5 replies to this topic

#1 Helena

Helena

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:18 AM

I thought I was doing really well at avoiding gluten . . . and suddenly while going to sleep last night I realized that the herbal tea I drank that day contained oatstraw. Does oatstraw contain gluten? (I'm not sure if I can tolerate oats. I was planning on being gluten free for a good long time before trying gluten-free oats)
positive tTG and antigliadin blood tests for celiac (summer 2006)
positive dietary response

environmental and food allergies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

i googled it out of curiousity and came up with conflicting results. i would assume that it isn't, for the reason of oats being cross-contaminted in general. i wouldn't risk it - but i would also call the company if you can't part with your tea.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#3 Helena

Helena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

Thanks---I decided to get rid of the tea. I woke up the next day not feeling that good . . . seasonal allergies were noticably worse and I felt kind of foggy and my stomach was off (D). But I'm not sure that it was the oatstraw----I noticed before that I reacted to that tea (and stayed away from it for awhile). I figured that it might be another ingredient--I react to legumes, and red clover is a legume. Last night I also ate a few canned mandarin oranges that made my throat itchy (I'm thinking the "sugar" used to preserve it was corn-based. I'm allergic to corn). And I also tried xanthan gum . . . which might not be okay because of the corn allergy. So who knows if it was the oatstraw or not.

I guess I was hoping it wasn't the oatstraw . . . because that would probably mean I won't be able to tolerate gluten free oats. (I bought the tea from a craft show---the oatstraw is grown on a family farm . . . I'm pretty sure they just grow herbs there so I doubt that there would be wheat.)

#4 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:16 PM

I don't eat the gluten-free oats, but I'm glad you ditched it. I find that quinoa flakes work well as an alternative, and the 'rule of thumb' is to introduce the oats slowly, after a while. I'm sure in time you can! Right now, feel better :)
Gluten-free, Vegan

#5 Helena

Helena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:52 AM

Thanks! I hope I can have oats too . . .but not a good idea right now as you say. Quinoa, unfortunately, is out for me :( I tend to have problems with seeds (allergies).

#6 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:57 AM

I stay away from oats..some people react to the protein in even pure oats. The protein called avenin is similar is structure to the protein in wheat and things we can't have. Anyhow, I am not ready to risk being sick for a long period of time. I would say you should probably avoid the oatstraw
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: