#1 Mamato2boys

Mamato2boys

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:45 PM

:unsure:

So it seems now that I've gone gluten-free, more and more food sensitivities are cropping up. Dairy, soy, oats (probably from cc). Yesterday I had 2 apples and noticed they hurt my stomach. I was at work and starving (I inadvertently didn't bring enough food), and noticed the first apple bothered me a few hours earlier. But I figured between the apple and gluten-rich foods, I'd be better off eating the apple. I seem to remember apples bothering me years ago when I was a kid, but somehow managed to forget about that. I get a really uncomfortable stabbing sensation in my stomach. It almost feels like a sharp piece of apple is jabbing me in the stomach from the inside ! :o

~sigh~

Anybody else experience something like this ? :huh:
Ryan 10/13/03 - milk allergy diagnosed at five months after receiving first bottle of milk-based formula, reacted instantly with facial hives/swelling...later diagnosed with egg, cat, dog allergies as well. Also allergic to soy despite allergist denying. Recurrent diarrhea/chronic soft stools undiagnosed until 9/19/06 - GI doctor said recurrent diarrhea not a problem. Tested through EnteroLabs:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 15 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 10 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 352 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 11 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0503
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)
Acute/Chronic Colitis Stool Test
Fecal lactoferrin Negative (Normal - Negative)

Aiden - 7/29/06 No known allergies thus far, but will be raised on gluten-free/CF/soy-free diet since both DH and I carry GS gene.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:50 PM

I can't drink oj on an empty stomach, and tend not to eat fruit when I'm hungry. Maybe you're just sensitive to the fructose and you noticed it more this time because it was all you ate.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 Mamato2boys

Mamato2boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:56 PM

I hope so. I noticed it the past couple times I've eaten them but was kind of in denial that's what it was.
Ryan 10/13/03 - milk allergy diagnosed at five months after receiving first bottle of milk-based formula, reacted instantly with facial hives/swelling...later diagnosed with egg, cat, dog allergies as well. Also allergic to soy despite allergist denying. Recurrent diarrhea/chronic soft stools undiagnosed until 9/19/06 - GI doctor said recurrent diarrhea not a problem. Tested through EnteroLabs:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 15 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 10 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 352 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 11 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0503
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)
Acute/Chronic Colitis Stool Test
Fecal lactoferrin Negative (Normal - Negative)

Aiden - 7/29/06 No known allergies thus far, but will be raised on gluten-free/CF/soy-free diet since both DH and I carry GS gene.

#4 Gamecreature

Gamecreature

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:58 PM

I don't know how long you've been going gluten-free but I've been about 5 weeks and I've had similar experiences. I'll be hungry all of the time and apples tend to make me feel a little queesy.

However, the feeling disapates rather quicky and it seems to be related to the size of the apple. Just about everything I eat these days will cause some reaction or other simply because my intestine is just beginning to heal and still can't process food 100%.

I agree that protein is the best thing to reach for. When I used to reach for chocolate as an after dinner snack, now I'll reach for a hot dog (Jenny-O turkey frank wrapped in a corn tortilla). If a large meal upsets your system, try smaller meals spread out over the day - find some way to work in some protien (such as cheese or peanut butter) and I think you'll find you're staying "full" longer.
It's not about winning, it's about having fun while you play. Gamecreature

#5 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:34 PM

for the first eight months or so, only about 7 foods didn't bother me. apples still do, actually. only a few fruit i can down without getting really irritated.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#6 Guest_AutumnE_*

Guest_AutumnE_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:30 PM

Do you have a corn allergy or corn intolerance? I read that the wax in apple skins may contain corn. I have problems with apples also.

#7 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:36 PM

One morning I ate 3 apples for breakfast, and yes a couple of hours later, I felt like I had been "glutened". I called my mother crying and asking her what I should/could do.
I LOVE JESUS!

#8 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

I have a good friend who had a similar experience and discovered that it was the peel of the apple. She can eat them if she peels them first.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#9 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

I have a good friend who had a similar experience and discovered that it was the peel of the apple. She can eat them if she peels them first.

Liz, you are right, there have been a few of us that have found that we can tollerate apples quite nicely if we peel them first. The skin is very difficult to digest.

#10 Riayn

Riayn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

A small proportion of celiacs have fructose intolerance - and the fruit that tops the list is apples. Fructose intolerance can be diagnosed by a hydrogen breath test. If you are still experiencing problems with apples and other fruits and vegetables it may be worth getting yourself tested for it.

#11 Rebecca47

Rebecca47

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:05 PM

I also have to peel my apples, I don't like the skin of apples and I never have, to make it stranger I also put a little salt on them brings out the juices better. :)
[font=Comic Sans MS]Diagnosed Celiac Sprue Disease August, 02, 2006
Blood test, No Biopsy
IgA off the scale 44 now 3
IgG 56
(tTG) IgA 25 now 2
(tTG) IgG 1 now 1
now border line low iron 10

Gluten Free since August, 02, 2007
Diagnosed with Osteoporosis November 2006
As of Jan 2007 all numbers looking good

As of Feb 2007 no more Pork, having Allergic reactions
Lactose Intolerence

#12 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:54 PM

I've had trouble digesting apples, too, so I'm careful about eating them. I do better with the less sweet varieties, and I always peel them - the peel has so many chemicals and fungacides on it and I'm sure not all has been washed off before they're dipped in wax so that you can't get it off even if you want to - I just don't want to be ingesting all that with the apple. And I think not eatnig the peel makes it more digestable, for me, anyway.

Also, initially after going on the gluten-free diet I would get stomach pain after eating about any raw fruit or vegetable. It took a couple months for this problem to resolve itself and now I can tolerate raw much better.
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#13 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

Apple skin is really high in fiber, if you eat enough of them it can give you D and that's in someone with a normal digestive system, so its very possible you're reacting to the high fiber content. I know that I had to watch how much fiber I got for the first six months or so, cause too much fiber would get my tummy agurglin.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#14 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:17 AM

Fruit bothers some people, and some folks are able to eat an apple w/o the skin.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: