6 replies to this topic

#1 azoffroader

azoffroader

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

Is Italian dressing Gluten free and also read prosseced meats are out but looking at a package of Hillshire farms Deli select lunch meat I can't see anything in there that has gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

It is hard to say that categorically, "any" dressing is safe. It completely depends on the brand. However, many italian dressings are safe. Kraft brand dressings will always label any gluten containing ingredients. I know some of the wishbone italian dressings are safe, as well as the hellman's. Newman's Own is good about listing ingredients also. But it is most important to READ the label each time you buy it, as it can change anytime. Always assume that everything has gluten in it, and then find the specific brands and types that are safe.

There are many lunchmeats that are safe. Processed meats are not out as a whole, quite the contrary. BUT, once again, it depends on the brand and type. If you have questions on ingredients, go ahead and post them and we'll help! It is surprising that many "normal" items are gluten free, luckily! Sometimes its just a matter of finding which one is/isn't. I used to use a lot of the oscar meyer deli selects and had no problems.

There are very few things that are categorically "out." There is almost always a replacement, different brand, modification, etc to find. Now, I wouldn't eat lunchmeat that was out at a buffet (make your own sandwich) because you have no idea what is in the ingredients, but you should not have trouble finding a lunch meat to eat at home. You can even get some of the ones from the deli...ask to see the ingredients, and have them thoroughly clean the meat cutter/shaver. A lot of times they will have one they haven't used that day yet, and will wipe it down again for me (when I was eating lunch meat...I no longer am due to other intolerances).

Hope this helps.

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:35 PM

Great answer from Laura.

Hillshire Farms is a great company and will always list. When I do buy, I buy from them. Kraft and Newman's Own has a long line of gluten-free products, Boars Head as well.. When you know that something is safe from recommendations, e-mail the company and they will send you a whole list of their gluten-free products. I keep a folder, for quick references. But....don't get too lazy with this approach, as manufactures often change their ingred. to improve their products. But......as well, by that time you will be comfortable in reading lables. :D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 azoffroader

azoffroader

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

Great answer from Laura.

Hillshire Farms is a great company and will always list. When I do buy, I buy from them. Kraft and Newman's Own has a long line of gluten-free products, Boars Head as well.. When you know that something is safe from recommendations, e-mail the company and they will send you a whole list of their gluten-free products. I keep a folder, for quick references. But....don't get too lazy with this approach, as manufactures often change their ingred. to improve their products. But......as well, by that time you will be comfortable in reading lables. :D

Thank you very much for the help. :)

#5 Robina

Robina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

Is Italian dressing Gluten free and also read prosseced meats are out but looking at a package of Hillshire farms Deli select lunch meat I can't see anything in there that has gluten.

I heard on here that Sara Lee prepackaged deli meats are gluten-free...
Drew's Dressings and Marinades are absolutely delicious and they are gluten free (he also says as much on his label)... I get them in the natural section at Hannaford's...
Robin L Healey, AFPA-CPT
Venus Bodyworks Personal Training
and Lifestyle Coaching

"Ive transformed my body and others...
are you ready to transform yours?"

#6 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:31 PM

Try Applegate farms meats. They are gluten free and antibiotic and hormone free as well.

#7 msserena

msserena

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

HI

Walmarts Great Value lunch meat are all gluten free. States even on the packages.
Your choice of Turkey, Roasted Turkey, Ham, Honey Ham etc

Very good lunch meat. I myself eat this brand. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: