Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Mcdonalds

14 posts in this topic

I drove past McDs today and began thinking about their vanilla milkshake :P !

Does anyone know if their milkshakes or 'McFlurry' ice cream is gluten-free? And what about the fries?

I go there occasionally with my young child so I'd really appreciate knowing if there's anything 'safe' in there.

Deb :)

Ads by Google:

This is straight from the US McDonald's web page. (does NOT apply to canada).

McDonald's USA Menu Items for People with Gluten Sensitivity

and yes.....you can have a vanilla triple thick shake or a McFlurry with m&m's only

Back to Nutrition Information

McDonald's provides a listing of popular menu items that do not contain ingredients made from wheat, barley, oats, or rye. You may view this information below or download a printable version.

FOR INFORMATION ABOUT McDONALD'S FRENCH FRIES AND HASH BROWNS, click here.

Beverages

Minute Maid® Apple Juice Box

Coffee

Hot Chocolate

1% Low Fat Milk Jug, White or Chocolate

Orange Juice

Soft Drinks

Chocolate Triple Thick® Shake

Strawberry Triple Thick® Shake

Vanilla Triple Thick® Shake

Condiments/Sauces

Butter

Creamy Ranch Sauce

Honey

Hot Mustard Sauce

Hotcake Syrup

Jam

Ketchup

Lettuce

Margarine

Mayonnaise Dressing

Mustard

Onions

Pickles

Southwest Chipotle Barbeque Sauce

Spicy Buffalo Sauce

Tangy Honey Mustard Sauce

Tartar Sauce

Tomato

Miscellaneous

American Cheese

Apple Dippers and Low Fat Caramel Dip

Beef Patty (no bun)

Canadian Bacon

Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait (no granola)

Ice Cream Sundaes including nuts

McFlurry® with M&M'S® Candies

Sausage

Scrambled Egg

Salads/Dressings

Caesar Salad without Chicken

Side Salad

Fruit & Walnut Salad (without walnuts)

Newman's Own® Creamy Caesar Dressing

Newman's Own® Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette

Newman's Own® Ranch Dressing

This list is effective 10-11-2006.

Download A Printable Version

glutenfree.pdf (2438 Kb PDF)

McDonald's attempts to provide nutrition and ingredient information regarding its products that is as complete as possible. Some menu items may not be available at all restaurants; test products, test formulations or regional items have not been included. While the ingredient information is based on standard product formulations, variations may occur depending on the local supplier, the region of the country and the season of the year. Further, product formulations change periodically. Serving sizes may vary from quantity upon which the analysis was conducted. Serving size designation for beverages refers to total cup capacity; the actual amounts of beverage (and ice) may vary. No products are certified as vegetarian; all products may contain trace amounts of ingredients derived from animals. If you wish further information or have special sensitivities or dietary concerns regarding specific ingredients in specific menu items please call us at the number below. This listing is continuously updated in an attempt to reflect the current status of our products and may vary from printed materials.

McDonald's Quality & Nutrition Information

McDonald's Corporation

2111 McDonald's Drive

Oak Brook, IL 60523

1-877-MCD-FOOD

and yes.....you can have a vanilla triple thick shake or a McFlurry with m&m's only

Thank you so much for a comprehensive reply! I'll have a look into the UK website to see if this also applies here and I'll let the board know what I come up with.

But it sounds promising for the milkshake :D

Does anyone know if their milkshakes or 'McFlurry' ice cream is gluten-free? And what about the fries?

I go there occasionally with my young child so I'd really appreciate knowing if there's anything 'safe' in there.

Deb,just checked the UK site and vanilla is NOT gluten-free (although I thought it was!!)

http://www.mcdonaldsmenu.info/ourmenu.jsp?cat=2&item=19

Strawberry & Chocolate is ok though.

Fries are ok UNLESS they have another potato promotion going on (Potato wedges were recently on the menu-which were fryed in the same oil and were coated in wheat flour)

McFlurry's are ok.Be careful of which chocolate is sprinkled on though-some are ok (like crunchie) but smarties are not ok.

You can just get a plain McFlurry though.

Your best bet is when you go in McD's,you get a piece of paper on the tray-well on the back it lists all the allergens of all their foods.

Hope this helps!

Find out if they the ice cream is dispensed from the same machine that is used for their cones. If so, they'll need to wipe the spigot off thoroughly to make sure there is no cc.

Suzie

Deb,just checked the UK site and vanilla is NOT gluten-free (although I thought it was!!)

http://www.mcdonaldsmenu.info/ourmenu.jsp?cat=2&item=19

Strawberry & Chocolate is ok though.

Fries are ok UNLESS they have another potato promotion going on (Potato wedges were recently on the menu-which were fryed in the same oil and were coated in wheat flour)

McFlurry's are ok.Be careful of which chocolate is sprinkled on though-some are ok (like crunchie) but smarties are not ok.

You can just get a plain McFlurry though.

Your best bet is when you go in McD's,you get a piece of paper on the tray-well on the back it lists all the allergens of all their foods.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info and link Nikki! :)

McDonald's provides a listing of popular menu items that do not contain ingredients made from wheat, barley, oats, or rye. You may view this information below or download a printable version.

<<SNIP>>

This list is effective 10-11-2006.

Download A Printable Version

glutenfree.pdf (2438 Kb PDF)

Brizzo,

Would you provide the URL that came from? I looked on the McD site but didn't see it. Thanks

Oh, this is a sensitive subject with me. I am a very protective father of my daughter's Celiac and once McDonalds was discovered as flat out lying about their fries containing gluten I all together boycotted them. This is my first boycott and so far it has gone really well :rolleyes: . I would suggest staying away form any fast food if you are truly striving for a 100% gluten free meal. Just my free advice. Take it for what it's worth.

If you go on the web site and click where it says "click here for nutritional info." regarding the fries and hash browns it gets very confusing. It basically says that they ran several tests on the fries since wheat is an ingredient in the frying oil of the fries (it is called pan fry). They say that after cooking the fries gluten is undetectable. It is followed up by a statement from the Celiac Association and that is where I get confused. At first I thought it was confirming McDonalds findings but then went on to say that the only way for a Celiac to be safe is to not eat anything that originally contained wheat. So I am not sure. I would like to be though so if anyone knows for sure let me know.

As a side note, I was allowing my son to have them occassionally over the past couple of months (I know, I screwed up) and at first saw no problems so assumed they were ok. Then within the past few weeks started seeing some signs of trouble again. So I removed them from the diet. Now that does not mean that I am blaming McDonalds because my son's syptom is always constipation and that can happen for various reasons that have nothing to do with gluten. But I am playing it safe anyway.

Nicole

When my b/f goes to Mickey D's, I have him pick me up a shake, I have different flavors depending on my mood. I have never had a problem with the shakes. I personally wouldnt have anything else there, as I used to work there when I was young... and I have seen what goes on. Its too easy for cc.

But enjoy the shakes!!!

The oil for the french fries contains hydrolyzed milk and wheat ingredients. It is a very small amount, but it's in the oil so it could be in your fries.

My sister works there, and she checked it says right on the fry box that they contain wheat! So its not just the oil.

I had some fries at McDonalds last night, after checking to make sure that the fryer was not used for anything else but fries. The last time I checked their website, which was probably over the summer, I saw that the fries were apparently gluten free. This morning I woke up with what I thought was the flu and I just now made the connection with the fries. I am a little confused (ok, a lot) about what their website now says about the wheat and dairy in the fries but unless this is a strange coincidence, I'd say I was glutened by the fries. It just proves the point that when eating out, you have to be very careful.

I had some fries at McDonalds last night, after checking to make sure that the fryer was not used for anything else but fries. The last time I checked their website, which was probably over the summer, I saw that the fries were apparently gluten free. This morning I woke up with what I thought was the flu and I just now made the connection with the fries. I am a little confused (ok, a lot) about what their website now says about the wheat and dairy in the fries but unless this is a strange coincidence, I'd say I was glutened by the fries. It just proves the point that when eating out, you have to be very careful.

Hi, the fries themselves would be gluten free but they are cooked (prior to getting to the McDonalds restaraunt) in an oil called pan fry that uses wheat as a flavoring ingredient. They say that they have tested the final fry after cooking and that there are no detectable traces of gluten. But, as the Celiac Association stated on the McDonalds site, the only safe thing for a celiac is to not eat anything that ever contained wheat. I agree with you, I believe my son was glutened by McDonalds fries.

Nicole