This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corection....i Cheated And Something Really Did Happen!

DingoGirl

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Okay remember my astonishment at eating the donuts last Monday and having nothing happen? Well...I have a further confession. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: I cheated again, on Tuesday....wanted to test it to the extreme and was in a devil-may-care mood. I wastoo embarassed to tell you all that I cheated TWICE. So on Tues. ate four pieces of banana bread from Trader Joe's. So...that's three donuts on Monday, four pieces of bread on Tuesday. No D.

welllllll.....by Thursday I had MAJOR flatulence, cramping, bloating....and constipation. And Friday....the delayed onslaught. Oh lord. This is TMI but it was the most noxious and toxic D....very painful and awful, for a couple of days. By Saturday night I was doubled over in fetal position, intense pain, bloating and cramping. Realized that for the three days prior, I had the old kicked-in-the-gut feeling, and my poor villi were wounded. Ouch.

I'm all better today, and I will never cheat again. Never. Ironically, the day after the cheating, I got a ltr. from GI's office for followup bloodwork. I am going to delay this - tell them what I did and postpone the test - not sure by how long. How long do you think I should wait to have my numbers return to norrmal?

thanks......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest melannen

No idea about how long to wait; but I'm glad you're feeling better and learned your lesson :P:)

AndreaB Contributor

I think I've read it takes a month to get over the damage, but don't quote me. Dangerous grains is in the room and Seth is sleeping. He had such a rough night I don't want to tip toe past him.

Your numbers should come back down in that time as well, if not sooner.

Glad you are feeling better now my friend. :)

Guest cassidy

On one hand I'm very sorry you got sick because I know how bad it feels, but on the other hand I'm so glad it happened. Between your post and the guy that can drink Bud Light and not get sick I was beginning to feel like I was missing out and maybe nothing would happen if I cheated. So, since you got sick, I again realize that cheating isn't worth it. I just wish I could get the craving for Papa John's Pizza out of my head!

Hope you feel better soon and that you enjoyed the food that you ate.

Jestgar Rising Star

Wow! I'm sorry it was so harsh. I hope it all goes away soon.

Kaycee Collaborator

Susan, I am sorry you got a reaction. I guess that was your last lot of donuts and banana bread.

At times I think we like to push that envelope as far as we can. While I am feeling well, I find it hard to remember just how bad I felt, so just a little dabble at those times does not sound to be too bad. I myself tested it just be sure that I did have problems with gluten, that was before diagnosis, and the results of eating sandwiches weren't too convincing, so I had a burger king hamburger a day later, and yes I did get a very convincing reaction!

While feeling so well, I sometimes tend to disbelieve that I have coeliac. I know I get frustrated occassionally that I just can't pick up anything and eat it. Times like that I feel like rebelling and tell everybody how I feel! But my conscience, in the form of my husband says "You'll get sick." I think he is just crying out, "Don't do it, cause if you do it, my life will be hell." He is not worried about how I feel, but I think he is more often worried about the battering he will get from me. I get grumpy!

I have not cheated on the big things since Burger King, but did have a little bag of grainwaves about 5 months ago, that was a low point in my journey to accepting coeliac, and I think emotions and feelings play a big part in how we treat food (get visions of roasted lamb here), let alone what we eat. But now I try to steer away from gluten, and only get the occasional accidental glutening.

Catherine

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Thanks everybody. What upsets me the most, I think, was the really tender stomach ache for about three days - the ache that used to be constant and I really didn't even know it until it was gone. So, what upsets me about that is that I injured my villi, and did reverse the healing to an unknown (hopefully small) extent.

I enjoyed my binges very much :ph34r: , but they were just so fleeting.....I know I can find some foods that replicate those tastes. Some of you may remember that part of this binge was wanting to see what would happen....now I know and have learned my lesson!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm sorry that it was so painful, but glad that you won't cheat again! Hope you're feeling tip top again soon!

eleep Enthusiast

Ditto -- I'm sorry you had to go through that -- I am recovered nicely from a glutening exactly three weeks ago -- in a week I think I should be back to normal, so a month is probably about right!

e.

almostnrn Explorer

So glad you are feeling better and at least you got to enjoy the source of you gluten filled moment. I've had a terrible flare and can't for the life of me figure out from what which is the worst...good luck you you and your villi on a speedy recovery!

Aerin328 Apprentice

If this event prevents you from ever intentionally glutening again, then it was definitely worth it. Good luck in your speedy recovery!

kbtoyssni Contributor

I'm glad you're feeling better! And if this is what it takes for you to commit to be 100% gluten-free now, then I can't fault you for that. I'm happy that you're never going to cheat again.

paw Apprentice

I hope you are feeling better after your "extreme gluten" experience. Your body took it's time but then it yelled really loud so you could not ignore the messages it was sending. I still want pizza, but I know it will hurt me.

I find it odd that the cheat food were things I make gluten-free and dairy free. I have a little donut maker that is like a waffle iron type thing and I make cherry fried cake donuts. (You can buy the Daisy Donut Factory type things on eBay or a garage sale, I don't think they make them now) Banana muffins are the only other "bread" thing I make and they are gluten-free too. Take care of yourself and feel better.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

It is interesting, Paw....but, I wanted to cheat with some of my favorite gluten things, really did want to see what would happen, and those are a few....Pizza, I don't care about....burgers, don't think about much....my mom's oatmeal/choc. chip/walnut cookies w/ real butter - PERFECTION - now that is very dangerous territory and I figured that would really tear up my tummy, as I literally have no stopping mechanism with those. Could eat an entire batch without blinking an eye. :huh:

Also, I seem to have a bit of a binge problem since going gluten-free :ph34r: (my mom pointed out that I always did, just never kept any weight on).....so if I eat LEGAL things like gluten-free donuts or banana bread, or, have them in the house, I should say......there would be no stopping either. So......there will be no donut maker in this house.....no treats....I have literally not bought any gluten-free cookies/cake mixes/donut-y things except once or twice in very beginning.....too much binging would take place, I am sure of it!

AndreaB Contributor
I find it odd that the cheat food were things I make gluten-free and dairy free. I have a little donut maker that is like a waffle iron type thing and I make cherry fried cake donuts. (You can buy the Daisy Donut Factory type things on eBay or a garage sale, I don't think they make them now) Banana muffins are the only other "bread" thing I make and they are gluten-free too. Take care of yourself and feel better.

May I ask the ingredients you use. We are gluten, dairy, soy free plus egg free or egg lite.....haven't tested yet.

paw Apprentice
May I ask the ingredients you use. We are gluten, dairy, soy free plus egg free or egg lite.....haven't tested yet.

I can have eggs, but you might try to replace them and see what happens.

gluten-free Banana Muffins Yield 1 1/2 dozen muffins Bake 350 F. for about 25 minutes

Wet – mix in bowl

3 bananas, soft and ripe

1/2 cup margarine, soft or 1 /2 cup cooking oil

3 eggs

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

3 Tbsp milk (or water) or soy milk

Dry – mix in another bowl

1/2 cup almond flour

2 1/2 cups flour mix of your choice (listed below)

1 Tbsp Xanthan Gum

1 Tbsp baking powder

3/4 tsp baking soda

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup chopped nuts if desired (I skip them)

Heat oven to 350 F. Mash bananas with mixer then add other wet ingredients in order listed. Mix well. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and stir. Mix wet and dry ingredients and stir till flour is completely mixed in. Do not overmix.

Drop batter into muffin cups lined with papers. Batter is very thick. Bake till tops are browned. I have reduced the temp a little (old recipe called for 375 F. for 20 minutes) because they were browning too fast. Bake approx 25 minutes. Muffins were bumpy on top, but they taste good!

Note: If you don’t have Almond flour, use 3 cups of your flour mix. You can throw in 1 Tbsp ground flax seed for fiber and the healthy oils if you want to the flour mix. Store Almond flour and Flax seed in fridge or freezer or they will spoil.

Bette’s Featherlight Rice Flour Mix: (New from gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Bread)

Rice Flour 3 cups

Tapioca flour 3 cups

Cornstarch 3 cups

Potato Flour 3 Tbsp

My flour blend:

Asian White Rice Flour 2 cups

Bob’s Red Mill Brown Rice Flour 1 cup

Tapioca Flour 3 cups

Cornstarch 3 cups

Potato Starch 3 Tbsp

Donut Maker Recipes

gluten-free Recipe Plain Donuts 1/2 Recipe Yield 9

1 egg

1/2 cup sugar

2/3 cup milk

2 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil

1/4 tsp vanilla

1 cup gluten-free flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp cinnamon

Beat eggs. Slowly add sugar. Stir in milk and mix thoroughly.

Add oil and vanilla to mixture. Sift all dry ingredients together and blend into egg mixture. Beat slowly for 30 seconds or until batter is smooth.

If batter thickens, add 2 to 4 tablespoons of water or milk replacement. Batter should always pour easily.

Bake approximately 3 1/2 min.

Flour mix I used:

1/8 cup Almond flour

1/4 cup Buckwheat flour

1 cup Asian White rice flour

1 cup Bob’s Red Mill brown rice flour

Extra flour was saved for another batch in ziplock bag in fridge

The plain donuts were not too exciting. The cherry ones have much more flavor from the juice they come in.

Cherry Donuts Yield 9 ---- We like the Cherry Donuts best

1 egg

1/2 cup sugar

10 chopped maraschino cherries and some juice + some milk (water) replacement to make 2/3 cup

2 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil

1 cup gluten-free flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp salt

Beat eggs. Slowly add sugar. Stir in milk and mix thoroughly.

Add oil and vanilla to mixture. Sift all dry ingredients together and blend into egg mixture. Beat slowly for 30 seconds or until batter is smooth.

If batter thickens, add 2 to 4 tablespoons of water or milk replacement. Batter should always pour easily.

Bake approximately 3 1/2 min.

Flour mix I used:

1/8 cup Almond flour

1/4 cup Buckwheat flour

1 cup Asian White rice flour

1 cup Bob’s Red Mill brown rice flour

Extra flour was saved for another batch in ziplock bag in fridge

Glaze with a little powdered sugar and water and vanilla if desired.

Dingo Girl, that is one reason I have not bought myself a toaster, or baked bread. It also just does not look right when I see gluten-free bread at the store and it is too expensive. I don't want to eat too much of that kind of thing. Since I don't have any, it is easier to say "Bread is BAD!" (It is for me anyway) and just not have bread. I do understand trying to avoid foods you don't want to overeat.

The donuts are made less than once a month and my family helps me eat them so I don't actually get 9 little donuts. They are smaller than the ones made now, so it is not a problem if someone had 2 of them. The banana muffins are often breakfast and they are smaller than the ones you would buy at a coffeehouse or store. I just have one of them in a day and not daily. They freeze well.

I hope you find foods you like and feel better.

AndreaB Contributor

Thanks, I got those copied over.....now to see what hubby thinks. :)

Shalia Apprentice
Okay remember my astonishment at eating the donuts last Monday and having nothing happen? Well...I have a further confession. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: I cheated again, on Tuesday....wanted to test it to the extreme and was in a devil-may-care mood. I wastoo embarassed to tell you all that I cheated TWICE. So on Tues. ate four pieces of banana bread from Trader Joe's. So...that's three donuts on Monday, four pieces of bread on Tuesday. No D.

welllllll.....by Thursday I had MAJOR flatulence, cramping, bloating....and constipation. And Friday....the delayed onslaught. Oh lord. This is TMI but it was the most noxious and toxic D....very painful and awful, for a couple of days. By Saturday night I was doubled over in fetal position, intense pain, bloating and cramping. Realized that for the three days prior, I had the old kicked-in-the-gut feeling, and my poor villi were wounded. Ouch.

I'm all better today, and I will never cheat again. Never. Ironically, the day after the cheating, I got a ltr. from GI's office for followup bloodwork. I am going to delay this - tell them what I did and postpone the test - not sure by how long. How long do you think I should wait to have my numbers return to norrmal?

thanks......

I've done that.

I've cheated twice, and thought one of teh times I was OK. Turns out it was just delayed reaction and I felt lousy for days afterwards.

I really hope you start feeling better, glutening feelings suck. :(

Shalia

casnco Enthusiast

thanks......

When will we believe we are not able to eat gluten. I too purposly glutened myself. I tried one half of an Amstel Light. I didn't finish it because I was not enjoying it and I was concerned about the consequenses. Well, an hour later and my DH cropped up on my arms. Then the gas and D cramps soon followed. It has been 4 weeks and the gas, cramps and D persist. The rash has gone. The brain fog keeps coming and going. I will never do this again. I truly think the worst thing is the Brain fog. Anyone else out there have symptoms this long?

Archived