This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Many Newbies Have Joined Us

Lisa

mouse Enthusiast

I like the question about when you go from a newby to a veteran. Now that I really think about it, I think that I am still a newby. Even after being gluten free for over 2 1/2 years and on this forum for over a year. The reason I think that, in regards to myself, is that I have to still keep asking questions and I am STILL learning and RELEARNING. I suppose it is because my memory is so bad that I have to keep relearning. But, that is really OK as at least someone is always asking an old question and I have time to relearn the answer again. Yes, I do answer some questions for the newbies, but really not that many.

I am just so glad that most of the veterans have wonderful brains to help the rest of us out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mtndog Collaborator

We're ALL learning and re-laerning constantly!!!!

MommaGoose- Well said! The newbies need the support that I got when I first came here. Thank you for reminding us! :wub: to all newbies and veterans. B

Kaycee Collaborator

Mouse,

I am a lot like you in that I don't ask as many questions as I did.

But unlike you, the reason I don't answer many questions is that I don't feel I have the confidence or experience to answer other peoples questions, even though I feel I know the answer.

Catherine

mouse Enthusiast

Catherine, you have to jump in sometime. If you are not totally confident, then qualify your answer. There have been a few times that I have been corrected and that is great. I also have done some typos that have been corrected. So, take the plunge with something that you are comfortable with. Or at least say welcome to the newby. I am sure they are scared for the most part and are worrying that we will all think that their question is a dumb one. And a welcome would help them feel comfortable.

Canadian Karen Community Regular
Or at least say welcome to the newby. I am sure they are scared for the most part and are worrying that we will all think that their question is a dumb one. And a welcome would help them feel comfortable.

That's why I add in every single welcome post that I do that our motto is "No question is too stupid to ask"..... Because it is true! There are so many intricacies to this diet that you have to ask a ton of questions so nothing slips by you in the gluten department!

Some really good examples are:

"What about the glue left behind on the apple when the sticker is removed?"

"Do I have to make sure my hair dye is gluten free?"

"Will a dishwasher kill the gluten on my pots and pans?"

Those are just a few examples of excellent questions that the person was probably thinking they sounded silly, but they are perfectly valid questions.....

Karen

mouse Enthusiast

I never thought about the glue on the apple after I take the sticker off! I assume because it is glue that it is not safe? Now I have to remember to cut that part off the apple before I eat it. 2 1/2 years and I never once thought of that glue.

Anteau25 Apprentice

I would also like to thank everyone for being so kind and helpful. I come to this forum almost everyday and read new and old posts. I don't have many questions because they have already been asked. If I never found this forum, I don't know how I would have survived so far. Another thing is that I'm a type1 diabetic and have been for 18 years. After I was diagnosed with celiac disease, I was so overwhelmed and was so unsure as to how I could cope with both. I have noticed that so many of you have additional intolerances, allergies, and illnesses. This has helped me keep up with my optimistic attitude because I don't feel so isolated and alone. Just wanted to let all of you know that your time and concern is sooo much appreciated!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

This is such a great post. We all forget how confusing this was at first. Once all the details make sense, you hit your stride and you're good for the long haul.

It's a great testiment (sp?) though that after just a few months post diagnosis, most of us just come here to visit each other and answer questions from people who have just found us.

When you first get diagnosed, or discover that this might be an answer for you, gluten seems like it's hiding in everything, and you feel like you can't even eat. There's a steep learning curve, but once you've got it figured out, you've got it figured out. After the first couple of months on this board, this is almost like a Foodie's board. Tricks and tips for cooking and baking. Looking up product status. Finding out what flour mixes or products people use for certain things. Reviews and opinions. Recipes.

I don't answer the newbie's questions as much as I should. I come by once or twice a day to just see what's going on. But the one thing that will get my attention and make me slam on the brakes to answer is someone thinking they're asking a stupid question (no such thing here) or a poop question :ph34r: . I never thought I'd be so comfortable answering poop questions, or even asking the original asker to expand on their analysis of the poop in question. :lol:

I figure that if someone has such concerns about their GI, neuro and/or psych issues that they even come across celiac as a possibility, they're in the right place here. Diagnosed or not.

Thanks for the reminder to pay it forward.

Nancy

Kassiane Newbie

I guess we can call me the end to the sunshine enema.

Because I joined a while ago, and posted in all of 3 threads. Why?

Because I had the answer, not the question. I'm not new to celiac (2 yrs, and restricted diets before that), and I've been being paid for research for going on 7 years. I turn 24 next month. Science is what I believe in. I quackbusted for ages before I even got paid for it, too.

I've also actually dealt with, through proper channels, the quacky dx's people are giving themselves. There is no such thing as sleepy adrenals. No, your fillings can't poison you unless you have a crappy dentist and your mouth is full of them. You bet I have proof you can't kick-start a failed pituitary. Et cetera, et cetera. Essentially, through either experience or being interested, I know what's crap, what sucks enough to WISH it was crap, and what's the real deal.

And I say so. And people say I'm lazy for not waking up my sleepy adrenals. Find a way to wake up my pituitary, have at it.

The 10 inch long signatures of everything wrong with a person are also more than a little off putting to a newbie, though I suppose by the definition given I never was a newbie except in post count.

So, that's why THIS "newbie" only posts when specifically requested to join a discussion. Otherwise I might have to make an "everything wrong with me gram" and, frankly, apart from a pile of food intolerances and genetic weirdnesses I am perfectly healthy.

Off-put, but healthy.

Kassiane,

science before faith in matters of heath

crucify me for that if it makes you feel better

2kids4me Contributor
The 10 inch long signatures of everything wrong with a person are also more than a little off putting to a newbie, though I suppose by the definition given I never was a newbie except in post count.

I am glad you post when you can. It sounds like you have alot of knowledge to offer. The choice to post various issues (in a signature)is a personal one and lots of members do not have signatures listing everything. For me - I am not a newbie at autoimmune disease and dont believe everything is related to celiac. I do understand how many without a medical background see improvment with gluten free and see many symptoms disappear - could suddenly relate any symptom to glutening...rather than a virus, a food that disagreed with them, an adverse effect from a medication. That is where you could provide help - to let posters know - hey its ok - that happens to many non-celiacs, its not anything new. Others may post and say - try this or ask about that... its up to the OP to decide what they will do.

I think many just post to find comfort and empathy.

My reasons for deciding to add a lengthy signature : Providing details of the challenges our family faces isnt to say - look how sick we are. ....its to say - this is what we deal with and we live life fully.

Its so that another member can see the list and say - holy cow I deal with that too! - someone who knows what Aspergers is, or Kawasaki. I have had PM's from members who asked questions etc. I posted on another thread that this is the only forum I found with posters who deal with multiple issues - and the only way I knew was to read sigantures.

Signature or no signature - I find value in everyone's input - whether I agree or disagree.

Its a community of people - foibles and all.

Hope you post more Kasiane - you have much to offer

Nantzie Collaborator

As for the 10-inch signatures, I'm definitely guilty :ph34r: . I'm sick of looking at my own in a way, but it cuts down on the length of my posts too. I've been planning on putting it into a blog here but haven't had a chance yet. If nothing else, it could use a good edit and pare-down. But honestly, I'd rather spend my time here answering questions and helping people than analyzing my sig.

So why do I have it up? Because I get PMs quite often from people who saw something in my sig that helped them. Not everyone knows that headaches or insomnia are sometimes related, or that you don't have to have positive tests to have a debilitating reaction to gluten.

And it's a sig... I know I don't read most people's sigs anymore. I don't expect many people, if any, to read mine. But when I first joined and didn't know gluten from glucose, you're darned right I read everyone's sigs. Because they helped me.

Nancy

gf4life Enthusiast

I for one have a lengthy signature, but I feel that I have put down the bare minumum of each of the 4 members of my family who need the gluten free diet. I just wanted to share a story about the fact that I included in my son Jacobs list the fact that he has FMF (Familial Mediterranean Fever), it is unrelated to Celiac, just another twist of genetic fate, yet the fact that it is there in my signature caught the eye a concerned mom in Turkey who's daughter is suffering from FMF and she needed advice and confort. She was able to contact me and we have been sharing information. She was on the site researching Celiac, since it was suspected for a while her daughter was having issues with gluten and she came acrossed my signature with the FMF...You just never know who is out there and whoe needs your help. If something as simple as a few letters of the alphabet in a signature can help someone on the other side of the world, then i am certainly going to leave it there and not feel bad about it! :)

Mtndog Collaborator
I guess we can call me the end to the sunshine enema.

I've been being paid for research for going on 7 years. I turn 24 next month. Science is what I believe in.

I quackbusted for ages before I even got paid for it, too.

Essentially, through either experience or being interested, I know what's crap, what sucks enough to WISH it was crap, and what's the real deal.

I was wondering if you could clarify some of this for us, except the sunshine enema- that was pretty clear. No one was looking for that when this thread began.

It was a call to VETERAN CELIACS not just veteran board members to help people who are newly diagnosed. therefore, I would say you are a veteran. not a newbie in the sense of being diagnosed.

What do you mean you've been paid for research? Are you a researcher or are you involved in testing? Clinical trials? Are you a doctor?

What do you mean you got paid to "quackbust"?

So, that's why THIS "newbie" only posts when specifically requested to join a discussion. Otherwise I might have to make an "everything wrong with me gram" and, frankly, apart from a pile of food intolerances and genetic weirdnesses I am perfectly healthy. Off-put, but healthy.

Kassiane,

science before faith in matters of heath

crucify me for that if it makes you feel better

This is uncalled for on many counts. there ARE people who do have MANY problems- all of them valid (thyroid, depression, gluten ataxia, other food intolerances). I'm not interested in "crucifying" anyone. I actually believe in science as well; however, no one said you had to read the signatures, as others have pointed out.

It's good for us to get feedback and I am sorry you feel so put off, but there is a way to be CONSTRUCTIVE when criticizing. It's one of the first things I teach my students.

AndreaB Contributor
however, no one said you had to read the signatures, as others have pointed out.

Beverly,

Good point. I remember seeing something, probably in my controls, where you can choose whether you see the sigs or not. If someone doesn't like sig's it can be turned off. I like to read through them at times, other times I don't, but they are easy enough to bypass even if you don't turn them off.

Green12 Enthusiast

Looks like a case of the poster trying to start an argument or debate.

2kids4me Contributor
Looks like a case of the poster trying to start an argument or debate.

Maybe, it depends on how others respond. I see that it created some responses about why we have signatures etc. That is a good thing for newbies to see.

It is one person's reality, one person's opinion.

mouse Enthusiast

I know that sometimes I read the signatures as they help me to understand what has sometimes been posted. I know I post mine as I want the recently diagnosed Celiac to see what "could happen" if they keep eating gluten. I have to clarify that I had never heard of the disease until I was diagnosed at almost age 62. And that is why it is on there. The younger you are for a diagnosis, the sooner gluten-free and the MUCH less chance of other auto-immune diseases. I hope that others are not offended by it.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I link the sig's with long lists of conditions actually do a diservice to newbies - they may encourage a newbie to think that everything is related to celiac, when we all to often have to fight off the temptation to think just that on this board. Not to mention it eats up an awful lot of screen real estate. :P That said, it's a personal decision, and as such, reflects our personalities.

I would respond to more newbie posts if they'd use paragraphs. Honestly, I try to respond to them with at least a hello, but if I'm staring at 25-30 unbroken lines of text, my eyes glaze over and I realize that the writer didn't try to break up their flow of communication. Written communication is hard enough as is, and that's one thing I don't get past easily. Long posts are fine, but lack of paragraphs or punctuation, I just can't deal with. :) (Spelling... eh, whatever. :P)

Budew Rookie

I am a newbie. Thanks to everyone for helping me. This site is fantastic. Just not having to do this alone is very helpful.

I admit I have not searched the archives but will do that before I ask anymore questions.

Thanks for the gentle kick.

Mtndog Collaborator
I would respond to more newbie posts if they'd use paragraphs. Honestly, I try to respond to them with at least a hello, but if I'm staring at 25-30 unbroken lines of text, my eyes glaze over and I realize that the writer didn't try to break up their flow of communication. Written communication is hard enough as is, and that's one thing I don't get past easily. Long posts are fine, but lack of paragraphs or punctuation, I just can't deal with. :) (Spelling... eh, whatever. :P)

This is a really good point for ALL posters to keep in mind.

Ursa Major Collaborator
There is no such thing as sleepy adrenals.

Who said anything about 'sleepy' adrenals? You better believe there is such a thing as adrenal fatigue, adrenal burnout or even adrenal failure (which will happen if you ignore the first two, and can be deadly). Just because your average MD is absolutely clueless about this problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just as most MDs know nothing about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. Are you now going to suggest those don't exist, either?

My naturopathic doctor has diagnosed me with adrenal burnout and I am being treated for it. And I am being investigated for a low functioning thyroid as well. Those explain my extremely low body temperatures, and my debilitating fatigue. And you better believe there are treatments. Just don't bother asking your GP to treat you! You would be wasting your time.

Sissy Rookie

I've started this post several times and deleted it thinking that as a new person here maybe I should keep my thoughts to myself. I said in a previous post this board has been a real source of support and hope. I was disappointed that one negative post from Kassianne was able to change the original helpful and optimistic mood of this Newbie thread. I have also noticed that Kassianne has not posted here again to explain, answer questions that were asked or defend her post

I need to read truth, feel support and acceptance and learn of reliable sources here, I hate that negativity has crept in. Sissy

Canadian Karen Community Regular
I've started this post several times and deleted it thinking that as a new person here maybe I should keep my thoughts to myself. I said in a previous post this board has been a real source of support and hope. I was disappointed that one negative post from Kassianne was able to change the original helpful and optimistic mood of this Newbie thread. I have also noticed that Kassianne has not posted here again to explain, answer questions that were asked or defend her post

I need to read truth, feel support and acceptance and learn of reliable sources here, I hate that negativity has crept in. Sissy

Hi Sissy! New person or not, your thoughts are just as important as everyone elses!!!

Regarding the negative post, well........... I guess it goes with the territory of being a public forum. I have learned to just let them roll off my back and be forgotten. Learned that the hard way! :P Don't let it erase all the positivity of this thread, that would be a shame......

Hugs!

Karen

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Welcome Sissy,

Agree with Karen.

Just because you are a new poster doesn't mean you do not have the right to 'speak your feelings'

If you really feel that someone's post is mean spirited or unkind, you have the RIGHT to click on the 'REPORT BUTTON'. This will bring the post to the moderators attention and they will forward to Scott who will look at it.

I joined at a time 16 months ago when there was a person who was being most 'unkind' and I shook as I hit the 'REPORT' button.

I have only done it 2 times since I joined, and this morning was one of the times. I usually do what Karen does, and over look it..but this morning, since it was posted on this special thread about newbies & support started in such a caring way by Lisa, really made me angry and disappointed....thus the button was clicked.

We need more new folks like you to keep the 'positive and supportive' flow of energy.

Judy

Nantzie Collaborator

You know... back to the original intent of this thread, it's the combination of different points of view, and different experiences and levels and types (mostly neuro symptoms vs mostly GI symptoms) that gives a newbie the best information.

I know there has been once or twice where I was the first poster on a newbie thread from hours ago when I hoped that someone like tarnelberry or gfp (or the many, many other practical, logical, lovely people here :D ) was going to post with some practical and/or scientific perspective to balance out my me-too, you-poor-thing, let-me-give-you-a-hug post. Because JUST that isn't very helpful without a group of replies from the whole spectrum of our experiences and perspectives.

Nancy

Archived