This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Body Rejecting Food..

Mahee34

Mahee34 Enthusiast

I'm really confused right now. I feel like anytime I eat anything my body rejects it. I put on a pair of gray pants that I bought a little bit ago, size 4, (i used to be a steady size 8 or 6) and they're hanging off of me. I ate lunch and my body rejected it and my stomach still hurts...it's almost like no matter what I eat, good or bad, my body doesn't keep it down. If it isn't a huge gas bubble upseting my stomach, it's explosive D...and I'm really careful about what I eat that I barely eat at all anymore just to at least try to feel somewhat normal, which i haven't since i was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago...I feel like I"ll have spans of 2-3 months where I feel really good and have little to no problems and then 6 months where every day is a struggle...I don't have much if any health coverage, so I really don't know what to do.....Recently I've posted several questions on here and get little or no one responding...I hope this time is different, I'm really scared about this...

Today I packed my lunch...had some american cheese with oscar meyer honey ham...I thought that was on the "ok"list and the ingrediants seemed ok, but maybe that's the culprit for todays' issue..i don't know

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Could the dairy be bothering you?

evie Rookie
I'm really confused right now. I feel like anytime I eat anything my body rejects it. I put on a pair of gray pants that I bought a little bit ago, size 4, (i used to be a steady size 8 or 6) and they're hanging off of me. I ate lunch and my body rejected it and my stomach still hurts...it's almost like no matter what I eat, good or bad, my body doesn't keep it down. If it isn't a huge gas bubble upseting my stomach, it's explosive D...and I'm really careful about what I eat that I barely eat at all anymore just to at least try to feel somewhat normal, which i haven't since i was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago...I feel like I"ll have spans of 2-3 months where I feel really good and have little to no problems and then 6 months where every day is a struggle...I don't have much if any health coverage, so I really don't know what to do.....Recently I've posted several questions on here and get little or no one responding...I hope this time is different, I'm really scared about this...

Today I packed my lunch...had some american cheese with oscar meyer honey ham...I thought that was on the "ok"list and the ingrediants seemed ok, but maybe that's the culprit for todays' issue..i don't know

Mahee..sorry you are having such a problem this far out from your DX. One suggestion I have is to watch liquids taken in as you eat meals, it was suggested to me to not use more than 1/4th cup @ mealtime. theory is that it thins food too much and food goes thru like 'dumping syndrome'. It sure helped me. Also wondering if you could have become sensitive to more foods than you were when DX'd?. The foods you mentioned I am not aware of problems with but other posters will have more info am sure. Do not give up, things will get better for you!! :) Take care of yourself, evie

tarnalberry Community Regular

you may want to stick with whole, unprocessed foods for a little while. the stuff you listed (american cheese and oscar meyer ham) have a bunch of ingredients in them, and I know that if my stomach isn't happy, those things aren't going to sit well in it. (well, I can't do the cheese anyway... that will never sit well in my stomach.) you don't have to eat plain (spices are also whole foods, with lots of flavor!) but unprocessed and whole foods may help for a while.

have you ruled out other food intolerances? (soy and dairy are big ones.)

Ursa Major Collaborator

I agree with Carla, Evie and Tiffany............it sounds like other food intolerances. All of the foods high in lectins will do the same thing as gluten to me (possibly without the villi damage, but not necessarily). The other day I got SO utterly sick of being on such a restricted diet, that I caved in and ate egg salad on gluten-free bread sticks (which are made with rice and potato flours), as well as some (a small bowl full) of mashed potatoes, and a little cheese.

And yesterday I had explosive D all day, sitting on the toilet for hours. NOTHING I ate on this binge contained ANY gluten at all (and this 'binge' really wasn't huge, I didn't eat large amounts of anything). But those foods contained rice flour, potatoes, soy (in the mashed potato flakes), corn starch and dairy. Also, I am quite achy, my joints are really hurting (which was predictable, of course).

You may want to eliminate ALL lectins for a while (for more info click on the 'lectins' link in my signature), unfortunately, this may very well be your answer. But better to lose some more foods, than being sick indefinitely, right? :unsure:

Guest nini

I went through this, which is why the majorityof my diet consists of foods that are naturally gluten-free and minimally processed. I avoid foods with a lot of additives and processing... whenever I get in a hurry and buy something that has more additives and is more processed I end up feeling terrible for days.

IrishKelly Contributor

I found i also had dairy issues after taking suggestions from others ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mahee34 Enthusiast

I've attempted the removing from dairy from the diet...it's strange...some days i can eat tons of ice cream and be completely fine, cheese...you name it, i'm golden...other days it seems to upset me...i talked to my doctor back at the beginning of this and he said it wasn't that......something about my bad vs. good bacteria being out of wack and taking medicine. which i'm horrible about taking medicine...but i'm trying!!

i try the unprocessed foods thing too, but it's pretty expensive and i'm struggling with finances right now...i used to eat a lot of rice but that bothered my stomach...the liquid thing could be a problem. i never thought of that, i drink more soda than I probably should with the amount of food that i actually take in...the carbination could be negatively affecting my stomach.

i just want to be normal :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm sorry that this is happening to you--sometimes it seems that no matter what we eat and how careful we are, something is going to make us sick! :angry:

I am like Ursula--I could binge all day on foods that would make me sick and never consume a drop of gluten. Especially when our systems are damaged from gluten, there are many other foods or ingredients that can cause us reactions. I'm so much more sensitive to everything--gluten, tomatoes, all of my other intolerances (lectins, corn, tapioca, coconut, dairy).

I can only suggest what works for me, and that is to go to only whole, naturally gluten-free foods. Not always fun, but usually pretty effective. ;)

Mahee34 Enthusiast

it definately makes you wonder, hey why not go ahead and eat that yummy pizza...or that magically fluffy hamburger bun...don't worry...i haven't done anything drastic!!! but it sure makes you want to since you already feel like crap!

daffadilly Apprentice

Just make some better choices with the same type foods you are eating, not necessarily more expensive. for one thing most of have a problem with lunch meats due to the sulfites, nitrites etc etc.

Try the Hormel all natural lunch meat, it comes in a brownish package in the regular lunch meat section and it says gluten free right on the package and all natural etc. this stuff is delicious (& I am a picky eater).

You can take this and take a big leaf of kale (I am on a kale kick at the moment) or leaf lettuce or a cabbage leaf, spread on some mayo, add the meat, grate a carrot on top of it, add some sliced tomato, and a slice of red onion, then I like to squit a little mustard on top of this - eat with a knife and fork & add in a huge dill pickle spear, YUMMY... forget the cheese :rolleyes::D

or cut it up and add to a salad.

or just make a roll up with the meat and lettuce, or roll up in a heated corn tortilla...

also, since it is getting close to the holidays, anyone that wants a Honey baked Ham, just call your store & ask for a ham without the glaze on it, they usually ask for one day's notice. but one time I walked in and got the other half of a ham that someone had ordered without a glaze!!! The lady said that they keep it for one day before adding the glaze to it...

emcmaster Collaborator

Hi there -

Just wanted to echo what the other posters said - whole, naturally gluten-free foods are the best for you. They also happen to be the cheapest (most of the time). Good luck!

loraleena Contributor

I echo the other suggestions. I would also take a good digestive enzyme before you eat. It helps me with pain, bloating and gas.

Budew Rookie

Echo too!

I feel for you. I can be doing so well. Not even making changes and POW! Can't even keep water down.

It is really scarey.

Last August I was on vacation the maid called an ambulance I looked so bad. They made sure I wasn't on drugs and sent me home in the same condition. A few days later it went away as fast as it came on. It has hapened twice since.

I have no clue. I am gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, low acid, no spices......and it still happens.

Good luck! Post the answer if you find one. I'll be watching. : )

Archived