This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Temperature Chart

Ursa Major

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, I saw my naturopathic doctor last Thursday. I told him about my low temperatures, and what I heard here about Armour and the connection of thyroid troubles and low functioning adrenals.

Anyway, he explained to me how it all works. And he gave me a temperature chart to fill out every day. I am supposed to measure my temps three, six and nine hours after getting up, put them on the chart for every day, and then figure out the average temperature for the day, and put that in the chart in red as well. In the end all the dots can be connected to see the trend.

This far, over the course of four days, my average temperature altogether is 35.5 degrees Celsius (95.9 degrees Fahrenheit). The highest I got to on two days was 35.9 C (96.62 F). Today was the lowest, with a high of 35.6 C (96.08 F), and a low of 35.3 C (95.54 F).

My doctor says, that at this point he is not allowed to prescribe 'regular' medications here in Canada (he says that naturopathic doctors are allowed in the US), but that by the end of the year those regulations will likely be changed. So, if he figures I need thyroid medication, he will come with me to see my regular GP, explain things to her, ask her to prescribe the medicine, and to let him supervise my treatment.

I don't think she'd have a problem with that, as she is very open to alternative medicine, and is very supportive of whatever I think I want done.

In the meantime I am on special supplements for adrenal function, I am supposed to end all my showers with alternating hot and cold, ending on cold (it helps with detoxification, as it gets the lymphatic system moving), and putting a flannel with castor oil on my liver for 30 minutes every day (covered by plastic), to help the liver detoxify.

I'll see him again on Wednesday a week from this coming Wednesday. I really like him, and I'm confident that he knows what he is doing, and that we'll figure things out in the end, it just takes a little time. I think we make a good team. He answers all my questions in detail, never treats me like I don't know what I am talking about, and encourages my research.

I finally also got the results for my vitamin D levels (that one took longer than the rest). Normal levels are 50 - 150 ( I think that's an awfully large 'normal' range). A year ago my level was 24, and now it is 158! Which is slightly too high. I had been taking cod liver oil, which obviously worked. I now have to cut back on the vitamin D intake, but the doctors (that goes for both of them) aren't concerned, since it's just barely over the upper limit.

Anyway, I just thought some of you might like an update on my quest for answers, and trying to get well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Corkdarrr Enthusiast

You are so unbelievably lucky to have found a doctor that will work hand-in-hand with you like that. Im' still in the process of 'interviewing' new doctors to find one who doesn't discount everything I mention about my diet.

I need to move back to WI where I have a much larger support network in the (alternative) medical community 'cuz I've got NO ONE here in SC and it's starting to weigh on me!

Courtney

jerseyangel Proficient

Very interesting, Ursula. Thanks for keeping us posted--that doctor of yours sounds like a "keeper"! :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

I'm very happy you're finally working through this!!!! You'll feel better soon!

dlp252 Apprentice

Very cool Ursula!!!! I'm just starting my own quest with a new group of doctors who are open as well to alternative methods of finding out what is wrong! It is exciting to read your experience!!!!! Thanks.

georgie Enthusiast

Excellent news Ursula ! Are you taking the basal temp as well ? The basal temp is for Thyroid and the day temps ( averaged) show adrenal. Low but stable indicates Thyroid only. Low and unstable indicates Thyroid and Adrenal. If natural adrenal support doesn't work you may have to consider HC. Have you read 'Safe Uses of Cortisol' by Dr Jeffries. Have you checked your B12 ? My vit D was low also and wonder if all Celiacs get a bit low on vitamins. My B12 was horrendously bad. Do your research into Armour. It works but you have to titrate the dose until symptoms disappear. Your Dr sounds wonderful! :)

Ursa Major Collaborator
Excellent news Ursula ! Are you taking the basal temp as well ? The basal temp is for Thyroid and the day temps ( averaged) show adrenal. Low but stable indicates Thyroid only. Low and unstable indicates Thyroid and Adrenal. If natural adrenal support doesn't work you may have to consider HC. Have you read 'Safe Uses of Cortisol' by Dr Jeffries. Have you checked your B12 ? My vit D was low also and wonder if all Celiacs get a bit low on vitamins. My B12 was horrendously bad. Do your research into Armour. It works but you have to titrate the dose until symptoms disappear. Your Dr sounds wonderful! :)

Georgie, my vitamin B is 830 (normal is more than 150), I was tested for everything just recently. Blood sugar, cholesterol, ferretin, hemoglobin etc. are in the perfect range, too. So were the thyroid tests they did, though. But as you said yourself (and my naturopath agrees), that doesn't mean the thyroid is functioning properly.

That's why I am doing the chart. My temperatures are low, and are all over the place, not stable at all. Earlier today in the afternoon it was 34.9 Celsius (which is considered mild hypothermia), and I just took it again, and it's now 36.1. So, the lowest and the highest temperature this far in one day!

Anyway, I'm now hopeful we'll figure it all out. I am very glad I found this doctor, he is the most knowledgable doctor I've had in my life, and the easiest to talk to. And to think I almost didn't go, because he's got a bad picture of himself in his website! He is not handsome by far, but improves when talking to him, because of his beautiful personality. :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

georgie Enthusiast
. And to think I almost didn't go, because he's got a bad picture of himself in his website!

LOL :lol:

Lots of Drs can't understand Thyroid tests. Its still possible that your test showed 'something' but it takes a trained eye to see it. However - if this Dr is happy to treat symptoms first - that is good. Those temps look Thyroid and adrenal to me but I am not a Dr. Just a Thyroid sufferer ! The folk at STTM have a lot of experience if you need to check something. At least your B12 is good. Your Celiac hasn't depleted your B12.

Ursa Major Collaborator
At least your B12 is good. Your Celiac hasn't depleted your B12.

Actually, a lot of my vitamin levels weren't so good a year ago, before I went gluten-free. They have just improved tremendously as my intestines have healed.

bluejeangirl Contributor

Ursula, I'm glad your getting some more answers. I was reading in one of my husband manuals about a Iodine-skin Patch Test. I didn't do it but I'm planning on it.

******************************************************************************************

Iodone-Skin Patch Test:

1. Purchase an inexpensive 2% solution of Iodine (Lugol's Solution) at any drug store.

2. Paint a 1 to 2 inch square patch of skin with solution, staining the skin brown. You can use the thyroid area or more conveniently, the abdomen, an upper arm or thigh, being carful not to contact any clothing until completely dry to avoid staining. Note the time you apply the iodine.

3. Iodine-deficiency is indicated when the stain is gone in under 24 hrs. This may be linked to hypothyroidism. If the stain lasts 24 hrs. or more, iodine status is normal. This supports normal thyroid function.

This very simple method will not only diagnose the problem, but will get your thyroid functioning again. Repeat this iodine test every three to six months. In the meantime, take supplements with iodine, such as kelp (the highest concentration of iodine known) or eat iodine-rich foods, such as beef liver, turdey, asparagus, white onions and broccoli.

Caution: Don't apply iodine more than once in a twenty-four hour period as you may experience symtoms of iodine overdose: heightened awareness dilated pupils, and a metallic tast in the mouth.

******************************************************************************************

Like I said I don't know anything more on this test but I can ask my husband or you can show this to your doc.

blessings,

Gail

Ursa Major Collaborator

Gail, that looks like an interesting thing to try. I think I will do it, I don't believe it can do any harm.

tiffjake Enthusiast

Just FYI-Naturopathic docs CAN NOT prescribe meds in the US.

And I have done the temp chart as well, because I do basal temps every AM and mine were always below 97 (considered the lowest normal). I made my own chart, charted my temp every 3 hours, and took it into my primary doc. I didn't reach the "normal" 98.6 at all, over a week of charting my temps every three waking hours. He ran the thyroid tests and said that they all looked fine, and I may just have a lower than "normal" core temp. I have noticed that it goes up when I work out or raise my metabolic rate.

Anyway, I hope you are feeling better and finding the answers you need!

Budew Rookie

I'm charting my husband's temp. He averages 97.5. Doesn't sound too low but he is tired, aches, "feels cold"

Physical stimulation helps for a short time, so do hot showers, today we found that food helps.

I'm trying to talk him into letting me chart blood sugar. He watches me stick myself every 2 hours. Hopefully he will be a willing spirit soon.

I have a good doctor finally too. He is in intergrated medicine. Food for thought in your quest to find someone who's good and can prescribe.

I began tracking my temp to see if I could define better what I called sweats.

I found that my temp is normally 98.6 but everyday maybe a few times a day,

I feel hot, sometimes sweat running down my face soaking my hair.

The thermometer reads that my temp goes crazy during these episodes. Up a degree and down and up every few seconds. It is a miserable feeling. I can't seem to pinpoint the triggers if they exist.

Am I the only one with this?

Ursa Major Collaborator

And I have done the temp chart as well, because I do basal temps every AM and mine were always below 97 (considered the lowest normal). I made my own chart, charted my temp every 3 hours, and took it into my primary doc. I didn't reach the "normal" 98.6 at all, over a week of charting my temps every three waking hours. He ran the thyroid tests and said that they all looked fine, and I may just have a lower than "normal" core temp. I have noticed that it goes up when I work out or raise my metabolic rate.

Tiffany, last week I had a period of several days were my temperature was as low as 34.7 degree Celsius (94.46 degree Fahrenheit). Are you trying to suggest that those temperatures are 'normal'? Also, my temps jump all over the place, they aren't steady at all. That isn't normal, either. And the way I feel certainly isn't normal!

I asked my naturopath if there is such a thing as a lower than normal core temperature. And he said, no, there isn't, if the core temperature is consistently lower than 97, then something isn't right.

And yes, the regular thyroid tests will still claim everything is normal, even if it really isn't. Mine all looked just great. Regular GPs are clueless on this, just as most are clueless on celiac disease (and many other things they didn't learn in medical school).

Michi8 Contributor
I'm charting my husband's temp. He averages 97.5. Doesn't sound too low but he is tired, aches, "feels cold"

Physical stimulation helps for a short time, so do hot showers, today we found that food helps.

I'm trying to talk him into letting me chart blood sugar. He watches me stick myself every 2 hours. Hopefully he will be a willing spirit soon.

I have a good doctor finally too. He is in intergrated medicine. Food for thought in your quest to find someone who's good and can prescribe.

I began tracking my temp to see if I could define better what I called sweats.

The thermometer reads that my temp goes crazy during these episodes. Up a degree and down and up every few seconds. It is a miserable feeling. I can't seem to pinpoint the triggers if they exist.

Perhaps try taking your basal temperature...it is a more accurate view of your body temp, because during the day your temp can shift based on activity levels. You'll need a basal thermometer (it gives more accurate readings). To get an accurate basal temp you need to take your temperature upon waking before you get out of bed. It is important that you get a minimum 4 hours of uniterrupted sleep before taking your temp as well.

If I recall correctly, my basal temp was often below 97F. It's been a long time since I've bothered taking my basal temp, because after having kids I rarely got 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep. :P

Michelle

dlp252 Apprentice
It is important that you get a minimum 4 hours of uniterrupted sleep before taking your temp as well.

Holy cow, then I'd be in trouble, lol. I don't ever get 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep and I don't even have kids, or a husband, or even a dog, lol. Okay, sorry, I'm just monitoring this thread because it may be applicable, but I just had to post on that. :P

tiffjake Enthusiast
Tiffany, last week I had a period of several days were my temperature was as low as 34.7 degree Celsius (94.46 degree Fahrenheit). Are you trying to suggest that those temperatures are 'normal'? Also, my temps jump all over the place, they aren't steady at all. That isn't normal, either. And the way I feel certainly isn't normal!

I asked my naturopath if there is such a thing as a lower than normal core temperature. And he said, no, there isn't, if the core temperature is consistently lower than 97, than something isn't right.

And yes, the regular thyroid tests will still claim everything is normal, even if it really isn't. Mine all looked just great. Regular GPs are clueless on this, just as most are clueless on celiac disease (and many other things they didn't learn in medical school).

I apologize if I offended or upset you. I was simply giving you my story.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

That's wonderful news, Ursula!!! Boy, I'm almost ready to get in the car and drive the 6 hours from Pittsburgh to see your doctor (wish it was closer)!

georgie Enthusiast

Ursula, This is almost mainstream medicine with my Dr and his associates. Do some research on Iodine. Amazing. And may prevent breast and ovarian cancers too.

Gail, that looks like an interesting thing to try. I think I will do it, I don't believe it can do any harm.

Lots of reasons including chronic infections. But something that may interest you is that Hashimotos Thyroid swings between hypo and hyper as the Thyroid gets attacked by Antibodies and dies. Its possible that you may be in a hyper stage. The stages of hypoi and hyper can vary from weeks, months or even years. Hyper = high temps.

Tiffany, Have you had a 2nd opinion re this. Or a 3rd or a 4th ? There are not many Drs good at dx Thyroid and not many that believe Broda Barnes style. But 1000s of people have cured themselves by finding a Dr that uses traditional methods. Hate for you to feel sick for next 20 years all 'cos you believed in one Dr.

He ran the thyroid tests and said that they all looked fine,
CarlaB Enthusiast

Tiffany, if your temps are below 97.5 and you were taking NFP classes from me, I would be talking to you about whether you feel fatigued, whether you use iodized salt, etc. to try to figure out if low thyroid is causing it. I found that most people felt better when their pre-shift temps were above 97.5. Google Dr. Broda Barnes and you'll see the info I'm referring to. Dr. Barnes pioneered research on basal temps being a more accurate measure of thyroid than blood tests. Be sure your luteal phase is adequate, too.

BTW, Dr. Barnes said 97.8 for a low temp, but the nutritionist at CCL thought 97.6 was more accurate, and I didn't usually mention anything unless it was 97.5 or below.

Ursa Major Collaborator
I apologize if I offended or upset you. I was simply giving you my story.

Sorry, I was in a touchy mood last night, after a very stressful weekend. I felt offended last night, but reading your post today, I see no problem with it. I should make it a policy of leaving for a few hours (or sleep first) when I feel like giving a snappy answer, and the next day I might see things differently. :mellow:

Carla is right, you may want to look into low thyroid (which wouldn't necessarily show up in the regular tests).

Budew Rookie

Ursala said..

Regular GPs are clueless on this, just as most are clueless on celiac disease (and many other things they didn't learn in medical school).

Funny thing happened the last 2 days with my doctor. He was supportive, understanding, concerned, and determined to help me. I guess he's shown signs of coming around for about 6 months. He and I have stuck it out for 12 years. For a long time everyone thought all my problems were emotional. No doubt I was emotional. ( now we know it was my thyroid) Most of my celiac was explained away as side effects from anti-depressants and maybe my vegetarian diet. When I was diagnosed celiac I got really sick. The vomiting was so bad I decided it was better to be depressed. I quit the drugs. I was amazed I didn't feel any different. Still sick, but not depressed or anxious. I was too sick to work so my husband and I took all the stress out of our lives. We marvel sometimes about how easy we make life for eachother. Anyway the doctor. We waited 2 years for me to heal and get back to normal. I got worse. I got too sick to go to his office. Finally when I did go I was so miserable I was cranky and short with him. I'd say this is how it is...do something. Finally I complained to his supervisors. Everyone said switch doctors but I felt this need to educate him. He is really a great guy, smart and compassionate but new nothing about celiac. Going to see him was infuriating. I was vomiting 15 hours a day, and he did not believe me. I was taking thyroid medicine as prescribed, but he did not believe me. I was in constant pain.

Then I discovered that iodine was a major key. When I cut it out the vomiting stopped and my thyroid test suddenly were normal and steady. But I was still having problems, fevers & pain. He did nothing. Finally my husband began to go to appointments with me. I needed back up. His supervisors helped him connect me with a dermatologist, obgyn, gastric specialist, and a guy in intergrated medicine ( trained in psychology, chiro, and medicine open to many paths for healing east and west) Since Sept. I have been trying to do everything they say. Taking enzymes, vitamins, exercise, connecting with people. It has been a struggle because the enzymes just would not stay down, then a relapse. I felt like a failure. And then I found you folks. I needed to talk to folks who had been there. I found out I was not alone. And well I want to say thanks. Last week I wrote him a letter about celiac and related conditions resulting from untreated celiac disease. I included some history.

The fact that my mom was (we were told) the seventh case diagnosed in the US, 1957. They nearly killed her, feeding her exclusively rye toast when she was hospitalized nearing 70 lbs and gravely ill. Her doctor attended a conference on celiac disease, called the hospital, changed her diet to rice and saved her life. She has blocked out most of what they did to help her during the year she recovered. My dad sold his business packed up my sister (4)and brother(2) and traveled across the states while she recovered. A whole year. She was better. Returned to teaching and had me soon after. For 30 years she thought she was the only one who had the disease. She was never aware of contamination. She was well as long as she didn't get a crumb. We were always very careful. She's a home economist and has a background in chemistry. She was never actually tested, never got any guidance. About 10 years ago she began to attend a celiac group. She was amazed by all of the new information. 5 years ago my sister was diagnosed. We decided just in case, though doubtful, I should be tested too. Holy cow. I was off the charts, the damage was immense. My sister's recovered and like mom has few related ailments or allergies. Lactose. But I just got sicker. Until now.

I gave him the forum website. last week in the letter. I told him about the fact there are so many people my age that are having problems not with celiac but with related issues, especially for people who endured years untreated.

He called me yesterday. We are trying amytritoline ( can't spell) for the migranes, thanks to you folks.

He tried to help me locate l-glutamine powder by the lbs. locally.

We revised the dermatology plan.

Today I took all the enzymes, minerals, vitamins, oils, and meds, except I only took 5 gms of l-glutamine. I am working up to forty by the weekend. So far so good.

I'm stunned. Elated. I have 4 really great doctors working together to restore my health.

I write this because the doctor thing is such a huge struggle. Happy endings are rare. My mom and sister are not as lucky. So I just had to do a happy rant.

Sometimes it takes a forum to convince a doctor!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
. But something that may interest you is that Hashimotos Thyroid swings between hypo and hyper as the Thyroid gets attacked by Antibodies and dies. Its possible that you may be in a hyper stage. The stages of hypoi and hyper can vary from weeks, months or even years.

Wow, I guess I need a new endocrinologist, too.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 17 years ago. I was complaining to my endocrinologist in February that I felt hyperthyroid, even though I was on the same dosage of Synthroid that had worked for several years, but when she tested my blood, it said that I was hypo, not hyper.

And all this time, I thought I was going crazy...

georgie Enthusiast

Fiddle faddle - Not crazy. Your Dr is - for not doing his own research and training post grad.

Endos are often the worst for treating Thyroid. A natural approach often works better than Synthroid. I take Armour and 1000s of others like me do. We all find it much superior. PM me if you like. What you have to understand is that Synthroid is synthetic and made to make your blood tests look normal. But your symptoms often are still there - and Drs don't believe you. Read www.stopthethyroidmadness.com www.armourthyroid.com for how to find a good Dr near you.

Budew. Great news ! Isn't it amazing how Drs start to listen to our complaints when the hubbie comes with us ....Like ...they don't believe a woman and need the male to confirm. I stuggled for 25 years with chronic tiredness and was told it was 'normal' or CFS. Since my hubbie joined me at the Drs - I have had a change of attitude and low Thyroid was dx and treated and Celiac dx and ..........

But all the years I went alone ...I was never taken seriously ...

Budew Rookie

I take levothroxine. Thanks for the websites. It will be fun to investigate.

You know I found taking my husband to be very demeaning (spelling?)

My husband is a busy guy, so we try to make it a problem scheduling so maybe the doctor will change his behavior and start listening to me. He sits with list of questions and makes sure everything we need is covered. It is really pretty funny. We laugh at how intimidated the doc is. Suddenly he's calling me and trying to smooth over his faux pas.

Archived