This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Do'h I Glutened Myself Thread

Saz

Saz Explorer

Hey Guys.

I've notcied people starting threads for when they gluten themselves, so I thought why not start one for everyone to post.

I've managed to gluten myself two possibly three times since Friday.

1. I did it delibrately, had a caramel sundae from Maccas, was intending on being extra extra careful for a few days after this.

2. Yesterday I glutened myslef again, it was accidental but still my fault as I didn't read the label. I bought a chocie milk (Woolworths brand) and for some reason half after drinking most of it decided to read the label, turns it has malt in it. I was SO pissed off it was the one thing that I bought that I didn't check the ingredients for.

3. Today I got some hot chips that I think may have had something bad in the flavouring.

I know that these are all my fault, esp the ice cream, but just wanted to vent, I had being doing so well. Oh well tomorrow is a new day I guess.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Saz--you must be a mind reader :D

I glutened myself yesterday (it hasn't happened in a long time) with some plain roasted almonds. They tasted like there was some spice on them, probably from a previous flavored batch. :angry:

I felt pretty crummy last night--still nauseous this morning. I am interested to see how this plays out, since it's been a while.

Hope you feel better soon :)

almostnrn Explorer

There must be something in the air lately!! <_< I don't know whats going on with me either...it seems like I get myself over one thing and BLAM I"ve gone and done it again. Quite honestly I don't know what is making my mood worse...the gluten or the frustration. Yesterday I was starving after work (I am home by 2:30). We need to head to the store this week so there aren't a ton of choices going on in the pantry or fridge if you know what I mean. I stared at a can of Progresso soup that I have seen on a gluten-free list for close to an hour....fianlly was too freaked out to try it given my glutening incidents of the last couple of weeks and put it up only to opt for some rice. I was too hungry to wait for the rice cooker to do its thing so I grabbed a bag of Success boil in bag rice. Needless to say it wasn't a success for me. It must be coated or something because it was an immediate and severe reaction that laid me out for the rest of the day. At least I had a big AH HA moment in there. When I first went gluten-free I still was still having these tummy aches..burning, cramping bloating and couldn't figure out why...but it just made me want to curl up in a ball. I invested in a rice cooker around last April and really haven't had any kind of instant rice since then...until yesterday. Unfortunately that doesn't make me feel any better today. Just wondering...does anyone else have that immediate thought when you are eating someting questionable or new that "this tastes too good, must have wheat in it" going on? I hope you are all back to up and running soon (really no pun intenended)!

Saz Explorer

This is where I am very lucky, I won't get sick from it I would have to drink about 100 litres of the milk. This can sometimes be a bad a thing as this makes it possible for me to get glutened when Im out and have no way of knowing, though I try to stick to stuff that is gluten-free. Up untill 2 months ago I was haiving 2 gluten-free days a week, I could eat a sandwich on the other days as long as I spaced it out right.

Feel better!

Anway Im getting off topic.

Guest melannen

Ok I'll add my most recent gluten episodes...

1. About a month ago: I hadn't been very good about eating regularly through the day (I don't really feel hunger and have to remind myself to eat) so when daddy brought home a big order of nachos from a local take away I ate a bunch without thinking....BIG MISTAKE! Ugh, started feeling a bit sick that night and woke up miserable. I am just now feeling back up to speed (thank goodness!)

2. About 2 weeks ago: I was having a friend over to watch movies and had bought an Amy's frozen pizza. When I bought it I thought "Amy's; they make gluten-free stuff" and didn't check the ingredients (stupid stupid stupid!). Lucky for me I was saved when my friend was glancing at the back of the box and noticed 'wheat flour' at the top of the ingredients list :o

arc Newbie

Freakin' Krackel bars! I thought they were okay, but it turns out that have malt. Of course, it was one of the minis, so they don't have the ingredients listed on the wrapper. I was sick within a couple of hours and it laid me up for part of the weekend. :angry:

elye Community Regular

Well, tonight should be very interesting gluten-wise, with all our trick-or-treaters bringing home tons of irresistable stuff.... :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

emcmaster Collaborator

I glutened myself on Sunday. I don't know why I gave in, but I did, and I ate mexican food at my favorite, to-die-for mexican place.

The funny thing is that I'm not feeling all of my usual symptoms. I have the back pain and severe fatigue, but not the bloating and I've only had tummy pain for about an hour before bed last night. Guess I should be thanking my lucky stars, right?

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I got glutened the other week as well.

The sad thing is I knew better about the place.

I had a brainfart and decided to go to a buffet with my gluten-free -- she had free buffet passes.

I was careful and I asked 100 questions.

I still got nailed and it stayed with me for 2.5 days.

Like I said, I knew better than to try and eat at a buffet -- I just thought I was "King Gluten Free" and could handle it -- obviously not...

:(

liljules5 Rookie

I ate pei-wei to go tonight. I have always had wonderful success with them being gluten-free and if it isnt fixing the problem before I eat anything...well somehow 2 gluten filled noodles (flat noodles) ended up in my gluten-free sweet and sour chix. I mistakenly ate one thinking it was an onion and then of course freaked out when i realized it wasnt an onion and i found another noodle....needless to say I am feeling pretty crappy already and it is just going to get worse over the night :angry:

penguin Community Regular

Today: The chinese place that is accomodating to celiacs put regular fried rice in with my gluten-free meal. I ate probably two bites of the rice, stupid me. I'm itchy and with an upset stomach...blech!

LoriBelle Newbie

Hi Everyone!

I'm new here - at least in posting - but I've been lurking and reading for quite a while. I've been gluten-free for a little over three years.

I absolutely love Werther's Caramels and tonight, as I was throwing away the empty bag (hadn't eaten any - just emptied them out into the candy dish on my desk) my eyes happened to catch the word WHEAT on the back!!! ACK!! It says it contains wheat?? OMG! I've been eating at least one almost daily for the past two years. I thought these were gluten free! I had read online in a couple of different places that they were gluten free - and didn't check the ingredients again after the new labeling went into effect.

Anyone else eat Werther's Caramels, thinking they were gluten free? I'm so sad and angry. I'm very careful about avoiding gluten at all costs and now I see I've been poisoning myself all this time!! I still do have tummy problems on a pretty regular basis but not so bad that I was searching out a possible gluten exposure somewhere. argh!!!

almostnrn Explorer

I hate it when that happens!!!! I hope you are feeling 100% soon!

BostonCeliac Apprentice

Ughh... just got back from lunch out with the office... I think I was definitely glutened by accident...

I thought I would be fine, I had a burger with cheese - NO BUN OF COURSE, and fries (have had the fries at this place many times)... must have been the burger right? The fries may have been fried with other stuff too, but I'm sure it's always that way and it's never bothered me before...

Not happy right now. I don't think I've been glutened accidently in about a month - which is a long time for me only being about 3 mos. gluten-free...

Thanks for letting me vent!!!!!

Tori's Dad Apprentice

almostnrn, The plain white Success boil in bag rice is gluten free...did you eat one of the brown or chicken flavored ones?

almostnrn Explorer
almostnrn, The plain white Success boil in bag rice is gluten free...did you eat one of the brown or chicken flavored ones?

Nope it was plain white...I wonder if there is something else on the rice that I"m reacting to? I also have to say I can't rule out that the box somehow got contaminated. Whatever it was it happened incredibally fast!

ianm Apprentice

I had gone over a year with no gluten either intentional or accidental. I used a new shampoo and didn't read the label. The bottle even had the words HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTIEN prominently displayed on it too.

SarahTorg Apprentice

I have REALLY eaten something bad!

I can not pinpoint what though. I've been eating a lot of plain hershey bars. and I ate an entire bag of hersheys kisses with caramel in them. And I cooked food at my inlaws house in their scratched up teflon pans. That was probably the worse mistake. Oh, and today I ate a nutrageous fun sized candybar. I was not sure if it was gluten free or not. I still ate it. In the last month, I've been eating so much chocolate. I don't think I've EVER in my life consumed so much sweets like I have this month.

Every morning I wake up, and vow to eat all natural, only to buy a hersheybar, or something at the store.

georgie Enthusiast

I had a mad moment last week and ate some home cooked lemon pudding. It was a type of souffle and had little flour and I thought a couple of spoons wouldn't hurt - right ? WRONG !!! SIX days later still have incred pain, and even had a migraine 2 days ago. I can't believe it would last this long !! :angry:

Guest marshlakemom

Well I did a real stupid thing last night, I went to Pizza Hut with friends, had hot wings.....stupid. Had diarreah as soon as I got home, even though they are listed as being gluten free.

I get so frustrated trying to eat out, as we all want to be able to go out once inawhile, but I'm beginning to realize it just isn't worth it anymore. Spend a fortune on a meal, then come and ****^&* it out. LOL Worse than someone with a eating disorder.

Oh well...onward and bound as I say.

I just find that I try (normally) to keep gluten-free, but I still always feel so darn fatigued and my sleep, well I just don't get much sleep, and my skin is always so dry and itchy. Drives me nuts.

Its hard when you live in a small community, and eating out places are limited.

Just my grumble for the day.

Deb

SchnauzerMom Rookie

I have been off of gluten for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I ate some leftover Halloween candy that I thought was gluten free. Well, it wasn't and I'm still paying for it. The candy doesn't appeal to me anymore since it makes me sick. I used to think I had to have it. No more. Pain is not something I enjoy. ;)

aikiducky Apprentice

I hope I haven't glutened/caseined myself... I'm at the stage where I have gas, and my heart flutters, and I'm a bit bloated, and I just don't know whether it's just indigestion or if I'll wake up tomorrow with no energy at all and feeling depressed. I usually don't get major d, it's the messing with my head that I'm worried about. And it's still going to take hours before I know for sure. :(

I haven't eaten anything suspect, but I was at a cafe and had some tea, and some wine I'm not sure about...

Blaah.

Pauliina

• 4 years later...
pelsteen Newbie

Lemon or Grater glutened me!

Three and one half months after going gluten free, I was sick for 5 days, cramping all night for 14-16 hours in bed, and unable to figure out what was wrong. I ate only single ingredient foods or combinations of them. I went off all five drugs I would normally take, and was still sick. As I lay in bed awake and cramping, I cried out to God: "I give up; I can't figure out what is making me sick" He replied: "lemon bars:" the carefully made gluten-free lemon bars I had made the first day I was sick! I replied "How could I get glutened by them?" and God answered "the grated lemon peel!" OOOHH! I hadn't washed the lemon before grating it, and I hadn't washed the grater again before using it!

How do you get all of the gluten off a grater?

cap6 Enthusiast

I would get a new one.

glutenfreemamax2 Enthusiast

I glutened myself bad this past weekend. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has done this to MYSELF..... :)

I went on aday trip with my inlaws. I ate before I went, knowing there was not going to be anything accessable. We went to a resturant, and I asked if they had a gluten-free menu. She said "a what?" I ordered a bowl of lettuce in a CLEAN bowl not touching croutons, ranch dressing, and a pain piece of grilled chicken, cooked please on a clean grill. It was really yummy. Then we went for frozen yogert, and they brought me out all the packages they used to make the yogert. All I saw that was questionable was emulsifiers. I ate it anyway. My stomach instantly hurt.

Today is Wed. It's been 4 days. FOr the past 2 days i have had the worst pain in my stomach. Almost sore. Inflamed. Some blood in my stool. I'm miserable. I vowed to plan ahead better and not eat out anymore!!

I HATE feeling bad.

Archived