5 replies to this topic

#1 HawkFire

HawkFire

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:02 AM

I use a lot of cilantro and was interested in the health benefits of the herb. I looked it up and was surprised to discover it has been used for centuries as an anti- inflamatory, it aids in digestion and has antibacterial properties in it's oil that help kill the unwanted in your intestines! I have been using it for some years now and suspect that it is the reason why I've long had satisfactory health. Despite the Celiac, I felt my transition was smooth. Also, Cilantro aids in keeping a person regular. I wanted to pass this information along as I have been reading of many having troubles within their digestive tracts.

Here is my favorite recipe.

1 bunch of Cilantro
1 Quarter of a head of lettuce
1 Quarter of a head of purple cabbage
2 medium tomatoes (seeded)
2 tbs Olive oil
shake of garlic salt

Opt. 1 clove of diced garlic (some do not like the strong flavor of fresh garlic)

Chop all into small bits. Combine in a bowl. Toss with olive oil and garlic salt.

I use this in many wraps, with tortillas, nachos and as a side salad.

I prepare it nearly every day. Very mild taste.
The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamazoocrew

mamazoocrew

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:13 PM

Sounds tasty!!! I bet it's good with avocado!!

Thanks!

#3 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:24 PM

I've got cilantro growing just outside my front door!

#4 lightningfoot speakin words

lightningfoot speakin words

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:26 PM

yum yum! I will have to try that. Sounds kinda like something that would be good for a mexican dinner, maybe.
"Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Because, then you are a mile away AND you have their shoes!"

Diagnosed Jan. of 2006

Love good, Don't bad, dig a bone, ultimate chalenge NOT SUPERMAN, Don't cut grass, plant a lot of flowers and thats it.
(My adorable cuz Cameron wanted to help edit my signature, and he is four.)

Love me, LOVE MY CAT!

Breeding man with cat would improve man but deteriorate the cat.
-Mark Twain

#5 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

hm, sounds good, but I am not a huge fan of the taste of cilantro. anyone have good recipes that downplay the spice? I would love the benefit to my stomach!
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#6 Ellen

Ellen

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:51 AM

I use a lot of cilantro and was interested in the health benefits of the herb. I looked it up and was surprised to discover it has been used for centuries as an anti- inflamatory, it aids in digestion and has antibacterial properties in it's oil that help kill the unwanted in your intestines!

It's also a chelator...helps pull toxic metals (lead, mercury, aluminum, etc) out of your system. It doesn't, however, flush them from your system...you need garlic for that. So this wrap mix sounds like a good healthy flush for people with metal sensitivites too. ;)
Ellen
Diabetic for 30 years, Celiac for 1.5 years
Mom of one daughter on Gluten-free/Caisen-free diet, and another "normal" non-food allergied daughter
Wife to a husband of allergy to ALL antibiotics, to the point of where he cna't eat poultry or fish because they absorbe it in their meat when slaughtered.
Basically a family that eats NOTHING without a reaction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: