Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Concern Over Red Meat

6 posts in this topic

Lately Ive been eating red meat a few times a week because I thought that it would help boost my iron levels. Everytime I went out the a good steakhouse I would feel nauseous for days. I never connected the nausea to the red meat until last week when I went to sullivans and had their cowboy ribeye medium rare. OMG. I was nauseous and had the chills for 3 days.

Ive been having this reaction to red meat so Im going to stop eating it, but I wanted to find out if anyone else had this experience. I dont know if its food poisoning, or an allergic reaction, or what. Maybe its just really hard to digest.

Thoughts?

Hi,

I don't know--I've heard that about 1/4 of the time, indigestion is felt as nausea and not heartburn/reflux. Maybe you're not digesting it well? Have you tried eating it at home, prepared with no seasonings except salt?

I ate no red meat, and chicken only a few times a week for years. For the last couple of years now, since I became severly anemic, I've gone back to red meat and have had no problem. I almost never eat out, though.

Anyway, I hope you get it figured out :)

In general, red meat is hard to digest, esp. if you've been off of it for awhile. However, you shouldn't 'force' yourself to have it strictly for the iron content:

Nuts, seeds, molasses, dried fruit, potatos, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, rice, tofu, soybeans, legumes are all high in iron, as well as fortified foods (like cereal), and seaweed (which is extremely high). most of those are equivalent or higher than a steak. and you'd probably eat larger servings of these than a steak in a day.

Lately Ive been eating red meat a few times a week because I thought that it would help boost my iron levels. Everytime I went out the a good steakhouse I would feel nauseous for days. I never connected the nausea to the red meat until last week when I went to sullivans and had their cowboy ribeye medium rare. OMG. I was nauseous and had the chills for 3 days.

Ive been having this reaction to red meat so Im going to stop eating it, but I wanted to find out if anyone else had this experience. I dont know if its food poisoning, or an allergic reaction, or what. Maybe its just really hard to digest.

Thoughts?

Do you react to red meat when you eat it at home? I checked this out because I have recently realized I do not do well with beef. I had eaten it most of the summer when my son was here but went back to my usual fish, beans, pork and chicken after he left. I had ground beef for the first time in a couple months last week and ended up in the bathroom for the entire day afterwards. I had no gluten symptoms just an upset and uncomfortable tummy. I'll avoid it from now on.

steaks in restaurants often times are marinated in seasonings that contain gluten, or the grill could be contaminated... so maybe that could be the issue, but if it's still happening at home...

so, if you are still having reactions from plain unseasoned red meat at home, you may just be having a hard time digesting it.

You can take digestive enzymes to help with the digestion. If you weren't eating it often, you may not have all the enzymes you need to digest it.

I only eat out at places that have a gluten-free menu ... so it could be the way it's prepared as has already been mentioned.