Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

No Milk, No Yogurt, But Cheddar Cheese Ok?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 sagemoon

sagemoon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:15 AM

:blink:

Hi All,

This question is probably answered somewhere else, but after reading through a few threads, I'll just ask again. My IGG allergy test came back to say I am allergic to milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, whey and mozarella, but not to cheddar cheese. Since cheddar seems to me to be the same ingredients but with added rennet and then aged, does it mean that the lactose is used up in the process and that casein is OK for me? The reason I am asking you all and not the testing lab (Optimum Health Resource - very bad choice, see my thread under Pre-testing for that saga) is because I am not getting the information I need from them to complete the picture. I am also retesting with another lab this week just to make sure of these results.

So, what do you think?

I also tested allergic to eggs - now that has thrown me for a loop and I am mulling that over today. I made pumpkin pie without the crust yesterday using ground flaxseed and water as the egg replacement, it's OK, I guess. Certainly not as smooth.
Anne near Seattle

Artist in Oil - Portraits, landscapes, abstracts

Wheat free December 2005
Diagnosed Celiac January 2006 by genetic testing and gluten-free trial
Gluten free January 2006
Egg IgG allergy diagnosed October 2006
Casein Intolerant October 2006 - Enterolab
Genetic testing revealed one Celiac gene, one gluten sensitivity gene

Healing after going gluten-free:

Severe arthritis in both wrists disappeared
Mysterious fatigue lessened, then energy reappeared
Low-grade depression lifted
Periodic vomiting followed by dry heaves finally abated after finding hidden gluten sources

10 months after Gluten-free
Short term memory greatly improved, can have 'normal' conversations
Symptoms of Adult ADD gone. Just the artist weirdness left, but I put that to use!

Husband diagnosed Gluten, Casein, Soy intolerant October 2006
Genetic testing revealed two Gluten Sensitivity genes, not Celiac
Thinks he is very lucky to be married to a Celiac. I agree.

"If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Michi8

Michi8

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:37 AM

The allergy test you had would not test for lactose intolerance...it's a different reaction in the body. If it were just lactose intolerance, then yogurt would likely be okay for you as well as the cheddar cheese since the bacteria consume the lactose. I'm lactose intolerant myself and have no problems with yogurt or hard cheeses such as cheddar.

In terms of cheese/dairy allergy, I'd be surprised if you were allergic to dairy but not to cheddar cheese, especially since cheddar cheese produces histamine so can cause a reaction in absence of a true dairy allergy (cheddar cheese used to make my mouth itchy just like with my other oral allergies).

The IgG allergy testing is a bit controversial, and from what I have read, can produce false positives. From what I understand, the body produces IgG in response to exposure to foods/proteins but does not necessarily correlate with allergy. There all all sorts of conflicting info out there about various allergy testing methods...of course there are those that believe in it and those that say it's a bunch of bunk. Gotta take what works for you, and ignore the rest. :)

I'm beginning to think that the best way is to do a thorough elimination test on one's own, and carefully document any and all reactions: physical & emotional.

Michelle

#3 Felidae

Felidae

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

Most aged cheeses, like cheddar are lactose-free. You should probably try an elimination test to determine if you are casein or lactose intolerant. If you can handle cheese, but not milk, you are most likely lactose intolerant.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: