Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

It's The End Of The World As We Know It!

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 covsooze

covsooze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:26 AM

I think it's POTATOES :o :blink: :angry: So, now I need to eliminate them and see how I do. Can't believe I can be allergic to my two favourite foods - potatoes and chocolate :o

I am going to eliminate all nightshades, as I'm pretty sure they all give me stomach symptoms.

I'm going to immerse myself in my work (other people's problems!) so that I don't get hysterical....

See ya later!
Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000
Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test
Nov 2005 positive blood tests
January 2006 dx by biopsy
gluten-free and dairy lite since then
I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism
Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:16 AM

OH NO! Not the potatoes and chocolate!!!! I'm with you, that will be hard... BUT, you are doing what you have to to be healthy and I'm proud of you! (like that matters LOL) anyway, big ol hugs and hang in there, and hopefully you've found the answer to your mystery.

#3 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:39 AM

So sorry to hear that. I don't think I tolerate potatoes well either, but they don't bother me that much so I'm not willing to give them up. I also have a tough time with chocolate. It is sad but hopefully it will make you feel better.

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:10 AM

Hi Susie,

Sad news, no getting around it--but if you're right, and you begin to feel better without them then it won't be so hard.

I've been like that with various foods that I've eliminated--I *really* did not want to give them up but feeling better always wins out in the end :D

And who knows? Maybe if you stay away from the offender for 6 months or so, you could then try small amounts again, and have a taste sometimes. Gotta think positive ;)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:35 AM

I cut out the nightshades five years ago, and I find that I can handle having them about once a month now. But if I eat them two days in a row I'll get digestive problems.

But it's almost harder to eat them one day, and not to be able to keep eating them, than to just not bother with them at all. Potatoes used to be my favourite food (followed by German rye bread), which figures, of course.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:18 AM

I think it's POTATOES :o :blink: :angry: So, now I need to eliminate them and see how I do. Can't believe I can be allergic to my two favourite foods - potatoes and chocolate :o

I am going to eliminate all nightshades, as I'm pretty sure they all give me stomach symptoms.

Well glad you think you've found the culprit-but commiserations on the chocolate...... :o

Keep us posted how it goes! :)
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#7 covsooze

covsooze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

:lol: Thanks for the support everyone :) I am actually quite excited in a strange sort of a way, cos very few of my symptoms have actually got better since going gluten-free (10 mths ago), even though I've been so very careful. So it's actually great to be finally geting somewhere. It also gives me more incentive to do the dreaded elimination diet thing :rolleyes: If I can work out how to do it, I'll blog my elimination experience (yuck! sorry, no pun intended! ). It is also brilliant to be somewhere where others understand this crazy thing of normal, supposedly healthy food making us ill.
Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

#8 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:28 AM

girl,
join the club! although, I'm sorry you have to.
here we all are, with our weird food issues.....hope it brings you relief, though. Let us know if we can help.
Laura

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

You'll find your way around it! I enjoy potatoes, but hardly ever have them. Time to check out more fun options. Hopefully, other root vegetables are an option - like carrots, turnips, rutabegas, and so on.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 covsooze

covsooze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:44 AM

Well, I've been nightshade free for 2 whole days ;) and I think I may be on the right track. Only 1 hive yesterday (a large one) and one small one today. And I've had definite withdrawal symptoms (headache & brain fog). Can't believe I'm doing a potato detox :lol: I am also at last getting round to simplifying my diet, heading for an elimination diet, and am almost processed food free. Hooray! I'm seeing my GP next week and can't wait to tell him my progress...
Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000

#11 Simply_V

Simply_V

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

Well, I've been nightshade free for 2 whole days ;) and I think I may be on the right track. Only 1 hive yesterday (a large one) and one small one today. And I've had definite withdrawal symptoms (headache & brain fog). Can't believe I'm doing a potato detox :lol: I am also at last getting round to simplifying my diet, heading for an elimination diet, and am almost processed food free. Hooray! I'm seeing my GP next week and can't wait to tell him my progress...

Great to hear you're doing better.. or at least not so itchy. :)
V
Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.
1992 IBS diagnosis.
2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.
2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.
2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:
IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.
IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.
Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.
2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.

#12 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:54 PM

Susie--That's so good to hear! :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev