Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How To Add Protein To A Restrictive Diet?

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 FeedIndy

FeedIndy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

DD will be tested this Thursday, but for now I'm getting concerned about variety in her diet. She's almost 1 and I feel I should be adding protein to her diet. However she has reacted to both chicken and beef. With fish, eggs and peanuts being high allergens I'm afraid to even try introducing them this young. Any ideas on how to get protein in her?
[color=#993399]Mom to 3 girls
DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006
DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:03 PM

I know that Boost has a "High Protein" version that comes in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. They are also gluten free. I don't know if they are okay though for a one year old. Maybe check with the pediatrician to see if you can maybe add a bit of it to smoothies, or add it to some milk to dilute it......

Good Luck!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:33 PM

some dairy if she can have it, and since she's 1, some eggs, some nuts (almonds are good), some soy, and some protein powders. mix it up and don't rely on any one thing in a day. (rice and hemp protein powders are available - I use both in smoothies.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 bklynceliac

bklynceliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:45 PM

maybe peanut butter?
Diagnosed through Enterolab (9.27.06)
Antigliadin IgA 164 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 75 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fat Score 874 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 73 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

#5 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:45 PM

DD will be tested this Thursday, but for now I'm getting concerned about variety in her diet. She's almost 1 and I feel I should be adding protein to her diet. However she has reacted to both chicken and beef. With fish, eggs and peanuts being high allergens I'm afraid to even try introducing them this young. Any ideas on how to get protein in her?

Since she's not quite 1, the bulk of her nutrition (including protein) should still be coming from breastmilk or formula, so I wouldn't worry about having to get high protein solids into her...eating foods is still a learning process at this point. Milk and cheeses should be added after the age of one. If you are worried about allergies, then hold off on egg and fish until after one year (note that the MMR shot has egg in it. If you are choosing to innoculate, you may want to try egg before that shot...or put the shot off until later.) Peanuts, tree nuts, chocolate and seeds should not be introduced until after 2yo...or ideally after 3yo for peanuts & tree nuts.

Michelle

#6 FeedIndy

FeedIndy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

Oops, I forgot to mention is also allergic to dairy so she's not going to get protein from milk or cheese. I appreciate all the suggestions so far! I'm hoping she comes up negative to eggs so we can go that route. She's never had anything with egg in it so I don't know if she'd react. It's not one I'm willing to try, of course, until after her allergy testing.

I'm probably just borrowing trouble since we'll know more later this week, but I can't help but worry and try to find ways to help her.
[color=#993399]Mom to 3 girls
DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006
DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: