This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Not Sure What This Rash Is?

bmzob

bmzob Apprentice

Ok so before i was diagnosed w/celiacs I was asymptomatic (or so i thought) and I'd used this body wash before and never had any problem with it. Well when I went home this past weekend I forgot to bring shower stuff home with me so I had to use my Mom's. My skin was fine before I took the shower. But when I got out after using this body wash I had a rash on my stomach and I'm breaking out on my back, and I've never broken out on my back before or on my stomach. It's a little itchy too. I've never had a problem before with this body wash. Since going on the diet I have noticed some symtoms when I get glutened. Could this rash and breaking out be a symptom? It's like little dots all over my stomach. Any thoughts?

oh the brand is soft soap and it's the pomegrante and mango fragrance. I didn't look at the ingredients. What ingredients do you look for on skin care/bathroom products?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2kids4me Contributor

it certainly sounds like a skin reaction to something in the product - could be the fragrances. Or the towel - does your mom use bounce sheets or Tide? - even dogs can get major rashes when they come into contact with items washed /dried with either...

We use softsoap (no fragrance) with no problem

Rusla Enthusiast

Can you describe this rash. It maybe be an allergy to the soap or it may be dh but you would need to describe it so that we can could ascertain which it is.

Suzie-GFfamily Apprentice
Ok so before i was diagnosed w/celiacs I was asymptomatic (or so i thought) and I'd used this body wash before and never had any problem with it. Well when I went home this past weekend I forgot to bring shower stuff home with me so I had to use my Mom's. My skin was fine before I took the shower. But when I got out after using this body wash I had a rash on my stomach and I'm breaking out on my back, and I've never broken out on my back before or on my stomach. It's a little itchy too. I've never had a problem before with this body wash. Since going on the diet I have noticed some symtoms when I get glutened. Could this rash and breaking out be a symptom? It's like little dots all over my stomach. Any thoughts?

oh the brand is soft soap and it's the pomegrante and mango fragrance. I didn't look at the ingredients. What ingredients do you look for on skin care/bathroom products?

I had virtually no celiac symptoms either, except difficulty gaining weight.

I too developed an itchy rash after going gluten-free (about 3 months afterwards). The only thing that seemed to be the culprit was a new soap my husband had purchased- Zest (tangerine mango twist scent).

The soap had yellow colouring additives- yellow 6 lake and yellow 10

I waited until the rash went away, and then used the soap a 2nd time- rash again. So, I won't ever use it again. I've gone back to Lever 2000. I don't understand why this caused a problem- I've never had this type of reaction before.

BTW- I took some Benadryl and it helped with the itch.

I too developed an itchy rash after going gluten-free (about 3 months afterwards). The only thing that seemed to be the culprit was a new soap my husband had purchased- Zest (tangerine mango twist scent).

I waited until the rash went away, and then used the soap a 2nd time- rash again. So, I won't ever use it again. I've gone back to Lever 2000. I don't understand why this caused a problem- I've never had this type of reaction before.

Wanted to add that your rash sounds like the one I had- little red dots. Mine were a bit raised- some were a little more hive-like but most were more pimple-like. There was a little fluid filled center surrounded by a red area that was circular.

bmzob Apprentice

Wanted to add that your rash sounds like the one I had- little red dots. Mine were a bit raised- some were a little more hive-like but most were more pimple-like. There was a little fluid filled center surrounded by a red area that was circular.

they look like what yours did...little red dots that are almost pimple like. i've never had any type of reaction like that to any type of new product...ever! So this is a little wierd to me. Is it celiac's related?

What do I look for on product labels? because it's not the same thing that i look for on food labels...is it?

heathen Apprentice

i totally did the same thing without the change in bath soap! i got little spots on my belly and large rash-like spots on my extreme lower back. they were mildly itchy. the doctor said they are some sort of dermatitis, but he wasn't specific. i have no clue.

Michi8 Contributor
they look like what yours did...little red dots that are almost pimple like. i've never had any type of reaction like that to any type of new product...ever! So this is a little wierd to me. Is it celiac's related?

What do I look for on product labels? because it's not the same thing that i look for on food labels...is it?

It's not necessarily celiac related. You're probably reacting to something in the soap...and could be almost anything. Fragrances are often a source of irritation. I react to scented soaps, especially the deoderant ones. I tend to do best with Dove Sensitive, Dove unscented or a simple glycerine-based soap. Just another thought, though...was the water chemically softened? Bathing with softened water can be hard for those with sensitive skin as well. I find I have a terrible time staying at my inlaws because of their softened water (when showering). Also have trouble with their bedding since they used scented Tide and Bounce on their laundry. :(

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Suzie-GFfamily Apprentice

I have no idea if it is related to celiac disease or not. I wondered the same thing since I had never had any reaction like that before. But not everything that happens to us is going to be due to celiac disease- so I tried to reign in my urge to blame it on celiac disease.

I did do some reading and couldn't find any info about it being related to celiac though. Most info about rashes and celiac are when people accidentally ingest gluten.

I wondered if it was like a detoxification reaction of some sort... you know my body was cleaning up after all of the damage caused by the gluten and somehow I ended up having an allergic type reaction to the soap???

I have no idea what caused it, the little red dots faded considerably in about 5 days after the start of the rash and were gone in about 2 weeks. There was only about 1 or 2 really itchy days.

Suzie

teebs in WV Apprentice
it certainly sounds like a skin reaction to something in the product - could be the fragrances. Or the towel - does your mom use bounce sheets or Tide? - even dogs can get major rashes when they come into contact with items washed /dried with either...

We use softsoap (no fragrance) with no problem

What is the problem with Tide and Bounce?

Michi8 Contributor
What is the problem with Tide and Bounce?

The chemical ingredients and scent can cause skin reactions: itchiness, hives, eczema...depends on what you are sensitive to (I am extremely sensitive to the ingredients in Sunlight: detergent and dishwashing liquid!) My skin and my daughter's skin improved quite a bit with changing detergents and elminated Bounce altogether. You really don't need a fabric softener at all, and static cling can be taken care of by using vinegar in the rinse cycle. :)

Michelle

teebs in WV Apprentice

Whew - I was afraid I missed something somewhere. You are saying that it causes you problems - not that it has gluten-containing ingredients.

I have major skin problems and I use Tide and Bounce. I used to use Sun and Bounce, and eliminated those for a while and still had problems. (I eleminated everything I could think of....) I finally found the right combo of body wash, lotion, etc. and my skin has finally calmed.

Thanks for the clarification - I was worried since you mentioned two specific brands and I happen to use both.

• 5 weeks later...
georgie Enthusiast

I have two small rashes on my legs and had thought I was getting psoriasis but now I have started to wonder about DH. The web pictures I have found show huge areas - mine are 2 small ( about 2" round ) areas on both legs. Its symetrical - does that mean anything too ?There are red dots and they are raised with thickened skin all around. The rashes come and go a bit but have only appeared this year after my Thyroid dx, and GI dx.

Shawn Apprentice

DH can start small. The fact that it is on both legs sounds like DH. If it is EXTREMELY itchy, not like a mosquito bite but much, much, worse, I would suspect that it is DH.

I now react with a rash when using Dial soap. I didn't before going gluten-free. I think going off gluten and "cleansing" must make us extra sensitive to chemicals.

Shawn

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Also, chicken pox has been going around since at least a year ago, in spite (some people say because of) the vaccine. Over half my son's elementary school had it last year--but if you weren't actually at the school, you'd never know--it was kept very hush-hush. The school eventually sent around a note saying only that "a few students have come down with it," and left it at that. The newspapers and news channels never said a word about it. But the county health department called me to ask about the duration of my son's episode, how many pox, etc, and as long as I had her on the phone, I asked her how many cases there were. She said that she wasn't nearly at the end of her list, and that there was also a3-week incubation period, so she had no idea how many would eventually be affected, but that I was the 64th mom from the one elementary school that she had called. :blink:

georgie Enthusiast
DH can start small. The fact that it is on both legs sounds like DH. If it is EXTREMELY itchy, not like a mosquito bite but much, much, worse, I would suspect that it is DH.

You are scaring me. How do I know if its psoriasis or DH ? Its VERY itchy sometimes but not all the time. It seems to flare up and then go dormant. It started 3 months ago when I was dx with Hashis Thyroid but before my GI dx and gluten-free diet. :unsure:

• 2 months later...
fivemoreminutes Newbie

I know this is old but saw the thread and wanted to reply. After giving birth to my daughter, I had a similar reaction to the soap. I talked to my doctor and pharmacist and it turned out to be an allergic reaction to Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate which my pharmacist says is the stuff in the soap to make it slick. I am already allergic to sulfa drugs and sulfites which are generally found in wine and various foods so being allergic to a sulfate did not surprise me. The ingrediant or a variant of it is found in most liquid soaps including shampoos and some conditioners. This was something that was transitional in that I never had a problem using it before. My pharmacist told me that many allergies are cyclic in that they get worse or get better on some cycle (like 6 or 7 years) or when triggered by a change in the body. In my case we figure it was the pregnancy that awakened it somehow.

Caland Newbie
I know this is old but saw the thread and wanted to reply. After giving birth to my daughter, I had a similar reaction to the soap. I talked to my doctor and pharmacist and it turned out to be an allergic reaction to Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate which my pharmacist says is the stuff in the soap to make it slick. I am already allergic to sulfa drugs and sulfites which are generally found in wine and various foods so being allergic to a sulfate did not surprise me. The ingrediant or a variant of it is found in most liquid soaps including shampoos and some conditioners. This was something that was transitional in that I never had a problem using it before. My pharmacist told me that many allergies are cyclic in that they get worse or get better on some cycle (like 6 or 7 years) or when triggered by a change in the body. In my case we figure it was the pregnancy that awakened it somehow.
Caland Newbie

My dentist told me to avoid Sodium Lauryl Sulfate which is the stuff that makes tooth paste foam. She said it really does not serve any real purpose other than to make it foam. Unfortunately, it is in almost every brand of tooth paste.

Archived