18 replies to this topic

#1 kristend

kristend

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:42 PM

Hello...I have been gluten-free since May after being diagnosed on endoscopy for reflux/lump in throat feeling. Otherwise I felt physically OK, with hardly any stomach issues. since I began this diet I have been getting progressively worse. My stomach is still OK, but I feel dizzy, and out of it all the time. All I want to do is lay down. This week I have started getting nauseous and don't want to eat anything. In the beginning this diet wasn't so bad because I felt fine, but now I feel horrible and don't know what is going on. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I super-sensitive now that I'm gluten free? I feel like I've made myself worse on this diet. Will this go away?

Thanks,
Kristen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

Are you getting appropriate nutrition? Eating other grains? Taking vitamins?

Have you considered other food sensitivities? Milk? Soy? Corn?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 Guest_Norah022_*

Guest_Norah022_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:05 PM

I have been gluten free since June and I still feel this way every day. It has been contributed to my ears (inner ear infections) and my acid reflux. Just started new meds for the reflux yesterday which are suppossed to get rid of the hungover feeling!

#4 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

Couple things that I would address:
1. Have you had the bloodwork re-done to see how well your antibody levels have gone down? If they are still high, that could be part of your problem. Make sure you have the full blood panel run---you should call your doctor and request this.
2. I'm sorry to ask this, and don't mean to be rude, but how truly gluten free are you? How often are you "glutened." Do you address cross contamination? How often are you eating out?
3. Have you looked at keeping a thorough, detailed food journal?
4. Other food intolerances.

I hope this helps some. No matter what the problem is, I hope you feel better.

#5 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:44 PM

I used to feel hungover all the time before I found out about celiac. I don't know how many steps you have taken to ensure that your life is entirely gluten-free - new pots/pans, reduce risk of cc, eating basic foods so your body can heal etc. I would guess you are still getting some gluten. If you have celiac then you should feel better off gluten even if you have all sorts of other issues.

Don't want to freak you out but you mentioned reflux. I had reflux and it is a symptom when I'm glutened. Because I was on so many antacids for so long I got an amoeba and a bad bacteria. They were able to get through the acid barrier since my antacids were making my stomach less acidic. I had to take some nasty antibiotics to get rid of those things and my bathroom issues didn't clear up and I didn't feel great until I took care of all that. Something to keep in mind for the future.

#6 kristend

kristend

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:33 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice. I actually had the blood work done 3 months after being gluten free and they were normal. I have a great Dr. so I have a good plan of care. I do eat out a lot though (well not as much as I used to but maybe once a week now). I still live at home with parents and try to cook my own meals and when they cook I hover to make sure things aren't being contaminated. You are right, I should keep a journal. I just don't understand because this was not a symptom I had before and since this diet I feel horrible everyday. I notice that when I drink (and I only drink wine or "good" vodka that is triple distilled) and I will wake up feeling like crap! I am now trying to avoid the alcohol for a while. I noticed that I can eat gluten and not feel sick (not on purpose), but when I add some alcohol i'm a wreck! Now I know the obvious thing to do is avoid the alcohol, but I don't understand why all of a sudden I feel like this when I never did before. And my reflux dissapeared in a few days after being gluen free so I know thats not the issue. I guess this is a common symptom of this disease and i'm hoping it will eventually go away. I also am taking a multivitamin (when I think of it).

Oh and how would I find out if I have any other intolerances/allergies?
Thanks again!

#7 KarenLee

KarenLee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:35 AM

A long time ago, an allergy Dr. told me that alcohol enhances the allergic reaction. For ex.-when I ate corn chips(allergic to corn) and a margarita, I would get asthma.
I would also like to know the very best way to get tested for food allergies. I know just by my own "testing" what I am allergic to, but I need an "official diagnosis", I guess.

I hope you feel better, soon!
Karen

Gluten Free since 10/22/06

Enterolab:
positive for gluten sensitivity
2 gluten sensitivity genes
positive casein sensitivity

Prometheus blood test-neg.

Hypothyroid

Osteopenia

#8 Kody

Kody

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:38 AM

I used to feel hungover all the time before I found out about celiac. I don't know how many steps you have taken to ensure that your life is entirely gluten-free - new pots/pans, reduce risk of cc, eating basic foods so your body can heal etc. I would guess you are still getting some gluten. If you have celiac then you should feel better off gluten even if you have all sorts of other issues.

Don't want to freak you out but you mentioned reflux. I had reflux and it is a symptom when I'm glutened. Because I was on so many antacids for so long I got an amoeba and a bad bacteria. They were able to get through the acid barrier since my antacids were making my stomach less acidic. I had to take some nasty antibiotics to get rid of those things and my bathroom issues didn't clear up and I didn't feel great until I took care of all that. Something to keep in mind for the future.

I'll google this and research it as well, but it doesn't hurt to ask. What's reflux? :P
arrr sorry to hijack the thread. I definitely have GERD, don't even need to look it up. Is it possible to have it without so much heart burns? I'm an athlete, prolly why I don't get too much heartburns, but I can 24/7 taste acids in my throat into my mouth. Sounds like it has to be GERD. What do you guys do to treat/avoid it?
"I have failed and that is why I succeed."

#9 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:42 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice. I actually had the blood work done 3 months after being gluten free and they were normal. I have a great Dr. so I have a good plan of care. I do eat out a lot though (well not as much as I used to but maybe once a week now). I still live at home with parents and try to cook my own meals and when they cook I hover to make sure things aren't being contaminated. You are right, I should keep a journal. I just don't understand because this was not a symptom I had before and since this diet I feel horrible everyday. I notice that when I drink (and I only drink wine or "good" vodka that is triple distilled) and I will wake up feeling like crap! I am now trying to avoid the alcohol for a while. I noticed that I can eat gluten and not feel sick (not on purpose), but when I add some alcohol i'm a wreck! Now I know the obvious thing to do is avoid the alcohol, but I don't understand why all of a sudden I feel like this when I never did before. And my reflux dissapeared in a few days after being gluen free so I know thats not the issue. I guess this is a common symptom of this disease and i'm hoping it will eventually go away. I also am taking a multivitamin (when I think of it).

Oh and how would I find out if I have any other intolerances/allergies?
Thanks again!

I can't drink wine now at all. If I have one glass I feel like I drank 3 bottles. I can drink vodka and actually can drink more of it than before without feeling hungover. I don't know how old you are or your lifestyle, but you might try drinking vodka and not wine and see if the alcohol still makes you feel really bad. Obviously, not drinking any alcohol right now would be best, but you still have to have a social life. I've read that as your body starts to heal that you can become sensitive to things that didn't bother you before because now you are actually absorbing your food.

#10 kristend

kristend

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:46 AM

I can't drink wine now at all. If I have one glass I feel like I drank 3 bottles. I can drink vodka and actually can drink more of it than before without feeling hungover. I don't know how old you are or your lifestyle, but you might try drinking vodka and not wine and see if the alcohol still makes you feel really bad. Obviously, not drinking any alcohol right now would be best, but you still have to have a social life. I've read that as your body starts to heal that you can become sensitive to things that didn't bother you before because now you are actually absorbing your food.

I think you are right! I'm 25 and I'm miserable because I feel like I don't have a social life anymore. And it always involves food either before or after I go out and I always feel left out or something. And I look like the annoying girl whose always complaining or is miserable. And that was not me before all of this. I am trying to lay off the alcohol for a while at least until the holidays and see how that goes.

#11 bharrod

bharrod

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:04 AM

I tested negative for Celiac disease, but my sister has it, I have all of the symptoms though.
I also have a new symptom, I wake up feeling hungover everyday, which is how i found this post.
But from reading this, I guess feeling hungover would be from following a gluten free diet, not from eating gluten?
Geez, no I have no idea why I am so hungover every day, I have to get rid of this feeling...............I'm not drinking, but I feel hungover bad every morning.........
Bharrod

Couple things that I would address:
1. Have you had the bloodwork re-done to see how well your antibody levels have gone down? If they are still high, that could be part of your problem. Make sure you have the full blood panel run---you should call your doctor and request this.
2. I'm sorry to ask this, and don't mean to be rude, but how truly gluten free are you? How often are you "glutened." Do you address cross contamination? How often are you eating out?
3. Have you looked at keeping a thorough, detailed food journal?
4. Other food intolerances.

I hope this helps some. No matter what the problem is, I hope you feel better.

#12 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:31 AM

"But from reading this, I guess feeling hungover would be from following a gluten free diet, not from eating gluten?"

No you have read it wrong. You have to be 100% gluten free to get rid of the hangover feeling. Removing most of the gluten, but still getting CC will make you feel worse. You become "more" sensitive to exposure to small amounts of gluten.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#13 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:08 AM

Hello...I have been gluten-free since May after being diagnosed on endoscopy for reflux/lump in throat feeling. Otherwise I felt physically OK, with hardly any stomach issues. since I began this diet I have been getting progressively worse. My stomach is still OK, but I feel dizzy, and out of it all the time. All I want to do is lay down. This week I have started getting nauseous and don't want to eat anything. In the beginning this diet wasn't so bad because I felt fine, but now I feel horrible and don't know what is going on. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I super-sensitive now that I'm gluten free? I feel like I've made myself worse on this diet. Will this go away?

Thanks,
Kristen

The exact same thing happened to me!

it gets better. your body is just adjusting- its a major change! It takes time

#14 bharrod

bharrod

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:21 AM

Okay now that makes sense, but what does CC mean?
So now I need to get rid of all gluten to get rid of this hangover feeling, it's worth a shot, this is misrable.
How can I get Celiac disease at age 36? Full blown, when I never had anything other then IBS in my 20's and 30's?
This hangover stuff just started recently.

"But from reading this, I guess feeling hungover would be from following a gluten free diet, not from eating gluten?"

No you have read it wrong. You have to be 100% gluten free to get rid of the hangover feeling. Removing most of the gluten, but still getting CC will make you feel worse. You become "more" sensitive to exposure to small amounts of gluten.

#15 Calicoe

Calicoe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:52 AM

Well, you are definitely not alone with the hungover feeling. I am getting over that now, and the total length from onset to full recovery is about 3-5 days. I have always been susceptible to migraines, but they increased in frequency this year, right around the time when I found out about my dairy and wheat intolerance. I now see a direct link to what I eat and the onset of migraines, or the "hangovers".

"How can I get Celiac disease at age 36?"

In terms of my own undiagnosed celiac disease or associated autoimmune disease, I had a series of health incidents and stressful episodes which I believe set it off. You will have to do your own detective work on that one and hone your instinct, because most medical doctors are fairly clueless on that one.
-First overt but unrecognized symptoms after reintroducing dairy and wheat to my diet after a 2-month absence, 2002.
-First appearance of chronic aphthous stomatiti, 2002.
-Giardia infection and treatment with albenzole, 2005.
-Persistent symptoms and treated for Giardia again with Flagyl twice (without testing), 2006.
-Dx milk allergy from a blood test, April 2007.
-Also presented for anemia, high white blood cell count, and candida in the same test. Dx IBS, April 2007.
-Response to diet and self-diagnosis through overwhelming symptoms and possible genetic link (hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia runs in the family), April 2008
-Currently learning to go gluten-free (April 2008), and coping with new sensitivities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: