8 replies to this topic

#1 BamBam

BamBam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:55 AM

I have read a lot on this message board about people with diarrhea, whether it is because of gluten intolerance or not. In the past, I have read a lot on the Web MD website about "Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I've read there many messages on how much calcium can help with diarrhea. First of all, calcium can be very constipating, so you have to be very careful. Linda (the writer of the message in Web MD) has recommended, and I have tried it, to take the Caltrate with Vitamin D and minerals. Now Linda, she takes a full caplet three times a day, one with each meal. Now if I took that much calcium, I wouldn't poop for a month! But I do take 1/2 or 1/4 of a pill once a day and it does seem to help. Her studies show that only a certain % of the calcium is absorbed into the system, and the rest of it can help "bind" up the excess bile and liquids in your system to help form a firmer bowel movement.
She has nothing to do with gluten intolerance, she was diagnosed with IBS and nothing seemed to help her, she started taking calcium as a supplement and it has helped the diarrhea part of her IBS. She is leading a more active life with her family and friends.
I still get diarrhea once in awhile, but I think it is because I am not watching my gluten/wheat intolerance well enough, but I don't get near the urgency of having to find a bathroom in ten seconds or else!
I'm fairly new to the boards, just started writing some items this past month. I do hope this helps some of you, if you have any questions, go over into WebMD and look into the "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" and find her articles. I have communicated a lot with her, and she seems to have something on this.

BamBam
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:28 PM

Hi Bam Bam,

Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely try it - after all, everything else I have tried so far doesn't seem to work......

Have a great day!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 catfish

catfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:36 PM

A lot of people have good results with this, in fact Caltrate makes a product called "Colon Care" or something like that which is nothing more than megadoses of calcium.
When I tried this approach, it didn't work too well. It did bind things up a bit but did nothing for the cramps and spasms, so it only made things worse. But that was before I went gluten-free, so perhaps it would be more effective now that I'm on a gluten-free diet.

#4 GEF

GEF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:28 AM

I didn't know that calcium had that effect, but I take Caltrate with Vit. D because I'm lactose intolerant and am afraid I don't get enough calcium through my diet. I like the chewables and I have realized that taking them does help with the "D" issue... didn't know it was the calcium though! Thank you for the info :)

Gretchen

#5 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:48 PM

Hi Bam Bam,

I went out and bought Caltrate with Vitamin D today. Will start taking it three times a day, with each meal - I will post to let you know what happens.....

Thanks for the tip!
Karen
Karen

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#6 Guest_Lindam_*

Guest_Lindam_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:38 AM

:) Hi BamBam, I have to try your recommendation about calcium. I am up in years and should have extra calcium in my diet anyway, but if I can "kill two birds with one stone" (and not have to worry about where the next closest bathroom is), I will be so happy. I really hope this works for me.

#7 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:00 PM

Okay, yesterday was the first day that I took Caltrate - I took three, 1/2 hour after each meal.....

I woke up at 1 a.m. with excruiating pain, spend the next four hours going to the bathroom, (yep, still diarrhea.....), and laying on the floor with my heating pad rocking myself trying to control the pain. It was just like a knife going through my body, literally taking my breath away...... I was this )( close to dring myself to the hospital.... finally at 5 a.m., it started to subside..... I guess my system can't handle more than one Caltrate a day.... I know for sure that there was nothing in question about what I ate yesterday.....

Oh well, back to the drawing board.......

Karen
Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

#8 Guest_Lindam_*

Guest_Lindam_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:55 AM

Hi Karen, Reading your experience certainly brought back some bad times. :( I think I would start off really slow, maybe 1/2 to 1 pill a day, then gradually work yourself up to 3 a day. I have been taking the calcium (not Caltrate) and I have been seeing a great improvement, but then I only take 1 pill a day.

Have a great day! :)

#9 j9n

j9n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 05:29 AM

Oh Karen I am sorry. I would wait a couple of days and try 1/2 a pill once a day, then twice a day if it isn't enough. I don't think I could tolerate more than 1 to 1 1/2 a day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: