Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Headaches In Celiac Patients

29 posts in this topic

I tend to get a bad headache (or migraine) a few times a month. At this point, going gluten-free is really BAD for my headaches since I've had one for 2 weeks (with a day or so off in the middle). I have been gluten-free for 3 weeks. I am REALLY looking forward getting through this gluten withdrawl. Ugh.

Ads by Google:

Hi everyone, since I'm new here, can anyone tell me if headaches are a common symptom? I've been treated for migraines and tension headaches for years and was diagnosed with Celiac disease on September 1st. Thanks for the input.

Jebus

Hey Jebus, headaches were THE only symptom I experienced.  Well, one of 2.  The other was very infrequent vomiting and D episodes that would happen once every year or 2 when I ate too much buttery food.  I was convinced it was a gallbladder issue, but my doctor wanted to test for celiac also.  Turned out I had it.  Now a month into the gluten free diet, my headaches are definitely improving.  Still having them, but on average they are shorter, less intense, and there are more days where I don't have them.  Hoping it continues to improve!

Hey Jebus, headaches were THE only symptom I experienced.  Well, one of 2.  The other was very infrequent vomiting and D episodes that would happen once every year or 2 when I ate too much buttery food.  I was convinced it was a gallbladder issue, but my doctor wanted to test for celiac also.  Turned out I had it.  Now a month into the gluten free diet, my headaches are definitely improving.  Still having them, but on average they are shorter, less intense, and there are more days where I don't have them.  Hoping it continues to improve!

Just an FYI - This thread is 7 years old.  Jebus hasn't been active since 2006.

I almost never had headaches until a few years ago. Then just a bit after noticing what we thought was lactose intolerance, the headaches started. After my Celiac dx last year and going gluten-free, in a few months, the headaches stopped.