3 replies to this topic

#1 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:17 AM

I would like to get tested for casein intolerance. I know I can go through Enterolab and it's only $100 so I'd do that if I had to, but out of principle I think my health insurance should pay for this. I called them up and they will not pay for Enterolab. They said I need to go to an allergist or internist. The problem is that I can't find an alergist that will test for casein intolerance (probably because it's not an allergy!) I've explained this to my insurance and have called about five allergists in the area just to humor them. So the question is - are there any allergists that will test for this? Or do I need to call my insurance back and tell them they are incompetent? I'm in the Minneapolis area if that helps. Can they do a blood test for this or is it just the stool test?

I have been casein-free for a week now just to try it out and I'm still feeling yucky. I'm not sure that casein is the problem or if it's the only problem so I'd like the testing just to help me figure out faster what direction to take in trying to determine additional intolerances.
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:46 AM

I haven't seen a fully reputable mainstream place that will test for casein intolerance (not allergy) that insurance will cover. It's still not status quo, and I had to go with a dietary test. Eliminating dairy is only half of the test, however, after a while (of being totally casein free), you have to add it back in and see how you respond. That's the reason I did a hard core elimination diet (eat only like a dozen foods for a while, adding one in at a time) - to eliminate the other variables.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:02 PM

That's kindof what I figured. Maybe I'll do enterlab on my own. The problem is that I've been casein-free for a week, but feeling worse than ever. It might be withdrawal, it might be other food issues. Because eliminating casein means that I'm eating slightly differently. Like I'm eating more meat because I need protein from somewhere. I know you read my other post about digesting meat and how I think that's making me sick so it's hard to know why I'm feeling so bad.
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#4 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:23 PM

the onlyy way i figured out mine was elimination then i felt sooo much better, but then i slowly added it in with a lactaid pill and i was fine so i just realized that i was lactose intolerant not casein, so elimination and then re-introducing is the best way to go.
Molly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: