give one red cent for a pill. I have taken pills all of my life because of this disease. I would just keep on with the diet as is. I feel better than ever and have more energy than most 60 year olds should have. Pills? Thanks any way. RS

I wouldn't take it regularly. Following the diet, when you get creative and good with your cooking (branching out where need be) really isn't that hard, and is healthy to boot. I'd consider paying up to $2/dose for special occasions, but that'd be ~twice a year.

I agree with Tiffany. I wouldn't use the pill on a daily basis, but would probably use it more than twice a year. Following the diet at home is easy, but we take chances every time we go out of the house and eat somewhere else. I would certainly like the option of having a pill that would lessen the reaction to accidental intake of gluten, but as a treatment everyday, so I could eat all the gluten filled foods I want...NO THANKS!

I don't think it would even be possible to develop a pill that would be able to keep the intestines from being damaged and I would not want to risk my health just to be able to eat more conveniently. I mean even Lactaid doesn't stop a person from being lactose intolerant. They still have to be cautious with dairy foods and it doesn't completely stop every reaction. With gluten we are talking actual intestinal damage, as well as an increase in the risk for intestinal cancer and other complications. It just isn't worth it.

God bless,

Mariann

I'm not trying to be negative, but life isn't always about taking the easy way...

Do you mean a pill that would cure my celiac disease forever, or a pill that I would have to take everyday, till the end of my life, just to be able to eat gluten?

If you mean the former, I would pay any amount I could afford, even if it would take not just one "magical" pill, but a longer therapy (say, a few weeks or even a few months). If in the end I could hope to be cured, I would give it a try at any cost.

If you mean the latter, I'm not sure I would use it - maybe for special occassions, as the people above already said, and only if I could be sure that it really blocks the damage done to my intestines. Having a pill that would enable us to eat normally sounds just great, but I'd be worried about the side effects of taking any medication every day, for years and years. Surely that cannot be good for your liver. I'd be worried even more that the pill could not be 100% sure - like I'm not sure Lactaid helps you digest every single bit of lactose that you ingest. What if despite taking the pill, there would still be some amounts of gluten left that would hurt your intestines? In my case, I could not know about it for a long time, because I don't have symptoms after small amounts of gluten, but I would still suffer from it in the long run.

To be honest, when I first read the question, it reminded me of an opinion I have read in some newspaper some time ago, stating that it will be a long time before some kind of vaccination for AIDS will be invented, mainly because drug makers gain too much profit from selling all those medications that are believed to help people with AIDS live longer. I am not jumping to conclusions that the question that started this thread was asked with such meaning, and I think any efforts to find remedy for celiac disease should be supported, because some day, someone might manage to find it. Still, as for myself, I'd prefer a treatment for the disease itself and not for its effects only.

How much would I pay for a pill that would allow me to eat anything I wanted and not feel sick, GUARANTEED? Well right now I am on many different medications for celiac disease, which help me dramatically. If I could get rid of all those, take one pill and eat anything....HMMMM I think I would pay what I pay now for scripts monthly, about $100.00. If this magic pill would cure me forever, I would pay whatever I could afford.

I would hope that this pill would come with some sort of guarantee.

I hope this helps with you research.

Linda

It is so refreshing to actually hear people say they'd just stick with the diet. We live in such a "take a pill and it'll be okay" kind of time that I expected more people would go with that option. I have to agree. I don't think a medication could be developed which could guarantee that I wouldn't have other problems in the long run. Same kind of reasoning I use in my decision to avoid artificial sweeteners-all of them.

Linda-Do you mind my asking what meds you take? Just curious, as I didn't know anything really helped except gluten-free.

Celeste

does anybody know about any research thats bein done on celiac disease that would give us some hope in the future for us or for our children to not have celiac disease?

i'm wondering how far they are from a cure?

Ditto to most of the other comments. I take ZERO pills or meds, and I like it that way! I will only take a pill if it is life or death - and even then I might stop and think about it!!! :P

Besides, why do I need a pill? I've already been cured! (the diet)

Since this disease is an autoimune disorder anyway, I doubt there ever will be a pill. Seems like more of a genetic engineering thing to prevent our offspring from getting it, rather than us being "cured".

Sadly, this is one of the biggest reasons this disease remains in the shadows. Since there is no pill, you don't have multi-billion dollar pharm. companies advertising on the evening blues every night. Just about everyone knows about acid reflux disease, erectile dysfunction, and a host of others because of these commercials.

If a celiac pill came out I would probably only use it to avoid cross-contamination when eating out or when eating at other people's houses. I don't know if I would trust it to use all the time. In order to convince me to use it all the time, I'd have to see good scientific results and scientific studies that prove that it works and does not allow any intestinal damage.

I would pay up to 75/year to use only when eating out, which would be about 2-3x a month if I had the pill.

-Carrie

I don't take any pills other than vitamins but if there was a celiac pill, i'd take it probably every day. Not sure how much I'd be willing to shell out for it but I am italian and grew up italian my entire life . . . if there were no other side effects from the pill, I'd have more than one a day!

i also would use a pill like that sporadically, maybe once or twice a month, when i go to a bbq or party. it would be nice to be able to pick on something that i normally wouldn't have. i would pay 2 dollars (us) for that.

WHAT I WOULD PAY UPWARDS OF $5 FOR would be a pill that would stop a gluten reaction when it's already started. lol, keep dreaming, bubble.

lol, I would pay $10-$20 for something that would stop a gluten reaction if I got contaminated!

I know my BF missed pizzia and Olive Garden bread sticks. . .

If there was a pill my consern would be heath before luxury. If a pill a day could help relieve symptoms and help prevent/stop bodily damage it would be a worthwhile investment even if it wasn't a "magic cure". So much like insulin. . .it doesn't mean you can eat all the sugar you want but it makes living with it a ton easier.

I agree with the others, I WOULD pay for a pill that would completely stop in it's tracks a gluten reaction from contamination! The amount I would be willing to pay would depend on how well it worked! And as I said before would like the option of preventing a reaction when eating away from home, but why would I need to buy pills to take daily just to eat anything I wanted. I'm healthier now and losing weight for the first time since I was a teenager, and believe me that is a big deal! I am an overweight Celiac who chose to do the diet before I got sick to the point of weight loss and massive intestinal damage. To chose to go back on gluten and trust my new found health to a pill just seems odd to me. It might be nice to have a pill around for when we are on vacation and are eating out at every meal, since it is awful to feel sick while on vacation.

God bless,

Mariann

If there were a "Gluten-Blocker" that I could take before Thanksgiving dinner at my sister-in-law's or before a special wedding dinner, I'd shell out $5 - $10 for - it to be able to eat without worry. As for a daily pill, I'd rather stay gluten-free, I think. I'm so used to it it's not a big deal.

If a daily pill could be developed to counter celiac disease, that would be a major breakthrough. I would pay $50/month easy. That wouldn't be much to live a normal life.

I am really surprised by some of the earlier replies. A pill would make my life easier as well as my spouse's. Travel would be easier on business trips and it would be great just to have a cold Miller Lite again !!!!