This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Xmas Cake Recepies

taz sharratt

taz sharratt Enthusiast

looking for a really nice xmas cake recepie, ive bought 1 from tesco but i have to say its not all that. so im gonna brave bloweing up the kitchen and have a go. any tips anyone has would be really appreciated. cheers :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFBetsy Rookie

What do you mean by Christmas cake? Fruitcake? or just a spicy "make the whole house smell like Christmas-time" sort of cake?

taz sharratt Enthusiast
What do you mean by Christmas cake? Fruitcake? or just a spicy "make the whole house smell like Christmas-time" sort of cake?

a really rich - moist fruit cake that is suitable for xmas. the kind that nanny used to make that you just cant buy in the shops, my nanny passed her recepie on to me but of course i cant eat it now or make the darn thing without etting ill. the kind that you have to mature for a little time as it maked it taiste better. i want one that the whole family can eat and they wont know the diff, i dont wanna be ill again after trying to make my familys xmas cake this year.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

This looks yummy!! Open Original Shared Link

taz sharratt Enthusiast

wow! good on you girl.

georgie Enthusiast

Yes. Has anyone got a Xmas cake recipe and a Xmas pudding recipe ?How do you substitute gluten-free flour for normal flour in a normal recipe ?

daffadilly Apprentice

Here are some substitutions for 1 cup of wheat flour from Carol Fenster's "Special Diet Solutions" if you could only buy one cookbook, I would recommend this one - it has all the basics.

1 cup Corn Flour

3/4 Cup Cornmeal

3/4 cup Cornstarch

3/4 Cup Chickpea Flour - garbanza beans

7/8 Cup chickpea & Fava Bean Flour from Authentic foods (if recipe is 1 cup or less use 1:1 ratio)

1/2 Cup nuts ground fine (see note)

3/4 Cup Potato Starch

7/8 Cup rice flour - brown or white

1/2 Cup Soy flour plus 1/2 cup potato starch flour

7/8 cup sweet rice flour

1 cup tapioca flour

but remember that a combination of the above flours works best, also each flour has it own characteristics.

not listed is sorghum flour, which I have been wanting to try.

I like a combination of tapioca, potato, soy, & corn flour & depending on what you are baking almond flour.

If you can have all those flours, I cannot do potato flour...

I just used tapioca, almond & corn flour in come chocolate chip cookies, they were good, but there was a chalky taste from too much tapioca flour

note: on the nut flour, I have not found that to hold true it is more a one to one ratio I think & then you have to be careful about the extra oil from the nuts.

in conversions don't forget to increase the baking powder or baking soda & maybe an extra egg in place of part of the liquid.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFBetsy Rookie

taz -

I'd take the recipe you know you like and use Bette Hagman's Featherlight mix to replace the flour. Add about 1/2 to 1 tsp. of xanthan gum per cup of flour mix.

Try making one right now so you are certain of how it works before the holidays get here.

Good luck!

clbevilacqua Explorer

This looks good, but the recipe calls for raisins, currants and sultanas-I thought they were all the same thing more or less and have always used raisins in a recipe regardless of what of these 3 it calls for. Guess I learned a new one. But I don't think that there is anywhere around me that I can even get sultanas or even find anyone who knows what they are (what are they anyway??)

HawkFire Explorer

Recipe # 1

Bake kinnikinnick chocolate cake according to recipe, but add 1tbs of peppermint extract.

Melt blocks of gluten-free chocolate.

Pour over top of cooled cake.

Use a hammer to break up bits of candy cane.

Sprinkle broken candy cane bits on top of cooling chocolate so that they will stick.

Put sprigs of mint leaves in center of cake like a little bouquet.

Recipe #2

Melt your favorite chocolate.... cool slightly.

Spread into pan lined with wax paper.

Hammer candy canes or those round candy cane looking mints.

Sprinkle candy cane bits onto slightly cooled chocolate.

You can give this as a gift, or break it into bite sized pieces and serve on a decorative plate to your guests.

Use red and white candy as well as the green and white mints for extra color.

This is that "Chocolate Bark" people love.

HawkFire Explorer

Christmas is my favorite time of year. I love cooking for the holidays. I would like to add that if you put orange flavored extract into the K brand of chocolate cake, you would not believe how good it is. I made this for my husband's mother's birthday. I added melted white chocolate on top and shaved chocolate as a decorative top. It would work for a christmas cake.

sparkles Contributor

My mom used to make a fruit cake like that. Only she made it right after Xmas and "fed" it brandy (aprocot, as I recall) for the next 12 months. It was really good. she kept it in the fridge downstairs...until it was really "ready" for xmas day!!!!!

When you said "fed" in your recipe, you were talking about filling the hole with brandy.... or do you "feed" it something else?

Archived