#1 kasia

kasia

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:59 AM

Hello everyone,

I seem to spend all my time on here. A huge thanks to everyone who has replied to my posts over the past week......... I got my biopsy results today & they came back positive for celiac, so thanks to everyone on here I am at least one week ahead of the game on my gluten-free regime.

Just a quick question. Felt much better Sunday morning (even hauled myself off the sofa & went food shopping). To celebrate bought a big bar of chocolate & ate half of it. I vomited 1 hour later, but still felt OK, but on Monday I could not get out of bed all day & had trouble eating anything. Today (Tuesday), I feel better but still nauseous & gassy.

Could chocolate to this to me (I did check the label but couldn't see anything sinister in it). Is it likely to be the lactose in the chocolate that made me ill & if this is the case am I OK to eat cheese? I'm already having soya milk as I've been quite ill after cows milk twice now.

Phew - what a learning curve! I won't get to see a dietician until next week & my GI was great but I am such a novice at this.

Thanks again

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LKelly8

LKelly8

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:36 AM

What brand of chocolate? Could be lactose or cross contamination or your stomach wasn't ready for half a bar of chocolate on Sunday morning. ;) :P

I think hard cheeses are generally low in lactose.

#3 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:36 AM

Not all chocolate is gluten free. Try Dagoba chocolate (all gluten free), or Greens Milk or Dark chocolate. You can find it at a natural food store. Also Hersheys regular size milk chocolate is supposed to be gluten free. Chocolate may be too much for your delicate intestines anyway at this point. You may want to stick to simpeler foods.

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:45 PM

while most chocolate is gluten-free, some isn't. (some instances of chocolate, for example, may have barley malt.) alwyas check labels. what was it you ate and what were the ingredients?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 rez

rez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:06 PM

You may want to have further testing done. We just found out my sound in intolerant to the protein in cow's milk as well as gluten. Good luck.

#6 tracey*

tracey*

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:06 PM

Call their customer service line or drop them an email to check

Not all choc is gluten free and they don't mark it so on the packaging. I tend to stay away completely nowadays

The equipment used to make chocolate might have traces of stuff on it and that gets cooked into the chocolate.. :( And yep it might be the kind of milk too

Hope you feel much better soon :)
wheat free & yeast free since may '06
also lactose intolerant

#7 bklynceliac

bklynceliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

"Tropical Source" makes a fine Gluten-free Casein-free chocolate bar line that is very tasty. Mint crunch is my favorite. Available at most health stores.

I find when my stomach is feeling delicate that binging of any kind, even totally safe foods, can cause problems.
Diagnosed through Enterolab (9.27.06)
Antigliadin IgA 164 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 75 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fat Score 874 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 73 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

#8 tracey*

tracey*

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:49 PM

"Tropical Source" actually made me very sick. It shouldn't have but it did.
wheat free & yeast free since may '06
also lactose intolerant

#9 shayesmom

shayesmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:27 AM

"Tropical Source" actually made me very sick. It shouldn't have but it did.

Tropical Source has also been making dd and I sick. I'm figuring it's from the roasted soy flour....we just can't seem to "handle" eating any soy beyond lecithin. Dagoba has been okay (when we can find one that is dairy-free). We've mostly satisfied our chocolate craving by eating the Enjoy Life Chocolate chips which are free of the top 8 allergens. I also keep individual servings of gluten-free brownies, cookies and mini-cupcakes in the freezer at all times....just in case one of us needs a chocolate "fix". :o

Hope you get better soon and find the right chocolate for you. It's bad enough dealing with a major overhaul in your lifestyle without having to give up ALL the comfort foods. Eventually, you'll have safe replacements so hang in there.
Vicky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: