This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Spleen Inflammation With Accidental Gluten?

beelzebubble

beelzebubble Contributor

i've noticed that when i accidentally ingest gluten i get a tenderness on my left side right where my spleen should be. do you think it's possible that gluten could cause my spleen to become irritated? i know that it's part of your immune system...

any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seeking-wholeness Explorer

It could be.... I think the spleen and the stomach lie at about the same level, though, so it could be stomach discomfort you're feeling. I don't really know. I'm not even sure, actually, whether the spleen lies in front of or behind the stomach, although I am inclined to place it in front, just behind the ribs. That's a fascinating question you've asked!

natalieb Rookie

Hi, I read your comment about the spleen and it was like you described my exact pain. For seven years prior to being diagnosed with celiac disease I suffered from that pain and it can be gnawing. It is in the upper left quadrant. I believe that what you are feeling is your duodenum. Behing your duodenum is your spleen(I believe). Your stomach opens into your duodenum and my doc told me it can get inflamed. I was always told that I had duodenitis when having an endoscopy. The pain is out of this world when I ingest gluten. My old general physician told me 7 years ago when I complained of that pain that most "depressed" women get a pain in their upper left quadrant. What a crock! If I only knew then what I know now. I do get that pain and I understand 100%. Oh, sometimes, it also goes around the side and back, does yours? It always is on the left though.

RJARED Newbie

I recently started having pain in my left side and going around to my back. Happens a few inches above my waist - I'm high-waisted. Seems to happen if I accidentally eat gluten. I thought it was a pulled muscle, but not reason for it. It had occured to me that it might be my spleen, but your question made me think about it again. Interesting....

beelzebubble Contributor

i'm glad that other people have had similar things. as far as whether or not it is my duodenum, i don't think so. it's a little too low. i have that too from time to time, when i get glutenized (heh), this is slightly lower and slightly to the left of that pain. i thought for a while that i might have a cracked rib or something, if that helps you understand where the pain is. it does wrap around, but not all the way to the back.

• 5 years later...
0GlutenGirl Newbie

I have been wondering if the pain in my side is related to gluten intolerance. I have been gluten free for just over two months and my health is much improved. However, I often get a pain on my left side above my waist. When it is bad, it circles around the left side of my back. It can be extremely painful. The odd thing is, once I eat a substantial meal it always gets better. If I allow myself to go without food, I feel the pain starting, and it will get worse until I eat. I know I am not the only one who gets this pain because others are reporting the same type of pain in the same place. I would think spleen because of where the pain is, but why does it go away when I eat? I will make an appointment with my doctor. Thank you for sharing your experiences. This is very helpful for me.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I have been wondering if the pain in my side is related to gluten intolerance. I have been gluten free for just over two months and my health is much improved. However, I often get a pain on my left side above my waist. When it is bad, it circles around the left side of my back. It can be extremely painful. The odd thing is, once I eat a substantial meal it always gets better. If I allow myself to go without food, I feel the pain starting, and it will get worse until I eat. I know I am not the only one who gets this pain because others are reporting the same type of pain in the same place. I would think spleen because of where the pain is, but why does it go away when I eat? I will make an appointment with my doctor. Thank you for sharing your experiences. This is very helpful for me.

If the pain goes away when you eat I wonder if it is stomach pain from perhaps excess acid with no food to digest. Have you tried eating more frequently with smaller meals?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

It's worth remembering that the abdomen is badly innervated and where you feel the pain may not be where it's coming from. Think about heart attacks - you feel the pain down your arm or in your jaw.

Archived