7 replies to this topic

#1 covsooze

covsooze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:46 AM

Every time I have chocolate, I get depressed the next day. This happens whether it's milk or soya chocolate, but not really with dark chocolate. It's always the next day. It doesn't happen when I eat other dairy stuff eg cheese/ milk so I don't think it's that. And how come I'm OK with dark choc? (except that I'm not cos dark choc gives me headaches - just not depression).

Hmph :angry:

What is the point of a comfort food if it makes me depressed? :rolleyes:
Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000
Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test
Nov 2005 positive blood tests
January 2006 dx by biopsy
gluten-free and dairy lite since then
I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism
Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 covsooze

covsooze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

just bumping this up, wondering why it's disppeared ??
Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000
Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test
Nov 2005 positive blood tests
January 2006 dx by biopsy
gluten-free and dairy lite since then
I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism
Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

#3 Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:39 AM

That's the saddest thing I've ever heard. I hope you can find a new comfort food that equals the deliciousness of chocolate... :huh:

Courtney
Courtney - 25
Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006
Casein-free since October 16, 2006
Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.
Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006
Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993
Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06
Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

Hi Susie--

I just pinned your post so it won't dissappear again! :D

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear about you and chocolate :( Interesting that it dosen't happen so much with the dark--I never liked dark chocolate until I had to give up dairy. Now, I really love it.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Simply_V

Simply_V

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

Every time I have chocolate, I get depressed the next day. This happens whether it's milk or soya chocolate, but not really with dark chocolate. It's always the next day. It doesn't happen when I eat other dairy stuff eg cheese/ milk so I don't think it's that. And how come I'm OK with dark choc? (except that I'm not cos dark choc gives me headaches - just not depression).

Hmph :angry:

What is the point of a comfort food if it makes me depressed? :rolleyes:

Honestly it sounds like you're allergic to chocolate. Dark chocolate is usually more concentrated cocoa bean. So you end up getting more actual chocolate in your system, which bounces your body up to a headache level of reaction rather than taking care of it more silently leaving you with a depression aftermath.

Your body is trying to tell you to stop eating it. If you can't give up chocolate, and want to think its something else in the chocolate. I'd recommend heating 1/2 cup water to boiling, adding 2 heaping tablespoons of Hershey's baking cocoa (& 2 tsp sugar if you want). Mix throughly. Add more cooler water so its drinkable, and drink it. If you get a headache or depressed the next day, its the cocoa itself.
V
Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.
1992 IBS diagnosis.
2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.
2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.
2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:
IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.
IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.
Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.
2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.

#6 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:01 PM

You probably do have an allergy to chocolate cause that is really the only way that you could explain that or it could be lactose and just chocolate has the right amont of lactose in it to bother you.

That really really really sucks to be allergic to chocolate I think i would die,

I hope you feel better soon!
Molly

#7 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

Chocolate has always given me problems. I don't get depressed, but I can get emotionally unstable, such as laughing so hard that I have to cry to stop, or crying for no good reason; that sort of thing. I can get really giddy or really weepy -- then it goes away. I figured it out in high school, so haven't had much of it since.

However, lately I've been having one tiny mouthful of chocolate every night after dinner. I mean that bar lasts 2 weeks, that's how small the bites are. I get the joy of the chocolate w/o the side effects.

My Ayurvedic doctor (from India) told me not to each chocolate...and I'm sure it's like all things -- not good for EVERYONE - how could anything be.

Have you tried tea lattes? Hazlenut milk with some black tea and nutmeg and cinamon (which I've never been able to spell)? It hits the spot, and is choco free.

#8 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

I'm allergic to chocolate and it's the same family as cola (which I dont like anyway, but just so you are aware). i use carob in baking and as hot carob drink as a replacement.
Gluten-free, Vegan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: