kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

could be your allergic to the lipstick tree -
Bixa orellana.

its a relative of chocolate, Kola, Okra and cotton. In itself the tree is gluten free. what some companies might do to it is another story.
Annatto that is making you sick might be for another reason.

good luck

I'd like to add a comment about my own experiences with annatto. I have been gluten-free for about 3 1/2 years now & have much less trouble than before. But I still react to things that I don't yet know what they are. Hives, swelling of fingers, palms, wrist, soles of my feet. But worst is when my tongue suddenly swells up, which happens a lot.
I have kept a food diary & have had suspicions about certain flavored syrups as well as eggnog & the margarine I use. I have finally narrowed it all down to the common ingredient of annatto.
The reaction is usually about 2 hours later. It is probably a true allergy & not an intolerance in the way the celiac thing is. I have found a margarine that has beta-carotene as a coloring agent & am going to try that out. Looking forward to a breakfast of gluten-free muffins, annatto-free margarine, & NO tongue-swelling.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Beth P.

Beth P.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

could be your allergic to the lipstick tree -
Bixa orellana.

its a relative of chocolate, Kola, Okra and cotton. In itself the tree is gluten free. what some companies might do to it is another story.
Annatto that is making you sick might be for another reason.

good luck

Thanks for that info! I had a hard time finding this thread again to find your reply. It's interesting that the tree is related to chocolate, since I am also allergic to chocolate.

There are SO MANY booby-traps! I just now read the list of ingredients on a bottle of pop I was drinking. Fanta orange soda in the glass bottle: contains modified food starch.................

Beth P.

#18 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

I just now read the list of ingredients on a bottle of pop I was drinking. Fanta orange soda in the glass bottle: contains modified food starch.................

Modified food starch is usually tapioca or corn. If it was wheat--which I have never seen to be the case in North America--it would have to be stated as such using the word "wheat." Some very old lists contain it since prior to 2006 it could be undisclosed wheat. It is no longer a concern.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: