5 replies to this topic

#1 Alison

Alison

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 08:55 PM

Has anyone experienced really long menstrual cycles? I was on the pill for many years and then was diagnosed with celiac. I went gluten free and then a few months later went off the pill. I didn't have my period for a few months and had to take progesterone to get it started. Now I get it only about every 37 days (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter) and it is barely there. I am curious if this happened to anyone and if you ever got regular and/or pregnant?
Alison
- Diagnosed celiac 2002
- Husband is gluten sensitive
- Daughters are gluten-free and one daughter has severe food allergies

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shelagh_e

shelagh_e

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 08:30 PM

have you tended to be anemic along with being celiac? I am- and once I started taking daily iron supplements, everything straightened out....

#3 healthy1

healthy1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 08:45 PM

I have the opposite problem, I get it 2x a month for about 9 days each time, I was always regular until my last child, it took about 16 months to become regular again, then when I went gluten-free, it is all crazy again, I don't even know when to expect it anymore, or how long it will last, and when I do have it, it comes and goes 2 days here, then gone a day or 2, for about 9 days. I haven't asked my dr. about it yet, but will next time I see him. anyone experience this before?

#4 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 08:58 PM

Alison, I was wondering how long you have been gluten-free, as well as off the pill? I took birth control pills for about 5 years and then stopped taking them. I didn't have a period for about 6 months and then had one about every two months and then they slowly worked their way to somewhere around a month(give or take a week). I got pregnant about two years after I stopped taking the pill, and after I resumed mentruation following the pregnancy I have been regular (every 27-29 days). This was all before I knew I had celiac disease and before I even knew what gluten was. I have heard that gluten can mess with your cycle, and I think it did for me, until after my first pregnancy, now I think it just makes my headaches and cramps worse during my period. Gluten free is the best way to live! And although I feel tired all the time on gluten I have never once tested anemic, only borderline, when I'm pregnant.
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 09:11 PM

I do FAM, so I chart, and know when I ovulate. Honestly, if I accidentally ingest much gluten in the few days before I ovulate, my body goes "hey, there, I don't like poison" and holds off on the ovulation - thus delaying my period. (Kinda annoying... really...)

Tiffany
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 njlawtonuk@yahoo.co.uk

njlawtonuk@yahoo.co.uk

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:34 AM

hello
:rolleyes:
i'm new to this board. when reading your comments a question popped into my head.
are you sure your pill is gluten free? have you checked the ingredients? i phoned the company in the end to absolutely be sure before i started taking it.

hope this helps. n.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: