Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Going To The Allergy Doctor Monday A.m For More Skin Tests...

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 azmom3

azmom3

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

My 2 year old had skin testing and blood work done several months ago and we discovered he is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and seeds. We are having additional testing done tomorrow for soy and wheat and the dr. said we will talk to find out what else I should have him tested for. I've noticed some problems with tomatoes and oranges, so I'm thinking of checking those and I heard corn is a big one for some people, right? Any recommendations on what I should be asking for? We suspect he's allergic to a lot of different things, but have not been able to pinpoint exactly what. I think we will be doing environmental ones as well since our other 2 kids have lots of environmental allergies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

Just be aware that some of his problems could stem from intolerances, not allergies. Intolerances can be just as debilitating, but won't show up on allergy testing. Also, anything that causes delayed reactions won't show up, either.

That's why for soy and milk, enterolab testing is probably the best choice. I am only saying this, because if he shows 'not allergic' to those things, that doesn't necessarily mean he is fine with them. Wheat, gluten, milk, soy, corn................and the list goes on about the things that cause me to be awfully sick, all didn't show up on either allergy or intolerance testing for me (the nightshade family did, though). Because most of them give me a delayed reaction of at least a few hours, up to several days.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 Simply_V

Simply_V

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:18 PM

My 2 year old had skin testing and blood work done several months ago and we discovered he is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and seeds. We are having additional testing done tomorrow for soy and wheat and the dr. said we will talk to find out what else I should have him tested for. I've noticed some problems with tomatoes and oranges, so I'm thinking of checking those and I heard corn is a big one for some people, right? Any recommendations on what I should be asking for? We suspect he's allergic to a lot of different things, but have not been able to pinpoint exactly what. I think we will be doing environmental ones as well since our other 2 kids have lots of environmental allergies.

Corn has a habit of not showing up on tests and is only accurately diagnosed through diet. No harm in testing for it, but don't get shocked if it doesn't show up. If it does show up in any amount of reaction, pay close attention to it.

I'd have him tested for anything you think might be a problem. Grains, tomatoes, oranges, soy/legumes (btw he could also have problems with soy because its closely related to peanuts).
V
Severe airborne allergies since childhood. Was on constant antihisamines with behavior issues. Digestion issues started noticably around 1985.
1992 IBS diagnosis.
2004 Corn allergy - through diet discovery.
2005 RAST negative to all food allergies. High cholesterol diagnosed as PCOS.
2006 Immunolabs ELISA and IgE assay:
IgE to Corn, Milk, Eggs, & White Bean.
IgG to peppers, blk/wt pepper, beans, almonds, yeasts.
Neg. to Celiac, gluten, etc. High IgA level.
2008 No longer considered as having PCOS, or associated risks.

Currently avoiding corn, eggs, cow & goat milk, all beans (cept some soy derivatives & peanut oil), cruciferous veggies, onions/garlic, carrots/celery, anything bilberry/cranberry/blueberry, peppers, and anything remotely corn derived, corntaminated.

Currently off all allergy medications for airborne allergies and breathing fine.

#4 azmom3

azmom3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:10 PM

Thanks Simply V and Ursula for all your ideas and suggestions!

I posted the update under another thread -- Dr. Thinks in might be eosinophilic esophagitis, not celiac.

I wish I could afford Enterolab. We hit our deductible and are taking advantage of everything though that is covered. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: