28 replies to this topic

#16 georgie

georgie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:25 PM

I have been gluten-free for 4 months and still have the headaches. So ...another reason ? I think they are a bit better but I still get the daily dull pain type. When I was glutened last month I got a migraine the next day. I normally only get 2 migraines a year so I thought that was significient.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Rebecca47

Rebecca47

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:17 PM

Heres my 2 cents worth, I have been having migraines for about 20 yrs and I thought it was because of weather change etc., I used to wish that I could just rip out my eye and I would feel better. The sick stomach , turn all the lights off close my eyes only helped so much. They would last anywhere from 1 day to 3 days. I have been gluten free for 3.5 months and not one migraine, knock on wood. I used to get them at least once or twice a month. I love it

Rebecca :D
[font=Comic Sans MS]Diagnosed Celiac Sprue Disease August, 02, 2006
Blood test, No Biopsy
IgA off the scale 44 now 3
IgG 56
(tTG) IgA 25 now 2
(tTG) IgG 1 now 1
now border line low iron 10

Gluten Free since August, 02, 2007
Diagnosed with Osteoporosis November 2006
As of Jan 2007 all numbers looking good

As of Feb 2007 no more Pork, having Allergic reactions
Lactose Intolerence

#18 mandyann

mandyann

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:34 PM

I too have had headaches for at least 20 years and have recently gone gluten free. My headaches have persisted but are getting better. The one other big trigger for me I'm finding is chocolate . Now that gluten is not a factor it seems that it's easier to pin point the other triggers or sensitivities.
Gluten Free Since 10/06

#19 owka4u

owka4u

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:11 PM

Hi,

I started getting the headaches in my 30's long before I was diagnosed with celiac. I went through 2 nasoplasty surgeries thinking they were sinus related. The headaches got progressively worse over the years and would last 3 days and I would be noushsous as well. My doctors tried Imitrix but the only thing that helped was Demerol and it only helped the first day then the headache was right back. Finally I went to an Urgent Care clinic with a full blown headache with nausea to get a shot of Demerol and a doctor who normally headed a pain clinic asked if he could try something else which had to administered by IV drip at first. I said yes thinking it probably would not work. But after about a half an hour, I walked out with no headache or nausea.

The medication is DHE 45 and the generic is Dihydroergotamine Mesylate Injection, USP. It has to be injected inter-muscular in the thigh at the onset of the headache, but it is the only thing that has worked for me.

I was not diagnosed with celiac until being treated for Hepatitis C which caused the celiac to become full blown and put me in the hospital. After this I had some really bad episodes of headaches; the worse lasting for about 15 days. It was a very stressful time in my life and occurred in the months of June and July, so I think it was a mixture of allergies and celiac aggregated by stress. Usually at their worse the headaches came once or twice a month. At the time I had a job where I could take time off without pay or use vacation time or I would have been let go.

When that job left the state, I finally had to apply for disability and the judge was amazed I was able to work as long as i did. The headaches have gotten less frequent with age and strict dieting, but I still get them. If I take the shot as soon as I feel a headache coming on, it will stop it after a couple of hours and the next day it will be gone.

If you have high blood pressure you may not be able to use this medication. I hope this information helps.

#20 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:42 PM

I've been gluten-free for about 2 months. I still get headaches, but not as often. I've had maybe 1 or 2 migraines since going gluten-free. Mine headaches alway start above one of my eyebrows and if it goes into a migraine, goes from my eyebrow down the side of my head to my ear. Always the same. They seem to be worse around my period or when barometric pressure changes.

They are, however, better since going gluten-free. :D So yay for that. Also, I just feel a whole lot better since going gluten-free, just waiting for my energy to return.
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

#21 Lisa16

Lisa16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:19 AM

The headaches I got were absolutely bar none the worst symptom, as in most debilitating. And I am factoring in multiple bouts of cramping diarreah. They were the most painful thing. I would be on my knees, pulling my hair with tears streaming down my face. Nothing would touch them. Nothing. Even when I had my gallbladder out or my hysterectomy, they gave me morphine. Morphine did not touch that headache. That is bad.

And they were getting worse-- more frequent. I was missing work. I was missing life.

And it happened that at the end I was down to eating "simple starches" and getting sicker and sicker.
For example, I would eat spaghetti and get sick. So I would think-- wow! It must be the spices or tomto sauce. I guess I won't eat those any more. Or I would eat a salad and get sick. So I would think-- wow! I must not be able to digest lettuce! I guess I better stop eating that. In the end I would eat toast, crackers, noodles in broth-- that sort of thing. My God! I went for over 20 years like this.

And I was getting these hideous headaches five times a week. I might only have one of two good days. Life stank. I almost lost it.

But since going gluten-free (Dec. 1 will be one year!) tyhe headaches are gone. I never once, never ever, got a bad one like that again. For that alone I will never eat another bagel.

Good luck!

#22 Sahara

Sahara

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:45 AM

Hi, I am the same age, 60, and have had great relief from headache since going gluten free. Of course every now and then, when out and being sociable I eat something containing gluten and within a day or two wham! with the headache. Just wondering whether others notice an immediate reaction to gluten re headaches or like me, a delayed one.

#23 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

Before going gluten free I would buy a bottle of Advil about once a month.

I went gluten free in March 2011 and have not needed to buy any since then - still have half a bottle left. I get occasional headaches (usually sinus related) now and then, but nowhere near what was "normal" for me in the past.

I was also diagnosed with GERD - supposedly from taking too much advil - but those symptoms have gone away since being gluten free as well.

Cara

#24 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

I had both migraine and sinus headaches, usually multiple times per week. Since I went gluten-free about 4 months ago, I've had two headaches. I used to go through so much Excedrin that I'm sure it wasn't healthy.

I was also treated for GERD, and haven't had any of those problems since going gluten-free either.

Seems to be a common theme.

I used to suffer from extreme anxiety too, and that has lessened since going gluten-free, but I still get mild anxiety. Hopefully it will go away completely once my body is totally healed.

#25 Ranne10

Ranne10

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

I've had migraines for 20 years 3-5 times per week. I've been on numerous meds to control them but nothing worked long. I carry Shots with me in case it gets bad at work.

I started my gluten free journey 6 weeks ago and I've had 3 migraines in that time. Thing is I can point to accidental gluten ingestion each of those times. Although its challenging and I do miss bread I will gladly stay gluten free to rid myself of the migraines! :)

#26 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

I tend to get a bad headache (or migraine) a few times a month. At this point, going gluten-free is really BAD for my headaches since I've had one for 2 weeks (with a day or so off in the middle). I have been gluten-free for 3 weeks. I am REALLY looking forward getting through this gluten withdrawl. Ugh.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#27 sschevychevelle

sschevychevelle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

Hi everyone, since I'm new here, can anyone tell me if headaches are a common symptom? I've been treated for migraines and tension headaches for years and was diagnosed with Celiac disease on September 1st. Thanks for the input.

Jebus

Hey Jebus, headaches were THE only symptom I experienced.  Well, one of 2.  The other was very infrequent vomiting and D episodes that would happen once every year or 2 when I ate too much buttery food.  I was convinced it was a gallbladder issue, but my doctor wanted to test for celiac also.  Turned out I had it.  Now a month into the gluten free diet, my headaches are definitely improving.  Still having them, but on average they are shorter, less intense, and there are more days where I don't have them.  Hoping it continues to improve!

#28 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

Hey Jebus, headaches were THE only symptom I experienced.  Well, one of 2.  The other was very infrequent vomiting and D episodes that would happen once every year or 2 when I ate too much buttery food.  I was convinced it was a gallbladder issue, but my doctor wanted to test for celiac also.  Turned out I had it.  Now a month into the gluten free diet, my headaches are definitely improving.  Still having them, but on average they are shorter, less intense, and there are more days where I don't have them.  Hoping it continues to improve!

Just an FYI - This thread is 7 years old.  Jebus hasn't been active since 2006.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#29 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

I almost never had headaches until a few years ago. Then just a bit after noticing what we thought was lactose intolerance, the headaches started. After my Celiac dx last year and going gluten-free, in a few months, the headaches stopped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: