#1 JenKuz

JenKuz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

Hi all,

So in my never-ending quest to rule things in and out, I took a food allergy skin-prick test on Friday afternoon. That evening, I had one of the worst cases of the itchies ever. It was localized to my inner thigh, a site where I've often had eczema. Today I itch all over. Like chicken pox all over again. It's terrible. Even the pads of my fingers itch!

Has anyone else around here had this response to the skin tests? How did your doctors interpret it? What did you do in response?
Enterolab:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 20 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 1223 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 8,7)

Gastritis dx 10/24
Eosinophilia of large bowel dx 10/29

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 azmom3

azmom3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:16 PM

Hi all,

So in my never-ending quest to rule things in and out, I took a food allergy skin-prick test on Friday afternoon. That evening, I had one of the worst cases of the itchies ever. It was localized to my inner thigh, a site where I've often had eczema. Today I itch all over. Like chicken pox all over again. It's terrible. Even the pads of my fingers itch!

Has anyone else around here had this response to the skin tests? How did your doctors interpret it? What did you do in response?

Did you have any hives or rash where you were itching? Did they tell you if you were allergic to anything that they found on the skin test? And if so, did they mention how allergic you were?

Two of our kids recently had skin testing done and the third will be getting hers tomorrow. Our youngest had moderate to moderate-high allergies to every food he was tested for, but never seemed bothered by the test and the bumps went away quickly. Our oldest son, who was only tested for grass, trees, etc. was highly allergic to 6 of the 24 things and moderately allergic to 8 others. The "bumps" were huge and lasted a full week and the itching was almost unbearable for hiim. They gave him zyrtec and singulair right there in the office and then told us to add benadryl at home since the itching was worse, not better. WE also used ice packs and frozen washcloths for the discomfort. He's 10 and can't wait for his 8 year old sister to get tested. He keeps rubbing it in and scaring her with how bad it'll be. ;)

If you're having itching in other places though, that sounds like something you should definitely talk to your dr. about as that does not sound like a normal response. Hopefully, you got answers you needed from your test and you will find relief soon. Good luck!

#3 JenKuz

JenKuz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:17 AM

Did you have any hives or rash where you were itching? Did they tell you if you were allergic to anything that they found on the skin test? And if so, did they mention how allergic you were?

Two of our kids recently had skin testing done and the third will be getting hers tomorrow. Our youngest had moderate to moderate-high allergies to every food he was tested for, but never seemed bothered by the test and the bumps went away quickly. Our oldest son, who was only tested for grass, trees, etc. was highly allergic to 6 of the 24 things and moderately allergic to 8 others. The "bumps" were huge and lasted a full week and the itching was almost unbearable for hiim. They gave him zyrtec and singulair right there in the office and then told us to add benadryl at home since the itching was worse, not better. WE also used ice packs and frozen washcloths for the discomfort. He's 10 and can't wait for his 8 year old sister to get tested. He keeps rubbing it in and scaring her with how bad it'll be. ;)

If you're having itching in other places though, that sounds like something you should definitely talk to your dr. about as that does not sound like a normal response. Hopefully, you got answers you needed from your test and you will find relief soon. Good luck!

Hey there,

I was only mildly allergic to hazelnut, nothing else. The doc said that could well be a false positive because the test is very sensitive and the wheal was small.

I'm sorry for your son! That sounds awful. I hope it goes better for your dd :)
Enterolab:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 20 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 1223 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 8,7)

Gastritis dx 10/24
Eosinophilia of large bowel dx 10/29

#4 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:52 AM

Hey there,

I was only mildly allergic to hazelnut, nothing else. The doc said that could well be a false positive because the test is very sensitive and the wheal was small.

I'm sorry for your son! That sounds awful. I hope it goes better for your dd :)

It's possible you had a delayed reaction to an allergen. The scratch tests are only looking for immediate reactions in the specific area the allergen is applied...and are not 100% accurate. For someone like me, who has known, visible skin reactions, scratch testing is a good overall look at my multiple allergens. For someone who has more subtle reactions it may not be as helpful. Allergists can do a more specific test with injecting the allergen under the skin and looking for a reaction over a longer period. You an also do patch testing which tests over a 48 & 72 hour time frame. Finally, blood tests can be done as well.

I've just started reading an interesting book, "Is This Your Child?" by Dr. Doris Rapp. It's an older book, but it looks at children's immediate & delayed reactions and behaviours in determining whether allergies are the source of health issues. She considers emotional/behavioural reactions to be just as important as the typical histamine reaction in determining allergy, and suggests alternative methods for testing and treatment.

Michelle

#5 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:33 AM

They had to do the skin test on me three times because with some it was immediate, many I reacted 2-3 hours later and some a whole day or two later. Being a delayed reactor is somewhat unusual so they tell me but I believe it is more common than they think.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#6 Simply_V

Simply_V

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:55 AM

Hi all,

Delayed reactions aren't unheard of, nor as rare as one might think. Eczema is allergy related in itself. Its possible you have delayed relations.

Delayed reactions are usually mediated by IgG, where as the skin prick tests are for IgE mediated allergies. Basically speaking, your reaction was probably IgG and won't show up on an IgE test.

That said. It is possible that you're just having a continuing reaction to the hazelnut, as sometimes symptoms of reactions will increase with time until the body has rid itself of the allergen or come to a climax of sorts.

Take some benadryl, it should help with the itching. Look over what you were tested for, and watch those foods.

IgG testing can be done through blood work called an ELISA test. Some haven't had good luck with this test, but for me it was amazingly accurate.

It probably wouldn't hurt to look into blood IgE tests, though I haven't had that much luck with them. The Skin prick was more accurate for me on IgE than RAST.
V
Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.
1992 IBS diagnosis.
2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.
2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.
2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:
IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.
IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.
Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.
2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: