Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Irregular Cycle

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone experienced really long menstrual cycles? I was on the pill for many years and then was diagnosed with celiac. I went gluten free and then a few months later went off the pill. I didn't have my period for a few months and had to take progesterone to get it started. Now I get it only about every 37 days (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter) and it is barely there. I am curious if this happened to anyone and if you ever got regular and/or pregnant?

Ads by Google:

have you tended to be anemic along with being celiac? I am- and once I started taking daily iron supplements, everything straightened out....

I have the opposite problem, I get it 2x a month for about 9 days each time, I was always regular until my last child, it took about 16 months to become regular again, then when I went gluten-free, it is all crazy again, I don't even know when to expect it anymore, or how long it will last, and when I do have it, it comes and goes 2 days here, then gone a day or 2, for about 9 days. I haven't asked my dr. about it yet, but will next time I see him. anyone experience this before?

Alison, I was wondering how long you have been gluten-free, as well as off the pill? I took birth control pills for about 5 years and then stopped taking them. I didn't have a period for about 6 months and then had one about every two months and then they slowly worked their way to somewhere around a month(give or take a week). I got pregnant about two years after I stopped taking the pill, and after I resumed mentruation following the pregnancy I have been regular (every 27-29 days). This was all before I knew I had celiac disease and before I even knew what gluten was. I have heard that gluten can mess with your cycle, and I think it did for me, until after my first pregnancy, now I think it just makes my headaches and cramps worse during my period. Gluten free is the best way to live! And although I feel tired all the time on gluten I have never once tested anemic, only borderline, when I'm pregnant.

Mariann

I do FAM, so I chart, and know when I ovulate. Honestly, if I accidentally ingest much gluten in the few days before I ovulate, my body goes "hey, there, I don't like poison" and holds off on the ovulation - thus delaying my period. (Kinda annoying... really...)

Tiffany

hello

:rolleyes:

i'm new to this board. when reading your comments a question popped into my head.

are you sure your pill is gluten free? have you checked the ingredients? i phoned the company in the end to absolutely be sure before i started taking it.

hope this helps. n.