This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

***could My Son Be Allergic To His Diapers?

azmom3

Simply-V Newbie

Zyrtec does have a stronger antihistamine than the Benadryl. However with both, ready to purchase options have some corn in them. If your son has less hives off of the Zyrtec, then you may want to seek out other options such as compounding.

All the issues I've heard so far can be caused by food allergens, and there are many many more babies being born with food allergies today.

Have you kept a food diary (including brand names, some brands have different additive sources than others) keeping track of what he eats when, and when he reacts.. including anything you notice such as wanting a lot to eat, or eating nothing, rashes, bad bowels, good bowels, sleeping a lot, or barely sleeping, attitude, mood. etc. ? Favorite foods and foods he hates, etc?

This may help you track down possible sources for problems. If you absolutely can't seem to find the source, please look into corn as it is literally everywhere and a common missed allergen because of it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

azmom3 Contributor
Zyrtec does have a stronger antihistamine than the Benadryl. However with both, ready to purchase options have some corn in them. If your son has less hives off of the Zyrtec, then you may want to seek out other options such as compounding.

All the issues I've heard so far can be caused by food allergens, and there are many many more babies being born with food allergies today.

Have you kept a food diary (including brand names, some brands have different additive sources than others) keeping track of what he eats when, and when he reacts.. including anything you notice such as wanting a lot to eat, or eating nothing, rashes, bad bowels, good bowels, sleeping a lot, or barely sleeping, attitude, mood. etc. ? Favorite foods and foods he hates, etc?

This may help you track down possible sources for problems. If you absolutely can't seem to find the source, please look into corn as it is literally everywhere and a common missed allergen because of it.

His skin test did show him allergic to corn, but the number was very low(5). I will absolutely look into this more. Right now, we are watching for any reactions and keeping a food diary tracking what he eats, how much/calories, how much and what he drinks, what time and how much meds, poop/pee and everything about it....volume, consistency, etc and what time, rashes/hives, sleep, and attitude. I have not gone as far as brands, but will add this when I can. I have 3 children all with different problems and meds and I am having a very difficult time getting them all what they need when they need it, so I'm prioritizing and making sure I'm doing all the big things right and then adding the others as I am able. Literally, I am comsumed from early morning to late evening with all of this, while trying to get my own health under better control, too. My husband's been doing the shopping at night because I just can't do it all. I know it'll get easier, but I'm just taking it one step at a time so I don't make a huge mistake, like give the wrong meds or wrong amounts to the wrong kid. :o

Also, we are doing teh endoscopy the end of November for celiac and eosinophilic disorders, so I need to keep him on gluten and I'm not sure about the allergens. We've taken all the biggies out, but the allergy dr. said we can keep the corn as well as a couple others in for right now....not sure if taking everything out would ruin the test??? He may just be waiting to talk with our GI dr. I'm not sure, but honestly, I feel ok with it right now. Hunter has been a different person the last two days. He has not been the least bit clingy or irritable and I don't think we've ever had back to back days like this since he was born. It's so nice to see him laughing and playing like a normal kid. He even fell today, trying to walk on a curb and hurt his foot. He's limping around and will cry if he takes more than a few steps, but he still seems much less "needy" than he's been almost his entire life. Maybe taking the milk, eggs, nuts out has helped a lot or maybe it's just a coincidence??? Either way, I'll take it! :P

tarnalberry Community Regular

I don't know about the diapers specifically, though I'm certain you can be allergic or have skin reactions to certain brands, I would *not* continue exposing him to known allergens even while on antihistamines. It's just going to make the situation worse.

Simply-V Newbie
I have 3 children all with different problems and meds and I am having a very difficult time getting them all what they need when they need it, so I'm prioritizing and making sure I'm doing all the big things right and then adding the others as I am able. Literally, I am comsumed from early morning to late evening with all of this, while trying to get my own health under better control, too.

I know this stuff can just consume us, let alone having 3 kids on top it. There is another woman on Delphi-Avoiding Corn who has 3 children as well, and her youngest she hasn't figured out all the allergy issues either. She was just today sounding off about all the stress. I honestly don't know how you two do it.

Things will get easier as you get answers to what the real problems are. The food diary will help and adding brands as you know them will help. Do as much as you can without wearing yourself out. You're not going to be any good for your kids if you are all worn out.

I'm glad to hear that Hunter is going better. Taking out allergens is going to help a lot. Though be aware that this will last for a little bit (probably a week or two), then he'll probably take a turn for the worse (or it will seem that way) until you remove all allergens from his diet. Though enjoy the breaks along the way.

if they're doing any celiac testing, then he needs to probably stay on gluten until the test. It is possible that all this is allergy and not gluten, but who knows. As far as the eosinophilic disorders, well I wouldn't keep him on any allergens just for that testing. Do what you're doing now and try to take out as many allergens as you can or as you see is needed (aka he takes a turn for the worse).

There's a learning curve with these things and at first it seems way hard, but as you get used to it, it gets easier to cope.

Wish you the best,

V

azmom3 Contributor
I know this stuff can just consume us, let alone having 3 kids on top it. There is another woman on Delphi-Avoiding Corn who has 3 children as well, and her youngest she hasn't figured out all the allergy issues either. She was just today sounding off about all the stress. I honestly don't know how you two do it.

Things will get easier as you get answers to what the real problems are. The food diary will help and adding brands as you know them will help. Do as much as you can without wearing yourself out. You're not going to be any good for your kids if you are all worn out.

I'm glad to hear that Hunter is going better. Taking out allergens is going to help a lot. Though be aware that this will last for a little bit (probably a week or two), then he'll probably take a turn for the worse (or it will seem that way) until you remove all allergens from his diet. Though enjoy the breaks along the way.

if they're doing any celiac testing, then he needs to probably stay on gluten until the test. It is possible that all this is allergy and not gluten, but who knows. As far as the eosinophilic disorders, well I wouldn't keep him on any allergens just for that testing. Do what you're doing now and try to take out as many allergens as you can or as you see is needed (aka he takes a turn for the worse).

There's a learning curve with these things and at first it seems way hard, but as you get used to it, it gets easier to cope.

Wish you the best,

V

Thanks!

kbtoyssni Contributor
We tried a couple different brands of diapers, but I could not find chlorine free ones...where do I get these and are they clearly labeled as such...is there a specific brand/type that I should be looking for?

The ones I saw were at the Fresh and Natural Food store where I get all my specialty gluten-free products. I have no idea what brand they were, but they came in a green package. I bet you could find them in an organic/natural type store.

azmom3 Contributor
The ones I saw were at the Fresh and Natural Food store where I get all my specialty gluten-free products. I have no idea what brand they were, but they came in a green package. I bet you could find them in an organic/natural type store.

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Some skin is very sensitive. I used to get that when I was a baby...certain detergents would do that to me too.

fullofhope Newbie

My son is allergic to the chlorine in regular diapers. We did cloth, but finally found out what it was and use the Tender Care or Seventh Generation disposable diapers, which are unbleached.

Archived