This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are Smarties gluten-free?

TriticusToxicum

pinky Apprentice

the chocolate kind of smarties have gluten. if you read the ingredients, wheat flour is in them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SarahTorg Apprentice

haha, I came on, to ask the same question!

These smarties are indeed the sugary tablet, but they do say made in canada. So, are they gluten free?

uuugh. this whole thing is frustrating for the kids. Poor things.

georgie Enthusiast
Australian Smarties are like M&M's. Chocolate in the middle and a think layer or colored candy on the outside

and they have Gluten :(

Nantzie Collaborator

I'm coming in late to this thread, but the thought that US Smarties might be gluten-free has made my day. I used to be practically addicted to them. Anything white and powdery seems suspect to me now, so I never even thought to look at the ingredients. <_< I figured that the addiction aspect was an allergen addiction type thing.

Okay, had to do the research thing. All US Smarties products are gluten-free. They resell them to repackagers who may have items that are not gluten-free, thus making the gluten-free status questionable, but any Smarties products with the UPC starting with 0 11206 is gluten-free and manufactured in a gluten-free facility.

Open Original Shared Link

Off to raid my kids' pumpkins... Bwahahhahahaaaaa!!!!

Nancy

debmidge Rising Star

The USA Smarties gives me the impression of what a "placebo" (fake medicine pill) would look like or those little pills you used to get in your childhood "nurse or doctor" kit toy.

jerseyangel Proficient
those little pills you used to get in your childhood "nurse or doctor" kit toy.

Yes!! Exactly like the kind I remember being in there :D

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Smarties in Canada are not gluten free, just like the Lea and Pearins worchester sauce :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Carrie, U.S. smarties are Canadian Rockets.

penguin Community Regular

I puffy heart American Smarties <3 :wub:

I also puffy hearted the Canadian/British Smarties, but alas, our relationship is over. They went the way of the twiglet for me, stupid gluten :(

Great, now I have to go buy some of those yummy placebos :P

Do they have pixie stix in Canada? Because smarties are kind of like pixie stix pressed into a tablet

Archived