21 replies to this topic

#1 Kirian

Kirian

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:00 PM

I made an awesome mac & cheese tonight using Tinkyada. My recipe calls for flour. I used Bob's Red Mill gluten-free All Purpose Baking Flour. It really tasted great, but my tounge/mouth feels funny now. I looked at the package and saw that it does contain tapicoa flour. I have read about people having this problem with that.

So, my question is does anyone have a reccomendation as to which flour/flours that may work well in this. I have a GREAT health food store and can get just about any flour in packages there.

Also as I am just starting out with gluten-free flours I really don't know which ones would work best in a recipe. Is there any really good guide as to how to combine and use some of them and when it is good to use certain flours? Looking at the flours on the shelve at my health food store leaves me overwhelmed! :blink:

THANKS! :D
Working on being gluten free again.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

Hi, Kirian,

Welcom abaoard!

I use plain old cornstarch with good results. I think potato starch would work just fine, too. Isn't Tinkyada great? I can't tell hte difference between it and the gluteny stuff!

For flour blends, it depends on what you are sensitive to. A lot of mixes call for tapioca starch, but there are some that don't. Roben Ryberg has a book out that calls for only cornstarch and potato starch for every recipe in the book!

I use Annalise Roberts' Gluten Free Baking Classics for just about everything that calls for flour, anbd she has one mix for cookies and cakes and another for breads and pizza crust. She has awebsite with some recipes on it--I think it's www.foodphilosopher.com but I might have it wrong, so if it doesn't work, try googling it and see what you find.

Good luck and happy cooking!

#3 Kirian

Kirian

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:37 PM

Thanks Fiddle-Faddle!

Hmmm...cornstarch huh? Not a bad idea. :lol: I wonder if it would be too much in my recipe though, I use 6 Tbsps flour. Should I use the same ammount cornstartch?

OMG, Tinkyada is the BEST! :wub: I am so greatful for the stuff. DH and I have it almost every night as a side with dinner and have been for quite some time. We both actually like it better than we ever did whole wheat pasta.

Thanks for the additional advice! Much appreicated. :)
~~~~~

Thank you Mike! :)

#4 Gin

Gin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:08 PM

What is Tinkyada is the BEST????

#5 Kirian

Kirian

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:16 PM

Hi Gin! It is a wonderful pasta that is gluten-free and made in a dedicated facility. Really awesome stuff. :)

http://www.tinkyada.com/

#6 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:18 PM

i use a variety of flours but mostly as a base just brown rice flour, it works the best my mom thinks and she uses it in everything especailly cause it is more nutritious than just plain white rice flour.
Molly

#7 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:51 AM

Thanks Fiddle-Faddle!

Hmmm...cornstarch huh? Not a bad idea. :lol: I wonder if it would be too much in my recipe though, I use 6 Tbsps flour. Should I use the same ammount cornstartch?

Sorry, I should have specified--use a bit less cornstarch, maybe ue only 4 Tablespoons, and it lumps up if you try to use it as roux (at least, it lumped up when I tried it), but it works beautifully if you mix it with a little of the milk (say 4-6 tablespoons) and add it after the rest of the milk is boiling but before you add the shredded cheese.

I'm getting hungry....

#8 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

yeah we used to use cornstartch until i became allergic to corn and now we use potato and tapioca startch not the same but they work.
Molly

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:14 AM

For thickening, I tend to prefer sweet rice flour. I grew up using cornstarch, and that works fabulously too. For some reason, I prefer the sweet rice flour taste/texture these days.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:16 AM

For thickening, I tend to prefer sweet rice flour. I grew up using cornstarch, and that works fabulously too. For some reason, I prefer the sweet rice flour taste/texture these days.

sweet rice flour does taste really good, we use that for thickening instead of corn cause i am off that now too.
Molly

#11 Kirian

Kirian

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:39 AM

You guys are the best! Thanks a bunch for all the great help with this! :D

flagbabyds:
Thanks for the tip. I did see brown rice flour at the store and almost got that instead.

I will do a search too, but does anyone know of any cc issues with Hodgson Mills? That is the brand of brown rice flour my local grocery store carries. According to their website they are very careful to prevent cc with their gluten-free products.

Fiddle-Faddle: Thanks for the help with the cornstarch!

tarnalberry:
Sweet rice flour, that sounds good. Thanks!

#12 megzmc3611

megzmc3611

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:15 AM

Kirian,

I know this does not answer your question, but I made a delicious mac n cheese the other night (tastes just like the Kraft Mac n Cheese). I cooked up a bag of Tinkyada elbow noodles. Then added milk, butter and a can of the Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Cheese Topping (it comes in a little blue can, looks just like the orange powdered cheese that comes in the regular "gluten" Kraft mac and cheese boxes ). I don't really have measurements, I sort of just through everything in, to taste. Then I mixed in a pound of cooked lean ground beef. It was delicious and so easy!
Megan
Diagnosed Celiac in Feb 2004
Boston, MA

#13 ariel2006

ariel2006

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:16 AM

Depending on the recipe, I use a wide range of flours. I find that some work best for certain applications, and others work better for different ones. My list includes: rice (white, brown, sweet), tapioca, buckwheat, amaranth, cornstarch, teff, sorghum, Quinoa for the mostpart. I am not too partial to bean flours, potato starch, or soy flour for most of my baking, though they can surely be used too.

Hi Mike.
I've been searching for information about quinoa and I've found a good compilation in:

http://quinoa.iuhu.com.ar/

It includes information about quinoa and some preparation instructions and recipes.

#14 Confused in Iowa

Confused in Iowa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

Help! I'm new to this gluten free cooking - what is Tinkyada?????????

#15 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:52 PM

Help! I'm new to this gluten free cooking - what is Tinkyada?????????

Tinkayda is a brand of rice pasta--it's very good and most here love it :D

Whole Foods has it, but recently even my local Acme carries it.

Here's a link, so you can take a look--

http://www.tinkyada.com/
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: