This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hiccups

lele

lele Newbie

I am currently being tested (blood, endo, and GB ultrasound) for the cause of numerous symptoms and so decided to do a little research on my own. When I came across celiac disease, I began to wonder if my hiccups are related. I get them upon eating bread, crackers, pretzels, etc... Anyone else ever noticed a correlation or seen any research on a relationship between this phenomon & celiac disease?

And, for those who are curious, my symptoms are:

Iron Deficiency Anemia

Fatigue

Loss of Appetite

Edema in lower extremeties

Difficulty swallowing/feels like air bubbles

Pain in upper abdomin/right side

Extremely chapped lips

Bumpy, flesh colored & intensely itchy rash that comes and goes

Increasing numbers of Boils & Skin Tags

Frequent upset stomach (uneasy, gasy, noisy)

Occasional loose, mucusy, malodorous BMs

Slow & steady weight increase despite concerted efforts

Extremely painful, irregular menses

Occasional asthma

Fibromyalgia

Joint Pain

Geez, I sound like a mess! But in all honesty, I feel ok most of the time. Mostly just exhausted (constantly) and annoyed with the other symptoms.

Any thoughts out there?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

First I would like to welcome you. You have found your way to the right place.

Celiac has over 200 symptoms and you sure have quite of few of them. From what you have described, it is very likely that you have Celiac, although I cannot DX you.

My suggestion would be to read every thing you can on this sight and see "if the shoe fits".

There are many many very informed good folks here that are always willing to help.

The hickups?...don't know about that one :)

Good luck.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi and welcome to the board :) As Momma Goose said--you've come to the right place!

I'm glad you're being tested--in the meantime, I also get hiccups--mine usually come on for no apparent reason. Sometimes they will start when I stand up after laying down. Very strange.

Anyway, best of luck on getting to the bottom of you health concerns.

lele Newbie

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I have been doing much reading on the message board especially and it's great to know that you all are so compassionate and friendly.

I have my endo and ultrasound on the 31st (a miracle that managed to get them scheduled for the same day!!).

So until then...

lele

nikki-uk Enthusiast
I am currently being tested (blood, endo, and GB ultrasound) for the cause of numerous symptoms and so decided to do a little research on my own. When I came across celiac disease, I began to wonder if my hiccups are related.

My son was only diagnosed last week with celiac disease but he gets 'the hiccups' alot and they last for hours (really loud too!!)

As he's only been gluten-free a week it's a bit early to say whether being gluten-free has stopped it but so far so good! :) .I'm sure it's related to his celiac disease somehow.

I see on your list of symptoms you get boils-that's another of my son's symptoms!!

Good luck with the endo- keep us posted :)

Guest melannen

I've never thought about the possible connection between celiac and hiccups. I get them often (still do) though now that I think about it I've gotten them less often since going gluten-free.

Interesting thought...hmmmmm

And welcome to the forum!!

Guhlia Rising Star

WELCOME!!! I used to get hiccups a lot, and they were violent. Now, since going gluten free, I rarely get them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Susan M-G Rookie

I don't have hiccups a lot now, but when I was twelve I had them daily. I used to say that I had them for an entire year. I can't imagine that is completely true, but it did seem like they were incessant. After that they were frequent, and just grew less frequent over the decades. I never did learn a trick to make them go away.

I also have teeth with insufficient enamel. It was thrilling to read this is a symptom, as I get no end of speculation from dentists when I see a new one. Celiac was never among the speculations, however.

• 8 years later...
Charmane Newbie

My Rheumatologist (I have Lupus SLE) laughed at me when I made a comment about hiccups and gluten. I start hiccuping immediately after eating any form of gluten. I'm in the process of being tested now for Celiac Disease and Krohns... All these autoimmune diseases love sticking together.

LauraTX Rising Star

My Rheumatologist (I have Lupus SLE) laughed at me when I made a comment about hiccups and gluten. I start hiccuping immediately after eating any form of gluten. I'm in the process of being tested now for Celiac Disease and Krohns... All these autoimmune diseases love sticking together.

Welcome to the forum, Charmane! :)

Do note that this thread is from 2006, so these people are probably no longer active on the forum.  However it is interesting that gluten gives you the hiccups.  Definitely get tested before trying a gluten-free diet, too.  

bartfull Rising Star

I used to get hiccups several times a week and on days when I got them I had them several times a day. The ONLY thing that could give me temporary relief was a slice of lemon. But they would come back an hour or so later. Since going gluten-free I only get them once in a great while like a normal person would.

Archived