This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Should I Bother With My Hmo

JerryK

JerryK Community Regular

Howdy,

Don't know if I've said this before, but I belong to the lovely Kaiser Permanente...

Should I bother my gatekeeper/GP with my gluten sensitivity, or should I

go directly to Enterolab?

Frankly I've never gotten much from my HMO except when I've had strep

throat. Other than that it's pretty much a waste of my time to go.

Should I bother my GP about an antibody test or should I just to to Enterolab?

Is Enterolab reputable? Does anyone ever test negative? Will my wife think I'm

insane when I mail my poo off to be analyzed??

Jerry

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

No one can answer these questions for you. You just have to go for it. Maybe they'll turn you down, but no one can say for sure. Not only is Kaiser different in different locations, but it varies by the doctor as well. Don't worry about what people will think about you, worry about how your health! :)

aikiducky Apprentice

If you can afford it, I'd do everything - have your doctor do the blood tests, send some poo off to Enterolab :) , and after all testing is done, try the diet.

Make sure your doctor orders the correct blood tests though, they're often clueless about which ones you need.

Pauliina

debmidge Rising Star

What indication did Kasier make that made you feel not to bother them?

There is an appeal process....

JerryK Community Regular

About three years ago, in the throes of a depression, I had Kaiser check my testosterone levels.

My level on two separate tests was 240 ng/dl and 255 ng/dl. While barely within the accepted normal

limits, it's also the level of an 80 year old man...(I'm 46).

Any other doctor would have given me a trial of Testosterone supplementation, but not Kaiser.

I pushed it. I submitted an appeal, I went to three different endocrinologists. They were just

humoring me. They had no intention of treating me, because, although they know my levels are

low, if they admit that low testosterone is a treatable condition, then they have to pay for it.

Now, if you think about it, it seems that someone who's Celiac or Gluten intolerant could certainly

have hormonal problems. I mean our bodies manufacture hormones out of the foods we eat and

absorb. Testosterone is manufactured from cholesterol...if you're pooping out all your fat, you

probably aren't going to feel like a jackrabbit on a date.

So anyway, it was at this point I realized that Kaiser isn't there to make me feel better. They are there to help(hopefully) if something catastrophic happens....they aren't interested in your quality of life, especially if it costs them money. Sorry for my cynical attitude, but it is what it is.

So this is why I've put off going to Kaiser and having the Celiac Panel done, I think Kaiser is worthless, although I could probably get them to run the correct tests, if I showed them what they are.

Jerry

Archived