Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Is Wild Rice Gluten-free? May Be A Dumb ?, But I've Heard Yes And No

8 posts in this topic

Planning Thanksgiving and thinking about a wild rice stuffing. I've heard wild rice IS and ISN'T gluten free. Anyone know? Thanks.

Ads by Google:

hmmm, wild rice isn't actually "rice" it is a grass, I don't think it has gluten in it naturally, but some brands may have some in it... as with anything, it's always a good idea to check with the manufacturer if you have any doubts.

i eat wild rice ALL the time and i have never found one that has gluten, it is much more flavorfull than brown or white rice, but ues always chck with the company.

Yep, plain ol' wild rice is gluten-free. If you're using it in a stuffing, I would encourage you to combine it with brown rice (for taste) and arborio rice (for texture). I find that a 1:2:1 (wild:brown:arborio) ratio works well. The wild rice will give you a nutty, chewy taste and texture, the brown rice will give an earthy taste, and the arborio will add a creaminess that is reminscent of bread based stuffings. (It's a stove-top cook, however, and you'll have to stir frequently, as this is technically a risotto.)

*Note: medium or short grain brown rice works better than long grain, again, for the creamy texture aspect.

Any plain wild rice will be gluten-free, but, for instance, Uncle Ben's flavoring packet for its wild rice has wheat in it. So you have to watch what it is you're eating.

richard

Thanks, everyone. Much appreciated. Be well.

Hi Steve! Just wanted to add - there's no such thing as a dumb question on this site! Don't worry about a question sounding silly, all questions have merit......

Karen

i eat wild rice ALL the time and i have never found one that has gluten, it is much more flavorfull than brown or white rice, but ues always chck with the company.

What brands do you buy?