#1 woots

woots

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:11 AM

Hello all,

I initially posted this on the main forum by mistake, this is where I think it should be.

I have found this site and it is far better organised than the one we have over here in England. My daughter 19 months (Molly) was diagnosed some 3 months ago with Coeliacs, but was only diagnosed as Milk and Soya intolerant in the last couple of weeks after a few more weeks in hospital. Molly when she was 17 months old weighed less than when she was 9 months old. Thanksfully the change has been almost instant, she is more bubbly and outgoing now and less tired.

I have seen on your site links to the t-shirts etc which we cannot get in England and also a list of contacts. Does anyone know of a distributor who can supply the t-shirts to England as I only want a couple for my wife, Daugther and myself.

Does anyone have any help or advice they can offer at this stage for us. Particularly with cross-contamination issues as we are ever learning about this issue and do not know what degree to that this to.

thanks for your anticipated help.

Great site and forum.

Mark Wootton (England)
Daughter Molly (19months old) Gluten Free 06/04 + Milk / Soya Free (07/04)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:21 AM

At home I do a lot of things to prevent cross-contamination from gluten. I am very sensitive so I have to be extra careful. Here are some things that I do at home to avoid cross contamination.

1. Wipe down counter tops well before preparing food.
2. Check "clean" utensils, plates, and cookware for crumbs before using and wash again if necessary.
3. Buy new cookware if old cookware if scratched. If old cookware must be used just be very careful.
4. Use a separate toaster/toaster oven
5. Use separate deep fryer
6. Use separate butter/peanut butter/jam and label as Gluten-free if people can't remember.
7. Be careful when using the BBQ

Hope this helps! :)

-Carrie
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#3 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:04 AM

Hi Mark:
I don't have cross-contamination advice, but I am also gluten/dairy/soy intolerant. I learned about the dairy after being gluten-free almost 3 months and then the soy when I tried to substitute soy products for dairy. I would HIGHLY recommend that you look at www.gfcfdiet.com. That's a website for parents of autistic syndrome children who must keep their kids on a gluten and dairy free diet in order to control their symptoms. They publish a mainstream products shopping guide (which might not help in England), but it has a handy list of gluten and dairy containing ingredients to avoid. Their website also has lots of gluten-free/DF information. I would also recommend the cookbook by Connie Sarros entitled "Recipes for Special Diets" available through this website. Each recipe shows which of 12 dietary restricted foods are excluded or how to substitute for ingredients, when necessary. Keeping your kitchen gluten/dairy/soy free is tricky but doable. ;)
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#4 Guest_Lindam_*

Guest_Lindam_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:25 AM

Hi Mark,

I found this website and inquired for you and they will ship to England. The website is http://www.sansgluten.com/index.htm. I hop this helps for you. :)
Here's the email they sent me:

Dear Linda,

Yes, Sans Gluten does offer International shipping to England. Just add any
desired items to the shopping cart. On the checkout page type in your
shipping and payment options. Here is the current pricing on shipping:

International DHL Worldwide Europe: 9-12 business days
$7.00 for the first item + $4.00 for each additional item

There is also currently a coupon you can use at checkout for $3.00 off a
$30.00 purchase, just use code: BACK2SCHL

If you have any further questions please contact me anytime.

Sincerely,
Sunni Mullis
www.specialdiets.org
www.sansgluten.com

#5 woots

woots

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 02:04 AM

linda, thanks very much for that you have been a great help.

take care
mark
Daughter Molly (19months old) Gluten Free 06/04 + Milk / Soya Free (07/04)

#6 jsib

jsib

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:52 AM

Hi,
My son had allergy tests at 2 with all neg. results . Most drs. don't mention delayed Rast tests because they are not covered by insurance. They are worth it as my SON WAS allergic (highly) to soy and dairy.
In looking at the test results the nurse almost missed the celiacs marker in his tests because it was a standard test done but overlooked in her focus on the allergy tests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: