7 replies to this topic

#1 Turtle

Turtle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

Does anyone use splenda to bake with? If so, do you use regular splenda or the one that says splenda for baking? How does splenda work for gluten-free baking? Does it turn out just as good?
~Turtle~

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:24 PM

I do not use Splenda for anything. It is not a good product to use celiac or not celiac....I lost the site that told how bad splenda is for ones health , hopfully someone still has it, plus somewhere on this site a post states about it. I threw 2 large bags out after I read all the bad things about it.Sorry I hope I didn't burst your bubble about splenda..

#3 Turtle

Turtle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:03 PM

No bubble bursting here Mamaw....the girl I work with uses it often and it just got me to thinking and wanting to get some feedback about it...

Thanks for your input....
~Turtle~

#4 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:24 PM

Turtle,
I've never tried because I don't use artificial sweeteners, but my aunt (who is a kitchen maniac) is one of those people who makes every kind of food to adapt to every person at every event. Therefore, she always makes cakes and cookies and stuff with sugar and splenda in her recipes. Before gluten-free, I've sampled - there is a slightly aftertaste, but not bad. It's a 1 for 1 ratio of sugar to splenda for the powdered splenda. It is not the baking splenda.
I hope that helps a bit!
Gluten-free, Vegan

#5 Guest_Kathy Ann_*

Guest_Kathy Ann_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

Mercola.com tells all about splenda. He's written a book on it.

#6 hannahsue01

hannahsue01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:03 AM

My family uses Equal wich you can get in baking pkgs. as well. My grandma makes all kinds of things....my favorite being her apple pie with this and nobody can tell that it was not made with sugar.
Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

#7 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:06 AM

Does anyone use splenda to bake with? If so, do you use regular splenda or the one that says splenda for baking? How does splenda work for gluten-free baking? Does it turn out just as good?

Yes, I use splenda. I use a highly concentrated syrup though it's just pure sucralose and water. It isn't easy to come by though. Since Splenda is 600x sweeter than sugar you're really using very, very little of the actual spenda ingredient, everything else is filler.

Splenda for baking has sugar in it I believe. "Regular" splenda has maltodextrin which is corn derived.

The only thing you miss out on is the structure that sugar lends baked goods, sometimes you don't need it.

As far as safety is concerned, I think Splenda is safer than sugar is, for me anyway. However, you'll have to come to that determination yourself by weighing the evidence.

#8 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:46 AM

Mercola.com tells all about splenda. He's written a book on it.

although he makes valid points, mercola does everything for the dis-promotion of other things to promote his own.
Gluten-free, Vegan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: