This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

***what Problems Did You Have After Having Mono?****

azmom3

azmom3 Contributor

My 8 year old had mono this past spring, then my 10 year old son got it shortly after that. It seems like it's been one problem after another ever since and neither seems like they've fully recovered. I'm curious to see what others have gone through.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nadtorious Rookie

I had mono in high school and my celiac symptoms developed shortly after recovery. I guess you could say I haven't been the same since :unsure:

sparkles Contributor

I had mono my first year of teaching. I was 21. It took a good year before I really felt better. I caught everything that was going around which is a lot when you are surrounded by 30+ kids every day. I was also exhausted and tired for a really long time. Regardless of what the docs say, I think it takes a really long time for the immune system to get back to being able to fight off diseases. Rest is important.... as is keeping to a regular schedule of sleep, activity, and eating. I know that is hard to do with kids but it is really important. The body needs to heal. I think that it takes sometimes over a year for the body to get back to normal.... just my observation from what I have seen of others who have had the disease and my own experience. Good luck.

Michi8 Contributor

Recovery time really depends on how severe the mono symptoms are, and how old you are when you have it. It went through our school last spring, and the really young kids who got it exhibited no more than cold symptoms. My 8 year old caught it and ended up with severe tonsilitis (had to go to emergency for treatment, because of worry about obstructed airway) and a swollen spleen. He never did experience exhaustion though. It took a couple of months for his spleen to return to normal. He's not experiencing any obvious symptoms now, except he is continuing with his constipation issues and is about as lethargic and moody as he was pre-mono. Those health issues aren't normal of course, but they don't seem to have been made worse since having mono.

Michelle

georgie Enthusiast

Azmom3, I remembered you from the other Thyroid thread. Is there a history of autoimmune Thyroid in your family ? Hashis Thyroid is genetic. And repeated infections and fatigue etc - 'can' be a Hypo symptom. I had mono too when 21. But it was my poor Thyroid function that kept me ill with 'CFS' for the next 25 years. All those years I blamed the mono when in fact the poor recovery was just a symptom of something else. Just a thought.

Nantzie Collaborator

My GI symptoms started after having mono when I was 17. I was basically never the same after that. I had "IBS" :rolleyes: , I was absolutely exhausted, never completed even a semester of college. It was awful. And I had no answers up until finding out about gluten a year ago. We have had discussions about mono here before, which you can do a search for if you want. Basically though, it seems to be a common trigger for celiac. You didn't mention if your kids already had celiac before the mono, but if they did, with mono on top of it, it totally makes sense that it's just going to take a while for them to feel better.

I did hear at one point that the virus that causes mono (Epstein-Barr Virus) can actually stay in your system for years, which is what I wrote off some of my lingering exhaustion as.

Nancy

eleep Enthusiast

I had mono my sophomore year in college and never quite got over the exhaustion and fatigue -- I know now that was the onset of my celiac symptoms.

eleep

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

azmom3 Contributor
My GI symptoms started after having mono when I was 17. I was basically never the same after that. I had "IBS" :rolleyes: , I was absolutely exhausted, never completed even a semester of college. It was awful. And I had no answers up until finding out about gluten a year ago. We have had discussions about mono here before, which you can do a search for if you want. Basically though, it seems to be a common trigger for celiac. You didn't mention if your kids already had celiac before the mono, but if they did, with mono on top of it, it totally makes sense that it's just going to take a while for them to feel better.

I did hear at one point that the virus that causes mono (Epstein-Barr Virus) can actually stay in your system for years, which is what I wrote off some of my lingering exhaustion as.

Nancy

The funny thing is that I don't think either of them have celiac. Our baby (well he's 2, now), is what brought us to this site as he's suspected of celiac and/or eosinophilic esophagitis. Our 10 year old tested negative for celiac, although I still suspect this as a possibility. I know it's possible, but I'd be very surprised if our daughter had it. If we find out for sure the baby has it, we will have our daughter tested also. We are retesting our son via blood here shortly, so I'm avoiding gluten-free stuff until then for him. So far, blood has shown me and our oldest son to be negative and the baby's had elevated IgG, but the others were normal. Biopsies for both celiac and EE are end of November for the baby. I thought I heard that the Epstein-Barr Virus stays in your system forever once you have it, but that usually your symptoms go away after anywhere from a few weeks to a couple years. I also heard that a large percentage of people get it (I want to say it was 85% or so....really high anyways), but that many people never even knew they had it. I wonder why some people get affected really bad and others have no idea they had it. Anyways thanks for your post.

Michi8 Contributor
The funny thing is that I don't think either of them have celiac. Our baby (well he's 2, now), is what brought us to this site as he's suspected of celiac and/or eosinophilic esophagitis. Our 10 year old tested negative for celiac, although I still suspect this as a possibility. I know it's possible, but I'd be very surprised if our daughter had it. If we find out for sure the baby has it, we will have our daughter tested also. We are retesting our son via blood here shortly, so I'm avoiding gluten-free stuff until then for him. So far, blood has shown me and our oldest son to be negative and the baby's had elevated IgG, but the others were normal. Biopsies for both celiac and EE are end of November for the baby. I thought I heard that the Epstein-Barr Virus stays in your system forever once you have it, but that usually your symptoms go away after anywhere from a few weeks to a couple years. I also heard that a large percentage of people get it (I want to say it was 85% or so....really high anyways), but that many people never even knew they had it. I wonder why some people get affected really bad and others have no idea they had it. Anyways thanks for your post.

A lot of people carry Epstein Barr virus and never develop mono at all. According to the CDC, up to 95% of US adults between 35 and 40 have been infected.

Michelle

azmom3 Contributor
Azmom3, I remembered you from the other Thyroid thread. Is there a history of autoimmune Thyroid in your family ? Hashis Thyroid is genetic. And repeated infections and fatigue etc - 'can' be a Hypo symptom. I had mono too when 21. But it was my poor Thyroid function that kept me ill with 'CFS' for the next 25 years. All those years I blamed the mono when in fact the poor recovery was just a symptom of something else. Just a thought.

We have no history of autoimmune Thyroid in my family. Looking back though, I remember my mom always trying to get a nap in in the middle of the day whenever she could, and always looking exhausted (she raised 9 kids though, 3 of which had cystic fibrosis...so I always blamed her fatigue on all she had to deal with). She comes from a family of 5 girls, all who are probably considered obese...not sure how much the weight plays into everything.... So is it a routine test to check the thyroid...was that you that gave me a list on the other thread? I'm not sure if there are different tests for different things or what exactly I should be telling or asking my doctor. Thanks so much for your help! :)

georgie Enthusiast

Azmom3, Most Drs only do TSH test. But you need Antibodies for Thyroid tested. The Free T3, and Free T4 would be handy too. And be aware that about 10% of people get a false negative to the Thyroid Antibody test. Obesity can be a symptom. Sometimes the symptoms are mild and just feel like a sort of brain fog, and perpetual tiredness. You certainly don't need to have the classic 'dry hair falling out' as many Drs think. Feeling cold all the time can be a good indicator and if you basal temp sits way below normal you should check with your Dr.

lorka150 Collaborator

i had mono when i was in grade eleven and had it so horribly bad. i was in the hospital, taking percocet, on steroids (for swelling in my throat, as it started to close), and missed three months of school. i never felt normal again - lo and behold, celiac arrived.

Archived