This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cornmeal Pizza Crust

Susan M-G

Susan M-G Rookie

A couple of years ago, when I was living in Seattle, WA, I found and really enjoyed a frozen pizza with cornmeal crust (wheat and gluten free). When I first bought it, I delayed trying it because I just expected it to taste awful, but when I finally baked it, it was better (to me) than standard pizza crust. I bought it a couple more times, then could never find that brand again. I think it started with a "V". I erroneously bought an "Amy's" cornmeal crust pizza, without further scrutinizing the package, thinking I was getting the same all cornmeal crust, and paid for my mistake. I have never seen another all cornmeal crust pizza since then.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

hi

I know the pizza crust with the "V " beginning letter. I too got excited about them because it stated cornmeal crust but after reading the total ingredient list they also contain flour... They sell them at Whole Foods.

I was just there yesterday ...I wish I could remember the total name.

mamaw

Guhlia Rising Star

Vicolo???

INGREDIENTS

Corn Meal Crust (unbleached wheat flour, organic corn meal, water, canola oil, soybean oil, olive oil, yeast, salt), Whole Milk Mozzarella (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes), Tomato Sauce (whole tomatoes, garlic, herbs, spices, sugar, salt, calcium chloride, citric acid), Fontina (pasteurized cultured whole milk, salt & enzymes), Provolone (cultured pasteurized milk, enzymes, salt), Parmesan (pasteurized part-skim cow's milk, cheese culture, salt & enzymes), Parsley, Garlic, Oregano

Allergen Information: Contains wheat, soy and milk

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Seems to me we could take a gluten-free pizza crust recipe and substitute cornmeal for part of it and get good results...I don't know if it'll work, but this is the pizza crust I've been making recently, and it's quite good, though rather sticky--maybe adding cornmeal would help! I bet you caould add yeast for flavor, too....

RECIPE—gluten-free pizza Crust

¼ Cup milk

2 large eggs

1/3 cup cornstarch

2/3 cup rice flour

¼ teaspoon xanthan gum

1 teaspoon salt

¼ cup shortening, melted

Preheat oven to 400.

Mix milk and eggs together.

Add cornstarch, flour, xanthan gum, and salt.

Mix in melted shortening.

Spread into greased 9 x 13 pan, or in 12 inch circle about ¼ inch thick, leaving edges a bit higher.

Spread sauce, top with favorite toppings. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

That looks fantastic, and much easier than the sticky stuff I've been fighting with! Thanks so much for posting this, Mike!

Susan M-G Rookie
That looks fantastic, and much easier than the sticky stuff I've been fighting with! Thanks so much for posting this, Mike!

Thanks for all the replies! I'm really looking forward to trying them out...

Susan

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Guhlia

That's the name of the pizza!!!!Thanks I alway try to forget about a product if it contains anything we can'y have but I knew it contained flour... I guess my brain works part of the time...

Thanks Mike, see you soon.....mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived