Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Rice Krispy Treats Recipe ?

25 posts in this topic

Sorry, I know this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the post. I'm looking for a gluten-free, dairy-free rice krispy treats recipe...even chocolate ones would be yummy. :D

TIA !

Ads by Google:

I am only gluten-free so I am not sure about the other issues. In the past I have used Kraft marshmellows, margarine/butter and a gluten-free rice crisp cereal (I cannot remember the name Erewin?). Hopefully, someone who has similar issues can be of more help than me :(

Hez

You can use canola oil instead of butter or margarine. I'm not sure if marshmallow cream is dairy free, but I've melted regular marshmallows in the microwave and it worked fine.

You can use canola oil instead of butter or margarine. I'm not sure if marshmallow cream is dairy free, but I've melted regular marshmallows in the microwave and it worked fine.

Cool - thanks ! :)

Sorry, I know this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the post. I'm looking for a gluten-free, dairy-free rice krispy treats recipe...even chocolate ones would be yummy. :D

TIA !

I always make gluten-free/df rice krispy treats. I use the recipe on the back of the kraft mini marshmallows, along with gluten-free rice krispies and earth balance buttery spread (soy butter)...Mmmm they are awesome!!

I make them just like IrishKelly, as I am gluten and casein free, too. However, I make them that way for others, but for me, use quinoa puffs, as I am allergic to rice. It's a nice change!

Use the standard recipe, but substitute cocoa pebbles for the rice crispies and add 1/2 c. coconut. MMMMMM! :lol:

I dont' have the exact recipe but I know it works if you mix together Erewron (sp?) rice crispies, gluten-free brown rice syrup (Lundberg I believe) and gluten-free/cf chocolate chips. It's yummy if you mix in some other gluten-free cereals too (such as gluten-free corn flakes)

Thanks for all the tips !! I appreciate it. My son's daycare is having a Halloween party, and as a side note, I get a lot of "oh poor baby" from the staff when they ask about his dietary restrictions. :angry: One staff member even commented that some Mary's Gone Crackers I put in his lunchbox "looked like birdseed", so naturally my son won't touch them now. :angry::angry: I'm not going to tell them the goodies are gluten-free/DF until after they've gobbled them all up ! :lol::P

I make them just like IrishKelly, as I am gluten and casein free, too. However, I make them that way for others, but for me, use quinoa puffs, as I am allergic to rice. It's a nice change!

Quinoa is a great alternative, I agree. I've found useful information about it and also recipes in http://quinoa.iuhu.com.ar/

I hope it will be useful.

I am a Rice Krispie ADDICT! I use Kraft marshmallow creme (I believe that's dairy free) and Erewhon rice cereal (remember it: nowhere spelled backwards, from an old sci fi novel).

Super easy - melt the 'mallow creme, once it's warm, fill it up with the rice cereal. Just like my Mom used to make!!!

Anyone else here super-suprised when they learned RICE Krispies had barley malt syrup, making them on our "no-no" list? I sure was!

Montana Julie

I am only gluten-free so I am not sure about the other issues. In the past I have used Kraft marshmellows, margarine/butter and a gluten-free rice crisp cereal (I cannot remember the name Erewin?). Hopefully, someone who has similar issues can be of more help than me :(

Hez

Here's how I make this - we call them "Scotcheroo's"

In pan bring to boil 1 heaping cup of corn syrup

and 1 heaping cup of sugar - keep stirring until it comes to a boil so it doesn't scortch

Once it's come to a boil, put in one heaping cup of peanut butter

Pour this over a heaping 6 cups (I usually use more than 6 cups - probably more like 7) of the gluten free rice krispies.

Pour into a cake pan (I grease the pan up with butter to keep from sticking)

Then to top it, I melt approximately 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of butterscotch chips. Melt in a double boiler and spread over rice krispie mixture.

This works really well because this was my son's favorite treat. Nice to be able to make it gluten free.

I don't do very well with exact measuring...I like them a little more gooey so usually have a little more of the corn syrup/sugar/peanut butter mixture.

Then to top it, I melt approximately 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of butterscotch chips. Melt in a double boiler and spread over rice krispie mixture.

Be very careful, most of the butterscotch chips I have seen have barley in them. I know for sure that Nestle Toll House brand butterscotch are NOT safe.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Hershey's don't have any no-no ingredients listed, and they are one of the companies that always lists . . . I think they are, anyway :blink:

Hershey's don't have any no-no ingredients listed, and they are one of the companies that always lists . . . I think they are, anyway :blink:

Hershey's has dairy in them, from what I remember. :(

In pan bring to boil 1 heaping cup of corn syrup

and 1 heaping cup of sugar - keep stirring until it comes to a boil so it doesn't scortch

Once it's come to a boil, put in one heaping cup of peanut butter

Pour this over a heaping 6 cups (I usually use more than 6 cups - probably more like 7) of the gluten free rice krispies.

Pour into a cake pan (I grease the pan up with butter to keep from sticking)

This works really well because this was my son's favorite treat. Nice to be able to make it gluten free.

I don't do very well with exact measuring...I like them a little more gooey so usually have a little more of the corn syrup/sugar/peanut butter mixture.

These sound decadent!

TIA !

Date Nut Rice Crisp Bars

½ c honey

½ peanut butter

1/3 c packed brown sugar

3 c gluten-free rice cereal

1 c chopped dates

½ c toasted raw peanuts

2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Grease 13 x 9 cake pan

Into a saucepan put honey, peanut butter and sugar to boil on medium heat. Stir for 2 minutes.

Add cereal, dates, peanuts and stir. Press into pan and add seeds.

Cut into bars or squares.

Tip: Peanuts and seeds are toasted separately in skillet over med heat for 3-5 mins. Shake and turn until golden.

Hershey's has dairy in them, from what I remember. :(

I think you're right. Sorry . . . I forgot about the dairy free for a minute. :(

Thanks for the info on the butterscotch chips! I thought that they were on the listing of things that our dietician gave me that my son could eat. He doesn't have any dairy allergies so that isn't a problem. But I'll definitely do some checking. You can always just leave the chocolate off the top too...I make them that way once in a while cuz we really don't need the added calories and I actually like them better that way.

I'm still pretty new at all this - my trips to the grocery store has turned into all day events it seems like cuz I read every label.......

Just keep hoping that the more people that are diagnosed with Celiac's the more stores and restaurants will be wanting to cater to US!!!!!!!

As always - everyone is great on this board! Love going out to read it for support and information.

I think you're right. Sorry . . . I forgot about the dairy free for a minute. :(

No worries. :) gluten-free/DF is a pretty tall order - even I forget sometimes. :lol:

I wonder how they'd taste if I took gluten-free rice cereal, added some shredded coconut, and then topped the mixture with Enjoy Life chocolate chips ? Kind of a mixture between the coconut suggestion and the "Scotcheroo" suggestion. Thoughts ? I'm not used to experimenting with recipes, so I'm a tad gun-shy - especially when I'm making stuff for other people. If it was just me I could care less, lol. If it was gross I'd just toss it out and not think twice about it.

Anything with that much sugar and chocolate is bound to taste great!!

Anything with that much sugar and chocolate is bound to taste great!!

:lol:

That's what I figured !!

Can you believe I've never made rice krispy treats before ?? :) I was surprised at how quickly they went together. I decided not to do the coconut and instead just melted some Enjoy Life chocolate chips and topped the treats with that. They came out good, though I think they needed a little more marshmallow than the recipe called for.

Thanks so much for the help everyone !

BTW - I packed one separately in Ryan's lunchbox to hopefully reduce the chances of him getting glutened. Another parent also made rice krispy treats for some odd reason, even though I signed up for them - so I specifically told the daycare to ONLY let him have the ones I made (which were probably better anyway :P ).