This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wedding Gift Ideas For Brother And Fiancee

NicoleAJ

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

So my brother is getting married in three weeks. He and I are very close, and I really love the woman he's decided to spend his life with as well. I'd like to get them a unique and special gift rather than buying from the registry. For the shower I ended up getting them a set of glasses and pitchers and things and a really nice cookbook holder, but for the wedding, I want to get them something heartfelt that they'll always remember. They are 34 and 27. My brother is in the process of opening a restaurant that he bought recently, and his fiancee is a public relations executive. They live in Miami and they love great food and wine. I just don't want to get them something common and mundane, so if anyone has a good ideas for a really nice gift, I'd really appreciate it. By the way, my parents own a frame shop, so they've already got the framing of the wedding pictures under control.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

lol... for my wedding, I was rather afraid that some close friend or family member would say "oh, I don't want to get them some boring old thing off the registry" and get me something different. *shudder* then we'd end up with something that, while well meant, either fit just one of our tastes, or was close to something we'd like, but not quite there, because nobody has exactly the same tastes as what my husband and I would compromise on.

don't get me wrong, I hate buying off registries too. impersonal and unimaginative. oh, well, actually not impersonal at all, since it's exactly what the couple wants, but still very unimaginative.

if you're determined to go off-registry, consider how well you know your soon-to-be sister-in-law. knowing your brother very well is fabulous, but totally insufficient in a wedding gift, because getting something that speaks to him but not her could have an alienating effect, no matter your relationship. then consider only what they would like - what fits them at this time?

I'd probably shy away from food and wine gifts, unless you are more expert than they, because the odds of getting that "wow" gift are low. Getting something for the restaurant, would seem more for one of them than the other. And sometimes, people get tired of getting gifts that relate to their main interest from other people - they'd like variety. :) Some people like gifts for the house (niknaks), but some people (like myself) HATE them almost universally.... Ok, I suppose I'm rambling at this point.

In summary, I'd reconsider sticking to the registry, and consider getting them something special as a 'side gift', if you will, if it crosses your path, particularly something homemade, like a photoalbum/scrapbook. Barring that, I'd encourage "off-main-interest" gifts, if they are the sort of people who have more than one interest, making sure it's something that will appeal to both of them. Finally, I don't think they will think of your gift as common and mundane, because it'll be attached to memories of you. (Though, after a wedding, there's nothing wrong with common and mundane! :) )

jerseyangel Proficient

I agree with Tiffany on this--buying from the registry will insure that the gift will be wanted and used. They will think of you everytime! I also would do a personal little gift for them, something meaningful :)

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I've done two special gifts for people. I'm a scrapbooker, so I've made a couple of scrapbooks for different people. One album I just did the pages, they could put in their own photos later. One time I made an album, took pictures and ran down to the 1 hour photo to get them developed. I slapped them in the book, wrapped it and they had an instant memento to take with them. One time I did a whole album and gave it to them on their anniversary.

Another time I made a Scrabble gameboard and spelled out all their names, wedding date, where they had the first date, etc. That was a lot of fun, very personal - no two are a like!

Have fun!

happygirl Collaborator

I got a few really special gifts...

a blanket from Things Remembered that has a little patten in one corner, with our names and dates (there are various patterns/what you want it to say). We were given that by a groomsmen and his wife (my husband was in his wedding as well) and we treasure it. It is just such a sweet thought. We have started that as one of our traditions to give people.

my sister knew we wanted nice crystal candlesticks. She found a perfect (but very expensive one) from Waterford and gave them to us (she was like 19 at the time). It was so thoughtful and they are really treasured by us! We think of her everytime we use them.

Photo collage from my college girlfriends

Something that was really neat that my husband's grandparents did. They took a recent picture of us, blew it up, and then mounted it on a piece of wood. He is a woodworker, and cut it into "puzzle pieces" ... put a white backing on the other side....passed a piece out to everyone at our rehearsal dinner. Everyone wrote us a sweet little note, and then they put it back together. It hangs in our home, and every so often, we take it down and see what everyone wrote. It has our parents, siblings, grandparents, cousins, and bridal party....it is SO special to us.

(a lot of times, I like to get something off the registry, and then something that has more meaning, like the blanket)

hope this helps---have fun at the wedding!

tarnalberry Community Regular
a blanket from Things Remembered that has a little patten in one corner, with our names and dates (there are various patterns/what you want it to say). We were given that by a groomsmen and his wife (my husband was in his wedding as well) and we treasure it. It is just such a sweet thought. We have started that as one of our traditions to give people.

these are the sorts of things I'm thinking of that can be very hit or miss. my grandmother got us a blanket much like this. I know she meant well, and I VERY much appreciate the thought behind it and her intentions. but it's soooooo not us. it's in a closet somewhere and has never seen the light of day. :rolleyes: I will always remember what she meant by the gift, but the gift itself definitely didn't fit us.

for laura, though, it was a great gift, in intention, and execution! something that she appreciates for the thought as well as the gift itself and something that she really 'gets'. it is a gift that really matches with her, and that makes it a fabulous thing indeed! (the sort of goal I know I have in mind when I'm doing gift giving.)

hehehe... there are no bad gifts, just bad combinations of gifts and people to give them to? ;)

2kids4me Contributor

Are they adventurous?

What about a hot air balloon ride? - I think some companies offer champagne flights etc. depends how much $$ you have budgeted.

memorable, one of a kind gift. - you get them the certificate and they book it when its convenient

Be there and take pictures of them taking off etc...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I was at a wedding where a very creative person had made a wall quilt by taking photos of the two people throughout childhood, transferring them to cloth squares and sewing the squares into a quilt.

OK, you might not be able to pull this off in three weeks, but you could save photos from the wedding and do something similar for their first anniversary. If they are wall hanging type of people.

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the ideas--they sound great. I'm going to keep considering it for a while. I actually know someone who just got engaged in a hot air balloon this week and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, the bride isn't much for heights. The one thing on their registry that I would consider getting them is a new luggage set. Theirs is pretty sorry, and who wants to go on the honeymoon with dilapidated luggage? In fact, my brother's boarding bag is one that he swiped from my parents when he went to college well over a decade ago (and it was old then too). In addition, the bride packs even more clothing and shoes than I do on trips, so it would probably be something that they could use for a long time to come.

jerseyangel Proficient
Thanks for all of the ideas--they sound great. I'm going to keep considering it for a while. I actually know someone who just got engaged in a hot air balloon this week and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, the bride isn't much for heights. The one thing on their registry that I would consider getting them is a new luggage set. Theirs is pretty sorry, and who wants to go on the honeymoon with dilapidated luggage? In fact, my brother's boarding bag is one that he swiped from my parents when he went to college well over a decade ago (and it was old then too). In addition, the bride packs even more clothing and shoes than I do on trips, so it would probably be something that they could use for a long time to come.

I think the luggage is a great idea--one they will certainly appreciate, and get good use out of. If you do decide to give them a little additional "something personal", you could put that inside one of the bags :D

Robina Contributor
So my brother is getting married in three weeks. He and I are very close, and I really love the woman he's decided to spend his life with as well. I'd like to get them a unique and special gift rather than buying from the registry. For the shower I ended up getting them a set of glasses and pitchers and things and a really nice cookbook holder, but for the wedding, I want to get them something heartfelt that they'll always remember. They are 34 and 27. My brother is in the process of opening a restaurant that he bought recently, and his fiancee is a public relations executive. They live in Miami and they love great food and wine. I just don't want to get them something common and mundane, so if anyone has a good ideas for a really nice gift, I'd really appreciate it. By the way, my parents own a frame shop, so they've already got the framing of the wedding pictures under control.

Why not make a special gift basket up? Like a basket filled with honeymoon treats (e.g. champagne and champagne glasses, candles, romantic celiac disease, chocolates, etc.) and also with sentimental stuff like a nice picture frame, a book for couples, etc.) I did that for a dear friend's wedding and she raved about it to all of her friends.

Guhlia Rising Star

Perhaps the luggage set with a few honeymoon "treats" packed inside? Maybe some massage oil and some candles or something else inexpensive yet romantic. That way they're getting exactly what they want, but you're adding your personal touch to it.

Nantzie Collaborator

For our wedding, nobody bought off the registry. I think we got two presents from the registry. Which I actually didn't mind.

But what so many people got us was wine glasses. We ended up with over 50 wine glasses. :lol:

My personal rule when I buy people presents that I'm not sure about is that it has to easily fit in either a drawer or on a closet shelf. So if they don't like it or it doesn't go with anything, but they aren't comfortable telling me, they can keep it without having to have it out all the time.

Right now, we have an oak rocking chair in the middle of our living room. My husband's oldest friend's mother bought it for us for our wedding. It's lovely, but not our taste and doesn't go with anything else we have.

You could get them something off the registry and then surprise them after the honeymoon with post-vacation massage gift certificates. I know when I get back from a trip I feel like I need a vacation just because traveling and airports and schlepping luggage around wears you out.

Nancy

aikiducky Apprentice
romantic celiac disease, ...

Must be the first time I ever saw this combination of words... :D:D:D

Pauliina

Nantzie Collaborator
Must be the first time I ever saw this combination of words... :D:D:D

Pauliina

:lol::lol::lol:

theprincess Newbie

Some of the best gifts we got for our wedding weren't on our registry. I'm a scrapbooker so I always like that idea, but the idea of something that is special to them would be cool too.

If you decide to go with the post above that said to get them a personalized blanket, why not put it in a picnic basket with a nice bottle of wine? Then you're hitting all the angles!

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I really like the idea of getting them something that they already wanted but personalizing it too. I know that they both love massages, and despite the fact that my brother argues to the contrary, he's just as much of a romantic as the bride. I think I will include some nice goodies for them along with the other gift, either for the honeymoon or directly afterwards.

happygirl Collaborator

tarnalberry,

that is so funny about our experiences with the blankets! your post made me smile. I'm a big sap and sentimental, so the blanket was perfect for us--but, I can certainly see how it isn't for everyone!!!! Just goes to show how different we all are :).

hope you are having a great night---

Laura

Archived