Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

No Milk, No Yogurt, But Cheddar Cheese Ok?

3 posts in this topic

:blink:

Hi All,

This question is probably answered somewhere else, but after reading through a few threads, I'll just ask again. My IGG allergy test came back to say I am allergic to milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, whey and mozarella, but not to cheddar cheese. Since cheddar seems to me to be the same ingredients but with added rennet and then aged, does it mean that the lactose is used up in the process and that casein is OK for me? The reason I am asking you all and not the testing lab (Optimum Health Resource - very bad choice, see my thread under Pre-testing for that saga) is because I am not getting the information I need from them to complete the picture. I am also retesting with another lab this week just to make sure of these results.

So, what do you think?

I also tested allergic to eggs - now that has thrown me for a loop and I am mulling that over today. I made pumpkin pie without the crust yesterday using ground flaxseed and water as the egg replacement, it's OK, I guess. Certainly not as smooth.

The allergy test you had would not test for lactose intolerance...it's a different reaction in the body. If it were just lactose intolerance, then yogurt would likely be okay for you as well as the cheddar cheese since the bacteria consume the lactose. I'm lactose intolerant myself and have no problems with yogurt or hard cheeses such as cheddar.

In terms of cheese/dairy allergy, I'd be surprised if you were allergic to dairy but not to cheddar cheese, especially since cheddar cheese produces histamine so can cause a reaction in absence of a true dairy allergy (cheddar cheese used to make my mouth itchy just like with my other oral allergies).

The IgG allergy testing is a bit controversial, and from what I have read, can produce false positives. From what I understand, the body produces IgG in response to exposure to foods/proteins but does not necessarily correlate with allergy. There all all sorts of conflicting info out there about various allergy testing methods...of course there are those that believe in it and those that say it's a bunch of bunk. Gotta take what works for you, and ignore the rest. :)

I'm beginning to think that the best way is to do a thorough elimination test on one's own, and carefully document any and all reactions: physical & emotional.

Michelle

Most aged cheeses, like cheddar are lactose-free. You should probably try an elimination test to determine if you are casein or lactose intolerant. If you can handle cheese, but not milk, you are most likely lactose intolerant.