This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Cheated And Nothing Happened!

DingoGirl

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Don't ask me why I cheated......it's been a terrible couple of months and I just didn't care any more. Also, wanted to see what would happen and was actually hoping to lose some weight.... :ph34r:

So I was awaiting the onslaught, usually 12 hours later, and now it's almost 24 hours later, and NOTHING HAPPENED. Nothing. Not even gas. How is this possible? I get cross-contamination and have violent D for half the day, and I purposefully eat THREE DONUTS and NOTHING HAPPENS?????

Am absolutely flummoxed about this. Any ideas? thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient

Susan,

I'm also confused by your lack of reaction. I've always wondered what would happen if I purposely ate food with gluten, as I am also very sensitive to CC.

Hopefully someone with more insight on this will weigh in--it's very interesting.

Anyway, I hope you continue to feel ok :)

Rusla Enthusiast

You may not get a reaction but it will still do damage to your villi. Perhaps it is waiting till you think it isn't going to react then it will whack you with a whammy.

LKelly8 Rookie

:( You still may have a reaction a few days from now - depends on when your immune system registers the "threat". Even if you never have symptoms, you have, most likely, damaged your small intestine - which will cause vitamin and mineral deficiencies down the line. Autoimmune disorders are strange beasts and the immune system itself is very mercurial. Reactions are dependent on many factors. You may have lucked out, snuck in a few past the guards, but I doubt it.

I wish you luck! :P

(Kinnikinnick makes a mighty fine donut BTW ;) )

CarlaB Enthusiast

Susan, when I get cc, I get a severe reaction. When I went on my gluten challenge, I did not have such "violent and immediate" reactions. :blink: I had overall poor health though during the challenge and had more constipation issues than gas and d. I also had brain fog issues after some time.

Remember when Chelsea went on her gluten challenge? She had the same thing, no reaction at all in the first few days, then she was miserable after some time on the challenge.

It's almost like our bodies can handle a little cc and eliminate it and heal as soon as possible. However, when we get a lot of gluten, our body is so overwhelmed it cannot immediately deal with it. I have not read any studies on that, it's just what it seems to me. So, I think the lack of reaction is actually an indication that it was just too much for your body to even recognize at this time. Your body will have to deal with the healing later.

Be very careful using your gluten reactions as a weight loss tool. I know you know that, this is more to point it out to everyone reading this ... it's really no different than taking laxatives or purging.

lonewolf Collaborator

Wow! You're really brave! But if you're going to cheat, you might as well get some enjoyment out of it, right? It wouldn't be nearly as much fun to cheat with something like Rice Crispies, that just have a little barley malt and aren't a big thrill to eat anyway.

I have no answers for you, but I agree with Carla's logic. I bet if you cheated for a few days you'd have one big reaction and start feeling horrible. Consider yourself lucky and be good!

They weren't Krispy Kremes, were they? :o

prinsessa Contributor

I went on a gluten binge one weekend about 2 months after going gluten free. I felt fine at first and thought maybe this gluten intolerance was all in my head (like some people told me). On Sunday I had the worse gas pains. I thought something was wrong with me until I realized it was gas. Just because you don't have an immediate reaction doesn't mean you won't have any reaction. It sometimes takes a couple of days for me to have a reaction which makes it hard to figure out the problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

Susie, it's possible that the past few months while you've been gluten-free, your intestines have healed just enough to change your reactions. I think most of us have pretty leaky guts because we've been eating stuff we're intolerant to...when we stop, our guts have time to heal a bit...when that happens, I'm assuming (may incorrectly) that it might take longer to have a reaction...or maybe we won't have a reaction on the ocassional glutening... I don't know for sure...just my take on it.

nikki-uk Enthusiast
So I was awaiting the onslaught, usually 12 hours later, and now it's almost 24 hours later, and NOTHING HAPPENED. Nothing. Not even gas. How is this possible? I get cross-contamination and have violent D for half the day, and I purposefully eat THREE DONUTS and NOTHING HAPPENS?????

It is a mystery indeed. :huh:

Hubby fell off the wagon earlier on in his gluten-free diet (toasted cheese sandwich :P ) with no reaction at all.(he was in denial!)

During our trip to Spain this summer he picked off some croutons an ill advised chef served up on his dinner.He woke up with crippling stomach gripes at 4am running to the loo!! :ph34r:

It is odd isn't it? :blink:

Guest nini

you can't judge anything (where Celiac is concerned) with symptoms or lack of... The point is you are still doing damage. When you were still eating gluten on a regular basis (at least for me) I wasn't sick constantly (at least not in the beginning) I'd have weeks at a time of feeling decent and then something would set me off, it's like your body maybe heals enough to appear to tolerate it or it just gives up and says hey I warned her when she had cc... LOL... so, who knows... the best bet is to simply go back to being as close to 100% gluten-free as you possibly can be. Oh and I also wanna know, were they Krispy Kremes? (so I can live vicariously through you!)

DingoGirl Enthusiast
They weren't Krispy Kremes, were they? :o

Well they weren't Krispy Kremes! You know, I never liked them that much before - they ARE good, but just so sickeningly sweet that I could only eat one. And I KNEW I wanted a binge....so I ate my favorite regular donuts, plain cake with chocolate icing. they were delicious..... :(

Thanks for your answers. I am just stunned and confused by this. And don't worry, I don't plan on doing it again....but I just thought I"d get horribly sick....

where's GFP? he'd have some good answers, I bet, something scientific!

I actually feel fine today and am heading out to work in the garden (uh-oh, more back pain.... :o )

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
Don't ask me why I cheated......it's been a terrible couple of months and I just didn't care any more. Also, wanted to see what would happen and was actually hoping to lose some weight.... :ph34r:

Dingo,

I am suprised...why would you want to do this? I thought you were smarter than this...

:(

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Dingo,

I am suprised...why would you want to do this? I thought you were smarter than this...

:(

I don't know....maybe I'm not as smart as you think??? :huh: I 'd been planning a binge for several weeks :ph34r: and yesterday seemed like a good day for it.....

I'm confused too, that NOTHING HAPPENED.

eleep Enthusiast

It took me four days to react to my last glutening -- in the meantime, I was a little stressy, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. Then I had two days of really bad stomach stuff and fatigue. Then -- a few days later, really horrific depression which made me all insecure and weepy. The depression wasn't constant -- it's came and went, but it's was still way too much for me to want to handle on a regular basis -- I went through phases of deep pessimism, oversensitivity and total self-doubt -- those are, by far, the worst symptoms for me right now since I've got so much that I need to be doing and dealing with.

I was able to identify this stuff as gluten-related partly because acupuncture seems to have sped up my overall healing process to the extent that the depression was a markedly different experience from the normal, day-to-day me off-gluten.

I also briefly fell off the cigarette-smoking bandwagon -- and that was clearly reaction-related because I had cravings for the first time ever on the day I started having the D. -- which seems to indicate that my brain chemistry wasn't as resilient as I needed it to be. It was hard for me to do all the things I've been doing to keep taking care of myself.

Anyway -- this is partly just about me venting, and partly an example of my delayed reaction. I keep hearing from people that my reactions should diminish in intensity once I've healed enough but I'm not particularly eager to test things out on purpose!

TriticusToxicum Explorer
I don't know....maybe I'm not as smart as you think??? :huh: I 'd been planning a binge for several weeks :ph34r: and yesterday seemed like a good day for it.....

I'm confused too, that NOTHING HAPPENED.

It could be that the sugary goodness combined with the deep fried doughyness and chocolatey smear on top somehow insulated your intestines from the poison. That, or the deep frying killed the gluten :rolleyes: (TONGUE FIRMLY PLANTED IN CHEEK)

kbtoyssni Contributor

I accidently consumed gluten once and had no reaction. I was sooo thankful that I didn't get sick. Maybe it's because I felt so badly about not reading the label more carefully that my body decided I'd learned my lesson and wouldn't make me sick as well. You probably won't be so lucky the second time you do this :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Erica - I hear you - - I've been in such a fierce and constant depression anyway....with moments of reprieve - so if I get depressed from the donut binge, it won't even be that noticeable, most likely. :(

It could be that the sugary goodness combined with the deep fried doughyness and chocolatey smear on top somehow insulated your intestines from the poison. That, or the deep frying killed the gluten :rolleyes: (TONGUE FIRMLY PLANTED IN CHEEK)

I like THIS answer!! yup, definitely must be what happened..... :lol:

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Erica - I hear you - - I've been in such a fierce and constant depression anyway....with moments of reprieve - so if I get depressed from the donut binge, it won't even be that noticeable, most likely. :(

I like THIS answer!! yup, definitely must be what happened..... :lol:

It could also be a sign from the gluten-eating world - they want you back :(

Maybe this means you should go to a football game and drinks BeerS too? Can pizza and pop tarts be far behind? :rolleyes:

You would have to turn in your keys to Racheville and tear up your parking permit - but beer and pizza and donuts?! :huh:

To the BAT CAVE! THIS will require further investigation! ;)

eleep Enthusiast

Oh god -- I'm going to have to go out and get some kinnickkinnick doughnuts _right_ _now_.

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Oh god -- I'm going to have to go out and get some kinnickkinnick doughnuts _right_ _now_.

I have one chocolate glazed left in my freezer...can you say after-work snack?

CarlaB Enthusiast
I have one chocolate glazed left in my freezer...can you say after-work snack?

:( I'm even restricted right now on gluten-free donuts because of the sugar! :(:(

Queen Serenity Newbie

Please tell me that this is your last hoorah with gluten! Eventhough you had no visible reaction, you have just taken out some of your poor, liitle, defenseless villi. :lol: Seriously though, you shouldn't play roulette with Celiac's. It can result in a lot of damage over time. I know it's tempting, and difficult, but you just have to do it. If I can do it, and believe me, I have an entire clan who can eat gluten, then anyone can. Just put your mind to it. It will get easier over time, trust me.

Vicki :)

gluten-free for 11 years

TriticusToxicum Explorer
:( I'm even restricted right now on gluten-free donuts because of the sugar! :(:(

What happened to the 1/4 donut on sunday? :huh:

CarlaB Enthusiast
What happened to the 1/4 donut on sunday? :huh:

I upped it to 1/3. I finished my first donut after three weeks, this Sunday I'll start another. :)

TriticusToxicum Explorer
I upped it to 1/3. I finished my first donut after three weeks, this Sunday I'll start another. :)

That doesn't sound like restricted to me, it sounds like you've actually increased your donut intact by 32%!

She gone hog wild! :P

Archived