5 replies to this topic

#1 thebirdlady

thebirdlady

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:36 PM

:unsure: Hi, I was just diagnosed with celiac disease and now my doctor wants me to start a Gluten Free Diet. I am totally lost! I have checked The lists and don't understand what to buy to eat. I am not sure what to do next. Please Help! Ronna

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2004 - 02:05 PM

Hi Ronna and WELCOME! :D

The gluten-free diet may seem overwhelming at first but it does get easier, I promise! Here are some helpful links that you may want to check out and please feel free to ask questions either on the board or through email.

Safe & Forbidden Food & Ingredient Lists for Gluten-Free Diets

Mainstream products that are gluten-free

gluten-free Food list *you will need Adobe to view this link*

http://www.kinnikinnick.com/ - this place has awesome bread, bagels, etc.

http://www.glutenfreepantry.com/ - they have an awesome brownie mix.

#3 thebirdlady

thebirdlady

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 03:20 PM

:lol: Dear Stacie: Thanks for all your help. I have been going boinkers since I found out about this. I just got this computer and boy does it come in handy. Thanks for all the info. I will check it out. Ronna

#4 Guest_Lindam_*

Guest_Lindam_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:48 AM

Hi Ronna and Welcome!

I was diagnosed in March and felt exactly the way you are feeling. Let me tell you, it does get easier. I look at this web site, daily, and get so much support from everyone out there. This forum is like having "friends" all over the world who you can talk to, who know what you are going through. I wish you good luck on this new way of life.

#5 crc0622

crc0622

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 05:12 AM

And I will add two more Celiac related forums that have been invaluable to me in the month or so since I was diagnosed:
http://health.groups...roup/SillyYaks/
http://forums.delphi...om/celiac/start

I want to strongly suggest that you not start by buying a bunch if gluten-free substitute breads, cookies, etc. (junk food, basically) and stick with eating whole foods as much as you can: meat you prepare yourself (most pure spices are okay but watch out for spice blends), veggies, fruit. Simple at first, then you can start adding in other stuff. (The substitutes are all quite expensive, also, so that alone should discourage you to some degree!)

Read as much as you can. Not all of it will be applicable to you, but use your judgement to cull what you can use. The sites above both have great food lists and other info that, in my opinion, is much better than this site.

Post when you have questions. The forums are great!
Celeste
Jacksonville, FL

#6 DawnI

DawnI

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:40 AM

Hi Ronna
You have come to The Right place. Everyone is so helpful here and so knowledgeable. Glad you got the Computer. It makes finding out about Celiac so much easier - I dont know What people did before the PC.....

being gluten-free does get easier - there are lots of "regular" products That are gluten free. Stick to the basics, meat, chicken, fish, rice, potatoes And veggies and Fruits and develop your list of other things that you can eat.....
Good Luck
Dawn
Son - age 11 Sean, dx 4/03
daughter - age 4.5 Hope dx 7/04
In memory of husband Bob - undiagnosed celiac disease that lead to lymphoma - March 5, 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: