8 replies to this topic

#1 Willow5

Willow5

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:03 PM

My son has encopresis. He started out with the clay colored stools and then with a cycle of constipation for about 4 days followed by a large bm followed by a couple of days of diahrea. Up to a couple of times daily he soils his underwear. We have battled with this for a long time - he is now 10. He is being treated with miralax and scheduled sits on the toilet. My daughter who is 2 started up with the same symptoms - that is when I thought of celiac.

We got son tested and he came in low equivical results for Anti Gliadin AgG, I then got husband tested, he came in low equivical on Anti Gliadin AgA, then I got tested and came in about 3 times higher than normal on the Anti Gliadin AgG. Since then my mother came in positive with the Tissue Transglut Antibody.

So somehow there seems to be a leaning to possible Celiac. I am wondering if anyone else has kids with encopresis.

Nan
Nan

-Anti Gliadin Ab IgG 39 Spring 2006, positive improvement to gluten-free diet, past possible symptoms of thyroid, miscariges, heart palpitations
-Enterolab results Anti-gliadin 8, Tissue transglut 5, Genes 2,7

-husband genes 8,6
-Son age 11 postive enterolab results, high Gliadin AB IgG. Encopresis (soiling) Genes 2,8
-Daughter age 3 Chronic Constipation, eczema, clears up on gluten-free.
-Three children no symptoms, not tested
-Mother positive in Tissue Transglut Antibody, IgA Fall 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 2kids4me

2kids4me

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

My son has struggled with it off an on... we just figured out that it is related to 2 things - lactose and consitipation. Our daughter just started going lactose free and as an experiment we had son go lactose free..he decided he didnt have to worry so he went back on regular milk etc. Lo and behold but his "wet toots" [as he calls them] returned withing 6 hours of lactose in his diet, after a few days of having no problem (when lactose free)

The cause varies but it seems to be -for our son - related to lactose (he is also celaic/diabetic).
Now I am wondering if the dairy is also behind the constipation too.......
Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986
hypothyroid -1993
pernicious anemia
premature atrial beats
neuropathy
retinopathy
daughter is: age 15
central hypotonia and developmental delay
balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)
hypothyroid 1996
dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002
celiac 2004 - by endoscopy
diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet
recovered from Kawasaki (2003)
lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06
Gilberts syndrome (April/07)
allergy to stinging insects
scoliosis Jan 2008
nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008
allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13
type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday
celiac - 2004 by endoscopy
lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

#3 Willow5

Willow5

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:19 AM

thanks for the input, my son does drink dairy, have tried no dairy before but not combined with gluten free... always a new twist! thanks again, Nan
Nan

-Anti Gliadin Ab IgG 39 Spring 2006, positive improvement to gluten-free diet, past possible symptoms of thyroid, miscariges, heart palpitations

-husband genes 8,6
-Son age 11 postive enterolab results, high Gliadin AB IgG. Encopresis (soiling) Genes 2,8

#4 AmandaD

AmandaD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:38 AM

I don't know if this relates but when I was about 8 I had encoperesis and constipation issues throughout all of childhood.

I was diagnosed by my doc with Celiac last year. (They wondered if all those years of constipation were really undiagnosed celiac)...
Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

#5 Willow5

Willow5

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:06 AM

I don't know if this relates but when I was about 8 I had encoperesis and constipation issues throughout all of childhood.

I was diagnosed by my doc with Celiac last year. (They wondered if all those years of constipation were really undiagnosed celiac)...

How did you overcome encopresis? Do you remember soiling? Was it concious or an uncontroled situation? I often wonder if my son does it because he doesn't care, is too busy or truely can't control it! I notice with my 2 yr old daughter that her constipation clears up on gluten-free. My son age 10 eats too much Gluten too often to notice if there could be any improvement.
Nan

-husband genes 8,6

#6 TCA

TCA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:31 PM

My son had this until going gluten-free. He wasn't constipated, just couldn't control his bowels at all. After a month gluten-free he was completely potty trained, but still has accidents if he gets gluten unintentionally. We had a foster son who had MAJOR problems with this. It turned out that he had an impaction the size of a grapefruit. Once that was cleared out, the problem went away. He's no longer here, but with his ADHD issues I now wonder if gluten may be an issue for him.
If you're looking for info on how to get started on the gluten-free diet, check out this List for Newly Diagnosed.
Self - Pain free since going gluten-free 9/05 (suffered from unexplained joint pain entire life), asthma improving, allergies improving, mysterious rash disappeared (probably DH)
Husband - Type 1 diabetic, Negative bloodwork
Son - Elevated IgA, Very high IgG, 2 negative biopsies - HLA DQ2 and DQ8 positive, Amazing dietary response since 1/06
Daughter - Congenital Heart Defect (2 surgeries), Reflux, choking issues, eczema, egg allergy - HLA DQ2 positive, Good dietary response (via me because of nursing) since 9/05
"All things happen for good for those who love God..." Romans 8:28

#7 AmandaD

AmandaD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:31 PM

How did you overcome encopresis? Do you remember soiling? Was it concious or an uncontroled situation? I often wonder if my son does it because he doesn't care, is too busy or truely can't control it! I notice with my 2 yr old daughter that her constipation clears up on gluten-free. My son age 10 eats too much Gluten too often to notice if there could be any improvement.

I was so young I barely remember, except that I wouldn't go to the bathroom for days and days. Then the doc started having me do mineral oil and orange juice drinks and eventually it wasn't so bad...but I had some issues basically until I turned 30 which is when my GI did the bloodwork and found out I had celiac.
Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

#8 julpez

julpez

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hi my son is 6 and always has had encopresis ( i thought he was always straining who new he was holding it in ) He has also always broke out into different rashes that have never been diagnosed clearly???? He's always sick with cold& cough?? I have to say his stools are not always hard he just tries to hold them in! He is going to get tested for Celiacs this week as our doctor seems to think its all connected in some way. I will post results.

#9 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

Hi my son is 6 and always has had encopresis ( i thought he was always straining who new he was holding it in ) He has also always broke out into different rashes that have never been diagnosed clearly???? He's always sick with cold& cough?? I have to say his stools are not always hard he just tries to hold them in! He is going to get tested for Celiacs this week as our doctor seems to think its all connected in some way. I will post results.

Just to let you know - this thread is 6 years old. Most or all of the posters are no longer active on the forum.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: