21 replies to this topic

#16 dlp252

dlp252

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:12 AM

I've always suspected I had a thyroid problem, but could never get any doctor to run any of the tests other than TSH which always comes back normal. I have several of the "classic" symptoms (which can really apply to other things too though). I'm seeing a new group of doctors who suspect adrenal fatigue and I know they're sometimes linked. I bet they'd check for me. My last blood test was in February as part of my annual exam...iron came back normal then, but I'm even MORE fatigued than I was then, so maybe they should recheck that too.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

What doctors should do and what they do, do are two different things.

I cut the nails last night on these hands, even with my finger tip. This morning the little nail that is left is alreayd curling down. For awhile my ridges were gone but now they are back, and they are huge.

As for fatigue I am very fatigued lately. I am a person who is used to being up at 0330 and now this morning I was in bed till 1100. I am so tired and exhausted. I think they need to put me back on the synthroid.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#18 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:36 PM

Rusla, Lots of people don't do well on Synthroid and need natural Armour. Try www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for info re that. I take Armour myself and its absolutely magic. But you do need a Dr that understands how to dose it.

Re your B12. You may need another blood test to determine levels. I found the sublinguals only work a little and still need the jabs as well. Do you understand that you can get neuro damage if you neglect your B12. Do you get pins and needles in hands and feet ?

I know its not fun to take meds but being sick is worse. You do what you have to do.

Donna, Sounds you already have your answer. Most people seem to have an instinct re their own health. Please do your research into Thyroid. Mary Shonan books, Broda Barnes,Jeffries. For a website - www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Join the forums and post questions. Those girls saved my life. You need Free T4, Free T3 and Antibodies tested. TSH is a useless test.

I've always suspected I had a thyroid problem, but could never get any doctor to run any of the tests other than TSH which always comes back normal. I have several of the "classic" symptoms (which can really apply to other things too though). I'm seeing a new group of doctors who suspect adrenal fatigue and I know they're sometimes linked. I bet they'd check for me

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#19 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:23 AM

TSH is a useless test.

Georgie, everything you say makes sense to me except for this--I was diagnosed via symptoms, and tests, including the TSH, and we found the right dosage via the TSH--and I felt so MUCH better for 15 years, how could it be useless?

Is it possible that there's a large subset, maybe of celiacs, or maybe we all have something else in common as yet undiscovered, who don't do well on synthroid and need armour and the additional tests?

I think the problem is, there are enough people who DO do well on synthroid to fool the doctors into thinking it works for everybody--and obviously, it doesn't.

#20 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:08 PM

Donna, Sounds you already have your answer. Most people seem to have an instinct re their own health. Please do your research into Thyroid. Mary Shonan books, Broda Barnes,Jeffries. For a website - www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Join the forums and post questions. Those girls saved my life. You need Free T4, Free T3 and Antibodies tested. TSH is a useless test.

I've been over to that website but haven't posted yet...I have to read some more though. Thanks for the info.

#21 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:29 PM

Fiddle-Faddle - You are one of the lucky ones. TSH can vary so much from day to day , month to month that very often a dx is missed 'cos of that. Also you can have secondary Hypo where the TSH doesn't move at all. The test 'can' work ...but it also very often doesn't. The test throws too many false negatives. Also the lab ranges are set too high, or are being changed but your lab or Dr may not be aware of the new range. And you can have an Autoimmune Thyroid with Antibodies and still show a normal TSH. Once you have got an autoimmune disease you can get others... Celiac is autoimmune .. so autoimmune Thyroid can happen for us Celiacs. So you need to be tested for Thyroid Antibodies as well as TSH and the FreeT4, Free T3.

Synthroid 'can' work for some folks. It can work , or work for a while and then fail too. Lots use it and get 80% better. Lots use it and get 80% worse! Its important to be aware that there is another choice re medications for Thyroid, and that if your Thyroid SYMPTOMS do not go away - that you may need the alternative med. And be aware that health issues like Osteoporous, cholesterol, sinus infections, hypoglycemia/pre diabetes, high blood pressure etc etc may also be low Thyroid symptoms. So you may be on Synthroid and think you are doing OK but - perhaps you are not ....

Georgie, everything you say makes sense to me except for this--I was diagnosed via symptoms, and tests, including the TSH, and we found the right dosage via the TSH--and I felt so MUCH better for 15 years, how could it be useless?

You are welcome Donna. Hope it helps you like it did me. Saved my life this year.I have been ill for near 30 years and had been told various things but nothing made sense until I read that site. PM me if you need extra help.

I've been over to that website but haven't posted yet...I have to read some more though. Thanks for the info.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#22 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:20 AM

Spooning appears to be concave, like a spoon. I couldn't find a picture though. Clubbing looks like they start to thinken or curve under about mid-nail: Pictures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: