This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Heard Of Internal Bleeding Causing Celiac Onset, Or Vice Versa? (my Lung Just Collapsed!)

Aerin328

Aerin328 Apprentice

Just wanted to ask a quick question and wanted to comment regarding my absence on these forums lately. Three weeks ago my left lung spontaneously collapsed, caused by internal bleeding into the chest cavity. I lost one third of my blood out my chest and had to have a chest tube in for six days. I was in the hospital for eight days and have been in the care of family for the last two weeks. I am recovering!

Just a brief story about being a celiac on the hospital diet: My wonderful celiac partner Angelle (esthesio_vivi) actual brought gluten free noodles to the hospital kitchen for them to prepare for me. They lost the noodles and send up wheat noodles instead. After we calmly complained they sent up their dietician, who recommended a milk-based calorie drink to help keep my weight up- even though my record showed I was casein intolerant. The dietician apparently did not know casein was the protein found in milk!

Also another piece of news, when I emerged from the hospital I managed to stumble down onto one knee and I proposed to Angelle (esthesio_vivi on this forum)! She said yes – and now we are a celiac couple engaged! Crazy stuff over the last few weeks.

Anyway, is anyone familiar with any kind of connection at all between collapsed lung (hemo-pneumothorax) and/or other cause of internal bleeding and the onset of celiac disease? The doctor doesn’t agree, but I am thinking it is possible I may have had the bleeding back in April which may have stressed my body and caused the celiac to finally onset (at age 26). Did anyone else have any similar occurrence or injury that motivated celiac to finally emerge? I just think it’s too strange a coincidence that six months ago I was perfectly healthy but since then I’ve been dealing with crazy celiac’s and now a collapsed lung all in the same half year.

As always, thank you for taking the time to view this post!

Christian

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I don't know the answer to your question, I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

I'm also glad you're doing better.

mouse Enthusiast

I also don't know the answer, but I to want to say CONGRATULATIONS.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Wow, Christian, you've had some terrible, and some great things happen to you this last while!

First of all, Congratulations on your engagement!

How exciting, and you can be gluten-free together! Of course, you must realize that it's very likely that all of your kids will have celiac disease as well, right? How about posting a picture of you and Angelle, either as your avatar, or through a link? I am sure I'm not the only one who wants to see a pic!

I believe it is quite possible that the celiac disease caused the internal bleeding, as it damages your intestines. I guess the damage had to get really bad for you to finally get diagnosed with celiac disease. I am very glad that you're recovering, it sounds like you were in pretty bad shape.

Ugh, isn't it awful how clueless hospital dieticians can be? Of all people, they should understand about ALL special diets. I can't understand why hospitals won't make sure they hire dieticians who won't make patients even sicker. I guess it's all about money. Good dieticians won't work for the probably poor salary hospitals offer.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm sorry to hear about your collapsed lung--not to mention the scary experience of having to eat in the hospital! I wish I knew something about this condition, but I don't.

Anyway, congratulations to both of you--what wonderful news :)

esthesio-vivi Rookie
How exciting, and you can be gluten-free together! Of course, you must realize that it's very likely that all of your kids will have celiac disease as well, right? How about posting a picture of you and Angelle, either as your avatar, or through a link? I am sure I'm not the only one who wants to see a pic!

Thank you, we're excited! Here's a pic of christian and I :D

Open Original Shared Link

and yes, we're totally aware that if we have kids Celiac disease is almost certain. At least they will be blessed with not having to go through a lifetime of mysterious illness before figuring it out like many Celiacs.

AndreaB Contributor

Congratulations on your engagement!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

I'm not sure about a celaic connection but I know that is a painful thing to have happen to you. My son-in- law had that happen to him about ten years ago..I never seen him cry until that day..I'm so glad that you are recouping in the loving arms of family.And what a beautiful couple you make.....

Your children will be lucky that they may never have to change from wheat to gluten free. They will just grow up with gluten-free.....

blessings

mamaw

Terch Apprentice

I know that Crohns disease can affect the lungs as well as the intestinal tract.

You may want to look into that.

Congratulations!!!!!

penguin Community Regular

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Congrats to you both and I hope you have a very speedy recovery!

Guest nini

I don't know the answer to your question either, but I just wanted to say CONGRATS! on your engagement! What a cute couple you are!

That is so typical of hospital dieticians... sorry about that whole experience, that's just sucky that they lost your great gluten-free noodles that your sweetie brought up to you.

Ursa Major Collaborator
Thank you, we're excited! Here's a pic of christian and I :D

and yes, we're totally aware that if we have kids Celiac disease is almost certain. At least they will be blessed with not having to go through a lifetime of mysterious illness before figuring it out like many Celiacs.

Hi Angelle, I don't remember seeing any of your other posts, its good to see you! Congratulations to you too, and thanks for posting the picture, you look good together!

I'm glad you realize that your kids will likely have celiac disease as well, you might as well just have a gluten-free house, it will make life easier, anyway. And I didn't mean it as a bad thing, because they'll be perfectly healthy without eating gluten. Just wanted to make sure you understand that.

Aerin328 Apprentice

Thank you everyone for the congratulations. We are excited! The past few weeks have been a strange mix of pain and celebration. We're looking forward to putting all this celiac and pneumothorax crazyness behind us and starting a wonderful healthy gluten free life together. :) It's just, again, so strange to me that within the same 6 months I would be both stricken with the wrath of celiac's disease and almost die from a collapsed lung. If anyone else reads this post and knows of any kind of connection, please comment. Thank you!

covsooze Enthusiast

Not sure if this is what you mean but lots of people here have been able to identify a stressful life situation (often health related) as a trigger for the onset of their celiac disease:

HTH

And CONGRATULATIONS! :D Great to hear about your engagement! Angelle, you look so much like one of my friends, it's uncanny! Lets hear about wedding plans :D

evie Rookie
Thank you everyone for the congratulations. We are excited! The past few weeks have been a strange mix of pain and celebration. We're looking forward to putting all this celiac and pneumothorax crazyness behind us and starting a wonderful healthy gluten free life together. :) It's just, again, so strange to me that within the same 6 months I would be both stricken with the wrath of celiac's disease and almost die from a collapsed lung. If anyone else reads this post and knows of any kind of connection, please comment. Thank you!

So glad you are better!! A rough time behind you, so time for some better news like engagement, congratulations to the happy couple!! :) evie Good to see you back on the forum and your fiance.

Archived