21 replies to this topic

#1 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:30 AM

I've been vegetarian for five years and have recently started eating some meat because I've read that a lot of people feel better when they do. Well, it turns out I do, too, at least most of the time. I have no problems eating chicken or turkey. I have eaten pork a few times without a problem, but the other day I had ham and had awful stomach cramps/gas/D, etc. I had ground beef a few weeks ago and threw up after it. I know you stop making the meat-digesting enzymes after being veggie for a while, do you think this could be the problem? Is pork/beef higher in whatever enzyme I can't digest than chicken and turkey? How long does it take for your body to start producing these enzymes again?

A side note because I know all you dilegent gluten-finding people will ask, lol :) I am 99.9% certain this wasn't from gluten. Both times I ate this stuff at my gluten-free home (I live alone) and I got meat that said gluten-free on the package.
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:44 AM

It could be, depending on how much of each you ate. It could also be that the ham didn't sit well with you, or you weren't used to the fat content of the ground beef - both of those things can cause some nausea for me, depending on how things are cooked.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

A side note because I know all you dilegent gluten-finding people will ask, lol :) I am 99.9% certain this wasn't from gluten. Both times I ate this stuff at my gluten-free home (I live alone) and I got meat that said gluten-free on the package.

Yep, I was going to ask that :P , especially with the ham.

I had read it takes time for the body to start back with the enzymes too. We didn't have any problems going back to meat.

I don't know why you would react to just those. I was going to say that baby food typically has turkey or chicken added to it, but my husband told me they also have ham dinners, so the theory that chicken and turkey must be easier to digest may not be accurate. It could be a possibility though. How about trying one of those again in a couple weeks and see how you do.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#4 daffadilly

daffadilly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:48 PM

I do not know about the enzymes, but I do know that my sister and I that have DQ1 cannot eat beef, it gives us a stomach ache, not sure of the reason, but with the horror stories of beef I am happy not to eat it.
With the ham I would say it was likely all the additives in the ham that was the problem...

I would say to stick to things like chicken, turkey, salmon, shrimp, talapia(fish), tuna, and occasional pork, I do okay with pork roast and pork chops. But I have a funny thing about pork, I always eat cabbage with it, either cooked, or in slaw, I am not sure why... I also like baked sweet potatoes with pork chops.

of course a lobster every now & then is a good thing also ;)

#5 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:48 AM

I was a partial vegetarian for 17 years. I would go through stages where I would eat chicken and turkey but I never ate pork or beef the whole time. One day a friend was eating a steak and it looked good and I asked for a bite. I liked it and ate it several times with no problems at all. Now that I'm pregnant I can't stand to eat any meat but I might try it again.

So, maybe people have different experiences but I didn't have a problem going back to meat.

#6 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:33 PM

I eat very little meat an fish, maybe once or twice a week. I buy organic meat and the only kind that doesn't agree with me is beef. I'm not sure why.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#7 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:51 AM

I did this 3 years ago. No problems with chicken, turkey, fish. I do not want to eat red meat or pork. I do know that pork is extremely bad for you. It is a very toxic meat since it comes from animals that eat junk. I would avoid it. You can probably read more about it online. I would stick to free range organic meats as well.

#8 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:23 AM

I did this 3 years ago. No problems with chicken, turkey, fish. I do not want to eat red meat or pork. I do know that pork is extremely bad for you. It is a very toxic meat since it comes from animals that eat junk. I would avoid it. You can probably read more about it online. I would stick to free range organic meats as well.

I visited and had a tour of an organic farm this summer and let me tell you, the pigs were eating better than many people I know. They eat an organic blend of grains (I can't remember the ingredients, but there were only two) and the organic grasses in the fields that they live in. It was really cool to see. The farmer even ate the grains himself because they are human-grade grains.

I agree large, commercial farms where the pigs are kept indoors have completely different feed, etc. It really depends on what you buying.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#9 Budew

Budew

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:04 AM

I've been vegetarian for 30 years. I am proud of it. I hate to give it up just because it is so much a part of me. Lately I am considering chicken, trying to get past feeling bad for the chicken and the folks who had to kill it for me. I know for me free range organic would be a must.

Did adding back meat make you feel better, or just make the diet easier?

#10 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:52 AM

I am buying free-range organic meat. I don't think I could eat it otherwise. I don't have a moral problem with it if the animals are treated well.

I started eating it again because someone suggested it might make me feel better and it does. I still feel a little guilty when I eat meat, but the health benefits are definitely obvious. It's the one food that I can honestly say I feel full after. When I don't eat meat, I stop eating because I think I feel full - either because I think I've had enough or my stomach is just done with wanting me to put more food in it. It's a hard feeling to explain, but I think after so many years of my stomach being messed up, I've lost touch with my body's hunger signals and when I eat meat is the only time I feel like those hunger signals are functioning properly.

The part that I'm having the most trouble with is when I go out to eat. Obviously eating meat at a restaurant makes things so much easier, but I know it's not free-range so there's a definite internal struggle going on there.
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#11 Budew

Budew

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:11 AM

I was thinking organic free range chicken broth might be a start.

Do they make such a thing?

I know what you mean about messed up hunger responses. Never hungry, never full.

It is not a moral thing with me either. Monfort meat was in the same town I went to college. The workers went on strike because of the mental anguish of working the kill line. I have trouble getting over that someone has to do the job. I feel bad when I kill a bug. I know I couldn't kill a chicken and have a hard time getting over the poor worker who does and what it may do to them.

#12 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

I was on either a vegan or vegetarian diet for about 9 years. Just went back to eating meat as I'm intolerant to the veggie protein. I only buy the free range stuff, 100% grass fed. I order from www.uswellnessmeats.com. For fish I order from Vital Choices. There is a link to them from uswellness. We find their fish far superior to any we've had before.

I find that I stay full longer if I eat animal protein. I only eat 2 meals a day most times so that is a good thing for me anyway.

Either pacific or imagine foods make a free range chicken broth.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#13 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:30 AM

Pacific makes the free range broth (regular and low-sodium)--and it's very good! :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#14 Budew

Budew

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:46 AM

You are so good. I checked it out already. My local grocer carries Pacific free range organic chicken broth.

Deep breath. I hope people don't think less of me for not being vegetarian, but desperate times bring on desperate measures. I think I can do this.

#15 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:50 AM

You are so good. I checked it out already. My local grocer carries Pacific free range organic chicken broth.

Deep breath. I hope people don't think less of me for not being vegetarian, but desperate times bring on desperate measures. I think I can do this.

Of course no one will think any less of you! We want you to be healthy and happy--you do what you need to to make that happen.

No one answer is right for everyone--and sometimes even the best things for us change from time to time.

I know you can do this--try, and go from there. Listen to your body! ;)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: