#1 Judithg

Judithg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:47 AM

Hi,
I recently got back blood tests, and my cholesterol and triglycerides are high. They've been high off and on since my early twenties. Last year, I finally got cholesterol down to a total of 179. Now it's up to 241 again, my triglycerides are way up, and my fasting glucose is a bit high as well.

The doctor thinks it's strange that I continue to get high readings over time, especially since I currently eat pretty well. Obviously I don't eat a lot of pastries and such, and because of my IBS symptoms, I tend to be careful about red meat, dairy, fat, and other triggers.

I mentioned this on an IBS board, and a couple of people said that if you have an autoimmune disorder, including celiac disease, you can get false readings of blood lipids. Anyone here know anything about that?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2004 - 02:07 PM

I have heard that High Cholesterol goes hand in hand with "hypothyroidism". Not sure if there is any truth to that, but thought I would mention it.

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:58 AM

Actually, people with untreated celiac disease tend to have low cholesterol and triglycerides (although this is not true for everybody) because we're not absorbing well. My cholesterol was 130 prior to going gluten free. I'm now at 180. Triglycerdies were extremely low. They're up now but still under 100.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: