9 replies to this topic

#1 georgie

georgie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:48 PM

Is Lindt 70% chocolate gluten free ? I made a cake last night with it, and seemed to get a reaction.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

Well, I just ate practically an entire bar of Lindt 70% dark chocolate and besides getting all shakey and dizzy from the caffine and the sugar I didn't have any reactions LOL. I have it right here in front of me and it does say "may contain traces of soy lecithin, milk hazelnuts and almonds." I really don't seem to have any gluten, dairy or soy type reactions from it though (I'll admitt I've had my fair share of the stuff since I've been in this country :ph34r: ). I would think it would have to clearly state "gluten" on the label if there was actually gluten in it? It says "cocoa mass, sugar, coca butter, vanilla."

...That's my long winded way of saying I think the chocolate is okay gluten-wise, but there might be some other issues with it (soy, nuts etc.) Hope your reaction doesn't last long.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#3 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:10 PM

Thanks. Perhaps it was just the wine ! :D

Well, I just ate practically an entire bar of Lindt 70% dark chocolate and besides getting all shakey and dizzy from the caffine and the sugar I didn't have any reactions LOL. I have it right here in front of me and it does say "may contain traces of soy lecithin, milk hazelnuts and almonds." I really don't seem to have any gluten, dairy or soy type reactions from it though (I'll admitt I've had my fair share of the stuff since I've been in this country :ph34r: ). I would think it would have to clearly state "gluten" on the label if there was actually gluten in it? It says "cocoa mass, sugar, coca butter, vanilla."

...That's my long winded way of saying I think the chocolate is okay gluten-wise, but there might be some other issues with it (soy, nuts etc.) Hope your reaction doesn't last long.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#4 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:39 AM

Is Lindt 70% chocolate gluten free ? I made a cake last night with it, and seemed to get a reaction.

I had a lindt truffle (or, rather, started to have one) and then read the label on the plastic baggie, and it said wheat starch....I can't remember the flavor, but I remember thinking "Ok, no lindt for me". So.....just wanted to let you know, incase it WAS in your Chocolate.....
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#5 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

I was quite certain I've read on here that Lindt is not gluten-free.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#6 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

By law in Australia the label would have to say "gluten" if there was gluten in it though. The label on mine doesn't indicate gluten, just a risk of nuts and soy :huh: I dunno...
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#7 GFBetsy

GFBetsy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:54 AM

Lindt truffles have barley malt in them (at least the milk chocolate ones do), but I'm not sure about the rest of their products . . . . It looks like the ingredients were okay . .. but there might have been cross contamination. OR, it could have been the wine . . .

#8 NJKen

NJKen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:55 AM

I had a lindt truffle (or, rather, started to have one) and then read the label on the plastic baggie, and it said wheat starch....I can't remember the flavor, but I remember thinking "Ok, no lindt for me". So.....just wanted to let you know, incase it WAS in your Chocolate.....

Most Lindt truffles have barley in them (I've never seen wheat starch on a Lindt truffle label in the USA). The white chocolate truffles and mint truffles are free of barley and should be gluten-free, except for possible cross-contamination.

I think that the only issue with the plain chocolate bars (or chocolate with nuts) would be cross-contamination.

Ken

#9 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:48 PM

Most Lindt truffles have barley in them (I've never seen wheat starch on a Lindt truffle label in the USA). The white chocolate truffles and mint truffles are free of barley and should be gluten-free, except for possible cross-contamination.

I think that the only issue with the plain chocolate bars (or chocolate with nuts) would be cross-contamination.

Ken

Yeah, thats what it was, barley malt. I double checked at the store today. I wanted to post to make sure that you got the info, georgie, to make sure you look for barley in your Lindt!
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#10 MistressIsis

MistressIsis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:05 PM

I've found some Ghiradelli chocolate is safe. Used to be diehard Lindt but all my favorites have gluten so I just avoid it now. I did do the 70% for awhile but it's not the flavor I like so...
Misdiagnosed with Duardinitis & Endometriosis
Diagnosed after 6 yrs & 4 Doc and every test known to man
Diagnosed October 2004

Anemic as a teen
Small Stature
Dental Issues
Constant Headaches
Joint Pain
Mood Swings
Lethargy

All those disappeared after eliminating Gluten

0 user(s) are reading this topic